*RESOLVED* Modification of the 4WD switch to add "4WD AUTO" mode???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Brandon-w

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 1500
Engine
So the switch removes the TCS/Stab which any tuner can do...

The engineers have done more testing than any combined people on this site, this just digs you into the ground to be stuck quicker. Could start by getting real all terrain tires and it’s a moot point aha.
The switch leaves tcs and all other things like that alone. Ur front diff is an open diff with a front axle disconnect, when 4 auto or lock is selected it locks the front disconnect so the passenger axle will have torque supplied to it. My switch simply locks the clutches in the t case which are normally unlocked when the rear wheels have traction. When in 4 Lock ur not technically even in 4x4 until the rear tires spin. When they spin there is signal sent to the clutches and it locks it up. Soon as tires stop spinning power to the t case is cut until they spin again causing clutch wear and transfercase overheat issues. It's poor programming on the fca side of things. If you disable the TCS you can go further yet!

TomB 1269

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I do not have the "Auto" mode, and after reading this I am glad I do not. I expect a 4x4 truck to have a "locked" mode, i.e. front and rear drive shafts turn together at the same speed. If I had wanted a "all wheel drive" which is essentially what you guys are saying the 44-44 is then I'd have bought an SUV........Thanks I now know to never buy a truck with 4 wheel auto.......

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I do not have the "Auto" mode, and after reading this I am glad I do not. I expect a 4x4 truck to have a "locked" mode, i.e. front and rear drive shafts turn together at the same speed. If I had wanted a "all wheel drive" which is essentially what you guys are saying the 44-44 is then I'd have bought an SUV........Thanks I now know to never buy a truck with 4 wheel auto.......

Its not the fact there is an Auto mode that is the problem, its FCAs poor software implementation that is the culprit. Pretty sure the transfer case itself is pretty stout, but clutches are clutches and if software constantly engages and disengages them, of course they will break prematurely.

A third party makes heavier duty clutch material for it, I would imagine those + Brandon's switch will yield really good results.

Brandon-w

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 1500
Engine
Ok so if I am in 4wd lock and the rear tires aren't slipping I am only powered by the rear wheels? to me that makes zero sense. And all my other four-wheel-drive’s when I selected four high or low all four tires were turning under power, so if I’m reading this correctly this is not the case with my current four-wheel-drive truck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If the rear tires ain't spinning the front tires don't have power. I've had the multi meter hooked to the power wire and there is no power going to it until they slip. I've done tons of testing with this stuff while building the switch.

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
The 44-44 is definately not junk. It's very misunderstood. I've had many apart and most failures are due to ****** dodge programming to locking and unlocking the clutches. Ford used the 44-44 for years without issues. It's dodges fault for unreliability. Trust me I know I built the switch to fix this issue.

Compare this to a transfer case that works by locking and I think it is easy to tell it is not a good deal. I will also argue clutch based limited slip are junk. They might work for a while but not the way most people would choose this style over mechanical if they knew on the front end these units are being put in. This design is flawed.

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
The switch leaves tcs and all other things like that alone. Ur front diff is an open diff with a front axle disconnect, when 4 auto or lock is selected it locks the front disconnect so the passenger axle will have torque supplied to it. My switch simply locks the clutches in the t case which are normally unlocked when the rear wheels have traction. When in 4 Lock ur not technically even in 4x4 until the rear tires spin. When they spin there is signal sent to the clutches and it locks it up. Soon as tires stop spinning power to the t case is cut until they spin again causing clutch wear and transfercase overheat issues. It's poor programming on the fca side of things. If you disable the TCS you can go further yet!

Great job on inventing that!

Brandon-w

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 1500
Engine
Compare this to a transfer case that works by locking and I think it is easy to tell it is not a good deal. I will also argue clutch based limited slip are junk. They might work for a while but not the way most people would choose this style over mechanical if they knew on the front end these units are being put in. This design is flawed.
Not to Sound like an ass but that's like comparing a one ton to a half ton. Each unit serves its purpose and though its not what everyone expects it doesn't make it junk, it just makes it unsuitable for that task. As I said previously Ford used the same t case without one single complaint, wana know the best part? No one knew it had clutches in it lol. This is why I made a simple solution and the fasle advertising sucks yes. But at the end of the day it comes down to buyer beware, if you know ur going to be using the 4x4 lots get a power wagon. Makes life easier. Nothing beats old school it's not even up for argument.

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Not to Sound like an ass but that's like comparing a one ton to a half ton. Each unit serves its purpose and though its not what everyone expects it doesn't make it junk, it just makes it unsuitable for that task. As I said previously Ford used the same t case without one single complaint, wana know the best part? No one knew it had clutches in it lol. This is why I made a simple solution and the fasle advertising sucks yes. But at the end of the day it comes down to buyer beware, if you know ur going to be using the 4x4 lots get a power wagon. Makes life easier. Nothing beats old school it's not even up for argument.

I would love to see a video of one with your mod. Do you know if anyone has one or do you?

Never liked Ford but I own one. I suspect most people that find this out about the 44-44 feel the same [emoji1787]

The false advertising is probably what upsets me most about it. If it worked right I suspect no one would care until it breaks. If it breaks before the mechanical style consistently then people won’t like it just liked the LSD example I gave. That is just the way it is.

I will mention again I don’t own this unit but I wonder if the guts are similar to an NVG246 that I had? I know mine locked until it broke. Do you have any insights on that?

ScLeCo

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Supercharged 426
I just want the ******* buttons to tell me the truth. If it says 4x4 LOCK. Then it better be f'ing LOCKED.
With the 44-44 this is not the case.
The fact that this isn't explicitly explained by Fiat is complete and utter ********.
Period, the end.

DeckArtist

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So what happens in 4-LO? And Brandon...so you have a switch available that changes the way the transfer case operates in 4 lock?

Tim Garceau

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport Quad BSP
Engine
3.92 8 Speed 5.7 4X4
I enjoy spirited winter driving in 4Auto, this case is fantastic for that. Wet, dry, snow, slush, and mud trail all on the same commute in 1 touch of a button.

Tear up those splines turning into a dry corner transition with locked shafts, or have quick fingers/slow down it’s fine and dandy either way!:favorites13:

Stoplight race to the highway merge, you leaving it in 2wd even with a LSD?

Last edited:

Brandon-w

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 1500
Engine
So what happens in 4-LO? And Brandon...so you have a switch available that changes the way the transfer case operates in 4 lock?
Yes I do. It completely locks the t case when turned on but still retains all factory functionality so you basically have a 44-45 when locked but have the option of 4 auto and stuff without the expensive cost of doing the swap or buying another truck.

Brandon-w

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 1500
Engine
I would love to see a video of one with your mod. Do you know if anyone has one or do you?

Never liked Ford but I own one. I suspect most people that find this out about the 44-44 feel the same [emoji1787]

The false advertising is probably what upsets me most about it. If it worked right I suspect no one would care until it breaks. If it breaks before the mechanical style consistently then people won’t like it just liked the LSD example I gave. That is just the way it is.

I will mention again I don’t own this unit but I wonder if the guts are similar to an NVG246 that I had? I know mine locked until it broke. Do you have any insights on that?
Post 39 I Beleive is my video of my truck with lock engaging and disengaging.

William Hastings

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yes I do. It completely locks the t case when turned on but still retains all factory functionality so you basically have a 44-45 when locked but have the option of 4 auto and stuff without the expensive cost of doing the swap or buying another truck.

Brandon, whats the price on the switch and how would i get one? Ive searched around and must have missed it. Also are there pics of the switch installed anywhere? Reading this post makes me want this to prevent burning clutches down the road just incase. I haven't had any issues in the one winter ive had the truck, probably dont need it, but def interested.
Thanks

muddy12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Brandon,
I dug around and found one of your old ebay listings for your switch. In the description you stated that it works for 13 and up.
Do you happen to know what is different between the 09-12, and 13+ ?
I have a 2012 truck. if it's just a harness plug difference, I can work with that, but if it's a T-case, or other difference, I might be out of luck.

Brandon-w

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 1500
Engine
Brandon,
I dug around and found one of your old ebay listings for your switch. In the description you stated that it works for 13 and up.
Do you happen to know what is different between the 09-12, and 13+ ?
I have a 2012 truck. if it's just a harness plug difference, I can work with that, but if it's a T-case, or other difference, I might be out of luck.
Hey this does work on the 2012, the power wires sometimes go to a different place but it does work the same. Does not work on 2011 though.
Thanks
Brandon.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey this does work on the 2012, the power wires sometimes go to a different place but it does work the same. Does not work on 2011 though.
Thanks
Brandon.

Where do you get this switch- and how intrusive is it? I’ve got lifetime warranty on my truck and so far, this doesn’t really sound like a mod I’d like to do tobir....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Brandon-w

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 1500
Engine
Where do you get this switch- and how intrusive is it? I’ve got lifetime warranty on my truck and so far, this doesn’t really sound like a mod I’d like to do tobir....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
here's how easy it is. I don't offer the stick on switch anymore though.