Replacing Original Factory Tires Before 10K

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JayLeonard

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 L Cummins
At 33000 miles I just replaced the factory transforce ATs with Michelin Defender LTX and after close to 1000 miles I like them so far. The oem tires still had some tread left but they were getting crappier in the rain.

MTDewX8

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I got about 30k on my stock 22 tires 3500 Dually , only switched because I got a second set of summer rims, (stock steel now have winter tires for winter) but there was still some hwy tread left. but dam fronts outer edge went fast (guessing toe-in from factory). second set of stock take off's to burn I had it aligned and they are wearing much better in the front.

DodgeDude99

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I went thru 2 sets of Firestone Transforce HT’s by 31k miles.
I have 79k miles & have gone thru 2 sets of 35” Toyo AT2 (the 2nd set has maybe 3500 left on them).

I loved the factory tires for Highway mileage, snow & ice they sucked.

2Tallguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 diesel
If you are a mostly highway hauler, then take a look at Michelin Defender LTX M/S LT tires.
Albeit I'm in a 1500 and not a 3500, but, same-same-but-different ;)

They are Load Range 'E' and 10-ply and have incredible road manners with excellent wet/rain traction. Just my opinion though.

I've had the stocks, I've had the BFG KO2's, and now I'm on the Michelin's, and for me anyways, the Michelin's are a fantastic tire.

They also have great warranty support from the factory, too.
Agreed. Dodge used to equip the HD's with Michelin's.

redvetram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar V6 3.7
Curious, what Cooper did you get , I couldn’t be happier with the Cooper AT3 XLT’s , to date best tire I’ve run on my Ram 3500 . No more Toyos for me .
LOVE my Cooper AT3’s. I actually get them siped and run them as my snow tire.

Txguy51

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
That’s pretty low mileage even for OE’s . I got 25k out of mine . Firestone Transforce HT’s .

My 2014 3500 is pretty tough on tires , I too tow a heavy fifth wheel . I rotate every 5k . Went thru a set of Toyo AT2’s in less than 40k . Trying a set of Cooper AT3 XLT’s . So far it’s the best handling tire I’ve run so far on this truck , time will tell on mileag
Curious, what Cooper did you get , I couldn’t be happier with the Cooper AT3 XLT’s , to date best tire I’ve run on my Ram 3500 . No more Toyos for me .
ive had 3 sets of Coopers and you can’t go wrong. And made in the USA

chopperdog45

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD 6.7
I got just over 13K miles on my OEM Firestones. The tires were worn to the treadwear indicator bars, and two of the tires were cracking on the sidewalls. I decided not to submit a warranty claim because I did not want another set of these tires on my truck. I went with Michelin Defenders and have put around 4K miles on them and am very happy with them so far.

OP
OP
zzzxhk

zzzxhk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
I got just over 13K miles on my OEM Firestones. The tires were worn to the treadwear indicator bars, and two of the tires were cracking on the sidewalls. I decided not to submit a warranty claim because I did not want another set of these tires on my truck. I went with Michelin Defenders and have put around 4K miles on them and am very happy with them so far.
Haven't made it to the treadwear indicators, but I wouldn't be surprised if they show around the same time. I'll probably do the same thing, skip the warranty hassle and get the better tire.

Our next 2.5 week vacation end of Sept is going to be 3500 miles round trip to see families towing the 5er. So will probably swap out this week or next.

thanks (everyone).

1stindoor

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
'23 2500 MegaCab
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I replaced my original Transforces at about 33k, with BFGs. I normally go with Nittos, but at the time (COVID) I couldn't get them. I'm in Nittos now and generally get about 50k out of them.

ppine

Forester
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 liter diesel
Some people are going thru 4 sets of tires to get to 79 k miles?
It must have a lot to do with how you drive, especially cornering speed.
I can get 42-48k miles out of a set of Toyos or Coopers. My Transforce tires have only 11k miles but look brand new.

Razzman

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited CCSB
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Dumped the Transforce tires at 10K, couldn't stand them. Put on Falken Wildpeak AT3/W and love them. 15K on them now and you can barely see any wear at all.

runamuck

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 dsl
Dumped the Transforce tires at 10K, couldn't stand them. Put on Falken Wildpeak AT3/W and love them. 15K on them now and you can barely see any wear at all.
do you do any towing. if so how do they do then. am also thinking of that tire for my 2500 dsl because the wet traction of these oem's is not very good.

Razzman

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited CCSB
Engine
6.7 Cummins
do you do any towing. if so how do they do then. am also thinking of that tire for my 2500 dsl because the wet traction of these oem's is not very good.
Yeah the wet, off-road sucks for sure on the stock tires. I tow a 7K trailer and am off-road a lot with it, that's why I put them on the trailer too for added protection. Of the 15K on the tires now, 12K is towing. I have no complaint with the tires at all. I run them 65F/50R when not towing and 65/65 towing. Mine are LT285/65R20 and fit the factory wheels perfectly. I did add the Mopar rubber mudflaps as any A/T tire picks up rocks.