*RESOLVED* Modification of the 4WD switch to add "4WD AUTO" mode???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

muddy12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
From the Owners Manual:

4WD AUTO Four-Wheel Drive Auto High Range — This range sends power to the front wheels. The four–wheel drive system will be automatically engaged when the vehicle senses a loss of traction. Additional traction for varying road conditions.

4WD LOCK Four-Wheel Drive Lock High Range — This range maximizes torque to the front driveshaft, forcing the front and rear wheels to rotate at the same speed. Additional traction for loose, slippery road surfaces only.

This all sounds good in theory. If it actually worked this way in practice, I don’t think there would be as many unhappy 44-44 owners.
The way it was marketed (by advertising and sales people), lead buyers to believe that when 4WD LOCK was selected, the front and rear driveshafts were mechanically “locked” together.
That is not the case however. Even in 4wd lock, some slip is required to engage the ball ramp clutch mechanism to send power to the front wheels.

The amount of slip required to engage the front wheels can vary widely from truck to truck. This is why some owners have issues and some are happy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

John Jensen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
I haven't had any problems. Should I have the need to overcome the issues some are describing I have installed Brandon's clutch lockup switch and modified the system to be able to turn off ESC & TCS on the fly.

I don't understand all the complaining, it works as it's advertised to work in theory and in actual use.

ScLeCo

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Supercharged 426
I haven't had any problems. Should I have the need to overcome the issues some are describing I have installed Brandon's clutch lockup switch and modified the system to be able to turn off ESC & TCS on the fly.

I don't understand all the complaining, it works as it's advertised to work in theory and in actual use.
For you John, it works for you.
This may blow your mind but there are other people and these people may not have the same exact experiences as you. They may even use their trucks differently, and in different conditions, and have different expectations.
It's called empathy John. The ability to understand and share the feelings of another person.

John Jensen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
I have empathy, but not for statements like, "This all sounds good in theory. If it actually worked this way in practice". All I'm trying to relate is that it does work as advertised. And there are solutions for deficiencies for others who "may even use their trucks differently".

If I've said anything wrong I will gladly accept the criticism and make a correction, but I don't need a lecture on empathy.

DeckArtist

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ok so if I am in 4wd lock and the rear tires aren't slipping I am only powered by the rear wheels? to me that makes zero sense. And all my other four-wheel-drive’s when I selected four high or low all four tires were turning under power, so if I’m reading this correctly this is not the case with my current four-wheel-drive truck.

ScLeCo

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Supercharged 426
No John you do.
"I haven't had any problems." "I don't understand all the complaining"
Your words.

ScLeCo

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Supercharged 426
Ok so if I am in 4wd lock and the rear tires aren't slipping I am only powered by the rear wheels? to me that makes zero sense.
Yes, and no it doesn't make any sense.

John Jensen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
No John you do.
"I haven't had any problems." "I don't understand all the complaining"
Your words.

Interesting that you would take two comments from two different paragraphs and make it fit your accusation. I believe they call that "taking it out of context".

Get real, is it that important?

Tim Garceau

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport Quad BSP
Engine
3.92 8 Speed 5.7 4X4
Great time to be alive isn’t it? We’re still competitive in our views regarding a similar method of transportation over an electronic network.

God bless!

John Jensen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
Ok so if I am in 4wd lock and the rear tires aren't slipping I am only powered by the rear wheels? to me that makes zero sense. And all my other four-wheel-drive’s when I selected four high or low all four tires were turning under power, so if I’m reading this correctly this is not the case with my current four-wheel-drive truck.Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The manual says:
4WD LOCK Four-Wheel Drive Lock High Range — This range maximizes torque to the front driveshaft, forcing the front and rear wheels to rotate at the same speed. Additional traction for loose, slippery road surfaces only.

I need help. Why do you say "only powered by the rear wheels?" I thought 4WD lock made power to one wheel in front and one wheel in the rear. If either powered wheel spun then power is transferred to the opposite wheel.

I need more help when you say, "all my other four-wheel-drive’s when I selected four high or low all four tires were turning under power"

I am not aware of any 4WD that turns all 4 wheels all the time unless they have positive lockers both front and rear. Did yours? Or ???

I'm not challenging what you said, I'm merely trying to learn all I can.

DeckArtist

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yes I am used to front and rear lockers. I know this truck did not have them when I bought it. Before my post the explanation you seek is spelled out clearly by someone else who stated that the front wheels don’t turn in four wheel drive lock until the rear wheels lose traction.

John Jensen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
Yes I am used to front and rear lockers. I know this truck did not have them when I bought it. Before my post the explanation you seek is spelled out clearly by someone else who stated that the front wheels don’t turn in four wheel drive lock until the rear wheels lose traction. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks.
Yes, I read the post that made that comment. I did not think it was entirely accurate and made a note to follow-up and get some verification. I know it's correct with 4WD Auto but not sure about 4WD Lock or 4WD Low.

muddy12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi

I have empathy, but not for statements like, "This all sounds good in theory. If it actually worked this way in practice". All I'm trying to relate is that it does work as advertised. And there are solutions for deficiencies for others who "may even use their trucks differently".

If I've said anything wrong I will gladly accept the criticism and make a correction, but I don't need a lecture on empathy.

Sorry if this gets a little long, but here's a little back story, and why I'm unhappy with the 44-44/the way it was marketed/sold, and why I said, "..sounds good in theory......"

I read the literature, including the whole bit about how 4wd lock " maximizes torque to the front driveshaft, forcing the front and rear wheels to rotate at the same speed." I took this to mean that when 4wd lock (and 4lo) was selected, the front and rear drive shafts would be locked together, and that it would behave just like a traditional part time transfer case. The salesman at the dealership also assured me that this is how it worked. Having had other vehicles (although not FCA) with similar electronic shift transfer cases with both "auto" and "lock" modes, I had no cause to doubt that this was in fact how the 44-44 operated.

A little while after purchase, I was doing some construction at my home, and needed to back a trailer load of decking material into position next to my house. Because of the way my yard slopes, I had to back uphill, with a slight off camber angle. I first tried to position the trailer with the truck in 2wd, which lead to the rear tires slipping, and the back of the truck sliding sideways. I re positioned the truck, and put it in 4lo thinking that this would give me enough traction(assistance from the front wheels) to prevent the sliding.
I only made it about half way up the slope before the rear tires spun, and the back of the truck slid sideways again. I thought "maybe the case didn't fully engage or something", so I pulled forward, re positioned, and tried it again. Same thing happened, rear tires spun, and no front wheel engagement.
The only way I could get the front wheels to engage, was to stay on the throttle after the rear wheels slipped.

It was after this incident that I really dug into the operation of the 44-44 case, and discovered that it uses a ball ramp and electromagnetic clutch to engage the front drive shaft in all 4x4 modes. I thought perhaps the clutch was worn, or that there was something else wrong with my transfer case. The truck was still under warranty, so I took it to the dealership to be looked at. The service tech at the dealership informed me that "There is nothing wrong, your T-case is functioning as designed."

It doesn't seem to matter which 4x4 mode is selected, I always get about 180 degrees of rear wheel rotation before the front wheels engage, and the dealership service department insists that this is "normal operation".

In doing more research, I discovered that due to different manufacturing tolerances in the clutch packs, some of the 44-44 cases have almost no rear slip, and others require even more than mine, to engage the front shaft.

Had I known that this is how the 44-44 is designed to operate, I would have opted for a lower trim level truck with a true part time case (44-45).

I could do like you have done, and get one of Brandon's switches, but that wouldn't change that I and many other buyers were mislead about how the 44-44 is "designed to operate".

John Jensen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
Muddy,

Great explanation and appreciated.

Last night I reviewed 44-44 posts on two forums back to 2014. I also reviewed the manufacturer's review of the 44-44. What I found was a lot of disagreement on how it operates, a lot of misunderstandings of how a transfer case is supposed to work and a lot of complaints similar to yours.

When you said, "the operation of the 44-44 case, and discovered that it uses a ball ramp and electromagnetic clutch to engage the front drive shaft in all 4x4 modes." you confirm what was also said in the posts I reviewed. And, it seems the clutch pack tolerances do vary which is why some say they have no problem while it is a pronounced problem for others.

I too experienced, like you, when backing my 30' travel trailer over a radius curb into my side yard in 4WD Low, a "skipping or spinning" of the rear wheels as the fronts were locking and unlocking.

The error in my understanding was I was told, and it was also stated in the reviews I made last night, that the clutch only operated the 4WD Auto. That 4WD Lock and Low were mechanical. Turns out that is not true.

Bottom line is I am now more learned and owe you and others an apology for any offending comments. By "learned" I mean how the 44-44 operates and why you feel as you do.

Last edited:

muddy12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
it's all good :waytogo:

Just to add another little tidbit that I found interesting.
When 4lock is selected, the electromagnetic clutch is technically "on", but is not receiving full voltage. The factory programming "steps up" the clutch voltage based on throttle position. I can only assume that this was done to give it a soft engagement, and lessen the chance of shock loading the drive train.

This is why adding one of Brandon's switches makes such a difference. It gives the clutch full voltage, and eliminates the "soft engagement"

Tim Garceau

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport Quad BSP
Engine
3.92 8 Speed 5.7 4X4
I wonder if a custom tuner has the ability to play around with minimum input voltages on the unlocked TCM software.

Almost like a pedal commander for the clutch on the T-Case.

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I wonder if a custom tuner has the ability to play around with minimum input voltages on the unlocked TCM software.

Almost like a pedal commander for the clutch on the T-Case.

There are data points called Actual and Desired "T-Case clutch lock torque", but I dont know if that means a tuner can actually set them.

Also previously mentioned, manufacturing tolerances in clutches, etc can make a difference as to how well and/or quickly the t-case locks into 4WD. You could technically tear it down and make sure all tolerances are as tight as possible (pretty sure there are a few how-tos on the internet for other BW models that are very similar to our 44-44).

Brandon-w

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 1500
Engine
Holy cow howd I miss this thread?!? Lol

Brandon-w

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 1500
Engine
We will have to disagree. The 44-44 should not have been produced. It is not acceptable for anyone who actually needs and wants 4WD. It was deceitful to sell it as such. The half ton is plenty of truck for most people but those that drive on ice and snow don’t need a 2500 but do need both axles doing the work. I don’t think anyone would knowingly want the 44-44 over the 44-45 and if they did I would say go read about them and then tell me your thoughts. I love Ram but the 44-44 missed the mark and Borg Warner and FCA should take some heat for a dumb decision.
The 44-44 is definately not junk. It's very misunderstood. I've had many apart and most failures are due to ****** dodge programming to locking and unlocking the clutches. Ford used the 44-44 for years without issues. It's dodges fault for unreliability. Trust me I know I built the switch to fix this issue.