Restoring plastic trim pieces

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NOcasio7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Has anyone tried to paint the black plastic pieces? I bought mirror covers that do not cover the entire mirror and door handle covers that still show a bit of the plastic trim. I was thinking about painting the remaining pieces such as the windshield trim with some paint like POR 15 Top Coat but wanted to see what others had to say. I want something that is going to last and not fade or need to be reapplied.

TRAXX

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Bump. Any updates on how long these coatings last? Everything always looks good at first but then fades away. Also most of this stuff is a thick gel or already on an applicator (Ceracote). Im trying to figure out how to restore the step side plastics (at least those on 4th gens) which is like a tire tread with deep grooves.

charcoal1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The Cerakote kit has held up really well for me. I put it on the bedsides, cowl and front window trim right at the end of October beginning Of November. We haven't had a ton of rain but we have had some and I washed well over a dozen times since and It still looks really good. I will use again when it starts looking like time for treatment again.

redman4455

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
How do these do with scratches on side mirror plastic. Had a run in with some desert trail and pinstripes.

TRAXX

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Figured I would update my experience. I got the Cerakote, wiped it on about a month ago and it still looks great. By now other stuff I had tried was already fading. It was a PIA doing the factory steps with the honeycomb pattern but hey...with the Rona everything shut down, I had some extra time on my hands.:banghead:

JB1

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

MarshRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 SLT 4x4, 2012 ST
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Can get these at AutoZone for about 8 bucks a can. Have used it many times, renews and holds up well. The clear usually does it, but just get the black to be sure.
IMG_20190413_101945685.jpg