*RESOLVED* Modification of the 4WD switch to add "4WD AUTO" mode???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JoeCo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Because FCA forces the 44-44 on any trim level other than express or outdoorsman (and maybe rebel)

So, big horn, limited, etc get it, for those of us that wanted a better equipped truck, the choice was 44-44 or another brand truck

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

That's why I keep ending up with them, I've had two sports and a longhorn so always ended up with the 44-44. The way I looked at it, I drive the truck pretty much everyday, the weather isn't bad here everyday, no matter how brutal a winter can get. So I gave up the better transfer case for more daily enjoyment. My off road days are long gone so my primary use for four wheel drive would be in the snow. Although I've always been more into just power sliding around in 2wd and if I needed 4wd then I could always use it then, and that works fine for me as long as I have good all terrains. The few times I have needed 4wd in the snow (4hi, I don't think I've ever used 4 auto) it has done ok in that it has gotten me where I needed to go, but compared to some of the trucks I've had in the past, it's not very impressive and can be aggravating. I will also be investing in Brandon's switch, not really for need obviously but for the price I want to give it a shot and maybe actually use the 4wd a little more.

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Same here. I was initially worried about the 44-44 but during actual snow driving Ive never been stuck. Maybe a function of the truck being heavier than Im used to, maybe a function of the xfer case actually working, I dont know. IF I ever get stuck, then Ill complain.

The *only* issue I have with the 44-44 is that performance during reverse leaves something to be desired. It takes just slightly longer to engage the ball ramp in reverse, so when backing into my yard (to dump a load of mulch, dirt, etc) I get slippage when hopping my curb. Which leads to burnt grass while the wheels slip just a little bit. Brandons switch would resolve that and would probably be the only time I ever use "full send" mode. Cheaper and a whole lot easier (and undo-able) than replacing the whole xfer case.

On paper I do agree...give me chains and gears any day, but so far in practice I have not really been disappointed in the 44-44.

John Jensen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
The *only* issue I have with the 44-44 is that performance during reverse leaves something to be desired. It takes just slightly longer to engage the ball ramp in reverse, so when backing into my yard (to dump a load of mulch, dirt, etc) I get slippage when hopping my curb. Which leads to burnt grass while the wheels slip just a little bit. Brandons switch would resolve that and would probably be the only time I ever use "full send" mode. Cheaper and a whole lot easier (and undo-able) than replacing the whole xfer case.

Same here. I back my 30' travel trailer over a high corner radius curb to park the trailer in my side yard.
The Ram would leave short skid marks as the clutch disengaged and engaged. With Brandon's switch it's now the same as backing in with my Ford F350 4WD, 6.0 diesel and no skid marks.

JoeCo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Same here. I was initially worried about the 44-44 but during actual snow driving Ive never been stuck. Maybe a function of the truck being heavier than Im used to, maybe a function of the xfer case actually working, I dont know. IF I ever get stuck, then Ill complain.

On paper I do agree...give me chains and gears any day, but so far in practice I have not really been disappointed in the 44-44.

That actually reminded me of another incident I had with the 44-44. Was delivering some new recliners to my parents house and wanted to back the truck right up to their front doors (they are about tailgate level and the truck can back up right over the steps) for easy unloading. To do this I needed to back over a curb (completely going into it straight, rear wheels hitting curb at the same time), and the damn thing couldn't do it. 2wd, 4wd hi, thing couldn't get over the curb, finally went 4 low and with that and some romping it finally got over the curb. Same situation as you, trying not to rip up their grass, but I felt like I would have had to have hit the curb with momentum to get the truck up any other way, which with this type of curb, would not be wise.

If that wasn't bad enough, I go to move the truck in the driveway after it's unloaded. Fire it up, go to put it in 2wd, it won't go into anything, just stay in 4low. So I move it over to the driveway like that, and try again and then it went into neutral (although not indicated), and wouldn't move at all. Also when I went to shut it off, the keys wouldn't come out of the ignition. Eventually after messing with it and trying to make the transfer case engage something, it finally popped aggressively back into 2wd and made the truck lunge forward. That was on my 2013 sport, had it for maybe a year or so after that happened and never had an issue again with it but that was quite the experience!

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
IIRC when leaving 4-low you are supposed to do it at a low low low speed, like 1 or 2 mph. I believe my truck did the same thing....complete neutral...for a little bit, then eventually 2WD engaged.

Funny how we all only have that one issue with the xfer case :) as I figured, Brandons mod fixes it and Im pretty sure I would never have another issue with the xfer case ever again.

RLJ10X

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Putting your truck in low lock disables the traction control. I think you could pull a fuse, also.

I've not pulled the fuse, but the limited time I've had Brandon's switch on, the truck was in Low Lock and had no problems.

If you can't tell, I'm pretty sold on Brandon's Switch. Honestly there are really few times when you really need it. But when you need it, you need it. It's there.

If the feces gets deep, I'd be in my 2 door Wrangler anyways.

muddy12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I thought the 44-44 only clutch operated the front differential. Some of the posters say or imply that both the front and rear differentials are clutch operated.

Here are two videos where Brandon is demonstrating the clutch slipping the front wheels and his lockout switch effect. Notice that the rear wheels are not "skipping" which tells me the rear differential is not clutch operated. What say you? Anyone?

The only thing effected by the clutch in the 44-44, is the power output to the front drive shaft.

The differentials (in the axles) are not effected in any way by the clutch in the transfer case.

Rear differential, from the factory, will either be open, or limited slip. Some limited slip difs use clutches, but they are engaged by a difference in wheel speed across the axle(ie wheel spin).

Factory front difs are typically only open (there are exceptions like the power wagon and rubicon, which are selectable).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JoeCo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
IIRC when leaving 4-low you are supposed to do it at a low low low speed, like 1 or 2 mph. I believe my truck did the same thing....complete neutral...for a little bit, then eventually 2WD engaged.

Funny how we all only have that one issue with the xfer case :) as I figured, Brandons mod fixes it and Im pretty sure I would never have another issue with the xfer case ever again.

Yeah I thought it was low speed or stopped (which I was), and I remember some of the older trucks having to go in reverse 10 feet or so to truly get it to disengage. Just seemed odd for such a new truck.

gofishn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 5th Gen, Big Horn, 4X4, Crew Cab, 6'4" Box
Engine
hemi 5.7L, 345 cu in
Because FCA forces the 44-44 on any trim level other than express or outdoorsman (and maybe rebel)

So, big horn, limited, etc get it, for those of us that wanted a better equipped truck, the choice was 44-44 or another brand truck

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

I could not agree more. Better Equipped Truck is exactly why I bought my Express.

I had an 1999 2500 SLT , since I was dropping down to a 1500, I was more concerned with the Drive train, than any other aspect.
While the interior Goodies, of the higher trim levels, are nice, drive train was far more important.
The only thing I truly cared about, inside, was a front bench seat, Solid Rear Window, Power Windows & Locks, A/C, Tilt & Cruise.

Aaron2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500 Classic
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Yes, Corrected.

The 4 auto is usually reserved for luxury trims which I do not consider the Warlock. So you may be right with that statement of the classic Gen no longer carrying that option.

I'm not sure this is true. I have a 2019 1500 Classic Bighorn and I've got the four-button switch with 4WD Auto.

Butkis

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2018
Engine
If you want an AWD why don't you buy a Subaru? And, if you think half-tons are not work horses, then you haven't been, or do not know how to use your truck. Perhaps you pull a camper, or drive through snow. WOW, that's rough. I'll tell you what, I guarantee that I have pulled more cattle weight, more bale weight , more tripple axle weight, through more mud, crap, sand, clay, on water soaked farm land with my 2012 and 2018(by the way, my 2012 is a Laramie with; that's right, the supposed poor 44-44 trany) further through harsher conditions than what you boys are arguing about. You really need a $50,000 truck to play in the snow? I know people that could do the same with a rear locker only. Ram is a work horse. If all you want to do is complain about your purchase, then go buy you one of those cheesy GMCs with the $4000 Rubbermaid tailgates and a take a long luxurious ride to yuppy town, but for goodness sake, talk about something useful and treat others the way you would like to be treated. The guy simply wanted some direction with his 4x4 question, not someone to tear him down or treat him like an idiot. I suppose you enjoy treated other folks poorly, and you should be ashamed. I do not care who you think you are, what you think you know, or what you think you have done. We are all learners, and if we truly have a brotherly attitude, then we would be willing to share what we know. Is it costing you anything? You should apologize for your ignorance x 2. Now if you want to really have a good discussion about historically crappy automotive decisions then lets talk about GMs Target engine.

McBroom

U.S.Marine Veteran Retired 88-2000
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
If you want an AWD why don't you buy a Subaru? And, if you think half-tons are not work horses, then you haven't been, or do not know how to use your truck. Perhaps you pull a camper, or drive through snow. WOW, that's rough. I'll tell you what, I guarantee that I have pulled more cattle weight, more bale weight , more tripple axle weight, through more mud, crap, sand, clay, on water soaked farm land with my 2012 and 2018(by the way, my 2012 is a Laramie with; that's right, the supposed poor 44-44 trany) further through harsher conditions than what you boys are arguing about. You really need a $50,000 truck to play in the snow? I know people that could do the same with a rear locker only. Ram is a work horse. If all you want to do is complain about your purchase, then go buy you one of those cheesy GMCs with the $4000 Rubbermaid tailgates and a take a long luxurious ride to yuppy town, but for goodness sake, talk about something useful and treat others the way you would like to be treated. The guy simply wanted some direction with his 4x4 question, not someone to tear him down or treat him like an idiot. I suppose you enjoy treated other folks poorly, and you should be ashamed. I do not care who you think you are, what you think you know, or what you think you have done. We are all learners, and if we truly have a brotherly attitude, then we would be willing to share what we know. Is it costing you anything? You should apologize for your ignorance x 2. Now if you want to really have a good discussion about historically crappy automotive decisions then lets talk about GMs Target engine.

No truer words than what’s said here in your post.
Let’s stop the fighting and start the helping of our fellow Ram owners.

The Blue Mule

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins

I didn’t see anyone tearing anyone down but hey if you like the 44-44 I respect that. I don’t really know that you understand what the issue people have with it in South Carolina though. Driving on ice and snow is what kills the auto especially if you encounter situations that it is slip then grip. I killed my auto NVG doing that too. If you were talking to me non of my anti-44-44 is directed to be mean to anyone it is simply frustrating and if anything I am mad at FCA for making it a requirement in an otherwise great truck. I think you are being overly sensitive. The forum is a good one so welcome.

Last edited:

ScLeCo

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Supercharged 426
WTF are you talking about?
First, no one was tearing anyone down except maybe the engineers at Fiat.
Second, What you do with your truck and the experience you have with it is uniquely yours and may not reflect that of other owners.
Third, these other owners have a right to express their own experiences, thoughts, and opinions of their trucks without some self righteous douche nozzle coming on and chastising them for speaking.
Jesus H. dude get off your high f'ing horse.

tomb

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 bighorn-cherry red
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I'm not sure this is true. I have a 2019 1500 Classic Bighorn and I've got the four-button switch with 4WD Auto.
My 2012 Bighorn has the 4wd auto and I find it to be great in the winter. Thats all I use in the winter-theres a very steep incline on the way to work and if I hit some ice,the front end kicks in immediately. Same with a patch of black ice. Its never failed me--frankly I have hesitated to use the 4wd lock because others on this forum have said that there can be binding if you turn too tight. 4wd Auto is one of the reasons that I stepped up to the Bighorn from a lower trim. AS for your 44#s- I dont know what you guys are even talking about-atleast I can admit that--Love my RAM and the 4wdAuto.

John Jensen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
tomb,

Don't be afraid to use your 4WD Lock. Your transfer case is clutch operated to the front diferential. It should not bind on tight turns. I have the same and have not had any binding problems. That only happens in 4WD Low When you have ESC & TCS Full Off

DeckArtist

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Been meaning to start a thread and ask about that. So can you tell me what four-wheel-drive lock means? Is it the same as four high?

John Jensen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ecodiesel
From the Owners Manual:

4WD AUTO Four-Wheel Drive Auto High Range — This range sends power to the front wheels. The four–wheel drive system will be automatically engaged when the vehicle senses a loss of traction. Additional traction for varying road conditions.

4WD LOCK Four-Wheel Drive Lock High Range — This range maximizes torque to the front driveshaft, forcing the front and rear wheels to rotate at the same speed. Additional traction for loose, slippery road surfaces only.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Been meaning to start a thread and ask about that. So can you tell me what four-wheel-drive lock means? Is it the same as four high?

Well, it should be but it’s not. From what I was told, the only difference really other than whatever the ESP/TC does in 4-Lo is that while in auto, the transfer case only engages when the system senses rear-wheel slippage. In 4-lock and 4-lo, the front wheels will only engage when the rear slips but the front wheels will continue receiving power until you let off the throttle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro