Roof clearence lights

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

darthdzl

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Tradesman RCSB
Engine
V6
Hopefully noone's feelings get hurt, but I don't think they look right on our little half tons.

Being that polite, I don't think anyone's will. I disagree though...I think they look awesome on any truck. :)

Lucky you your third brake light has not leaked. Well my third brake light leaked and a very high percentage of them do as you well know!!!

Oh? How high a percentage? Can you accurately judge from a few dozen out of a few thousand on a website slanted towards truck enthusiasts, when there are millions of trucks out there? It's an irritating problem, and any number higher than zero is too many, but we don't have enough evidence to say a high percentage leak.

Where in the owners manual does it say to take my third brake light off and my clearance lights and seal them with silicone??? I must have missed have missed that page.
The same place you likely heard about leaky third brake lights other than your own: here.

No need to be that strident about declaring clearance lights to be a bad idea because of leaks on something else. Almost sounds like you got angry just reading about someone asking about them.

cptwing

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 3500 ST DRW REG CAB
Engine
6.4l Hemi
Not angry, just a little short when I hear disclaimers about the third brake light leaking is all. As you say one is too many especially when it is your truck. That said I have taken my warranty replacement off to replace with cargo cam, and the gasket design sucks, frankly I am amazed the replacement did not leak. How high of a percentage, we will likely never know exactly, what we all do know is this nothing knew and has ben a problem for many years. It would be so easy to redesign this item and replace the open cell foam gasket with a neoprene closed cell one.

Maybe its perhaps I traded in my previous truck which also leaked and that was a key factor why I got rid of it. I then wind up with another leaker, crazy. As I stated previously the gasket design for the OEM clearance lights is for me a cause of concern. As Cuyler stated and many others believe in doing is gooking them up with RTV. Why not just design them better in the first place?

Last edited:

Rzrman328

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Never had a leak from the 3rd or the clearance lights.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Until I really started paying attention to this forum not to long ago...I had Nvr heard of the 3rd leaking....mine doesn't or hasn't surprisingly.

OP
OP
jknappen

jknappen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Bk0tGN6.jpg
kc8Fu9P.jpg
F1rcQxP.jpg

I did it because im over the legal width limit for not needing them. The raptor has them also because they are too wide also, just has it in the grill instead of the roof.

When you took your headliner down, were there marks on the underside of the roof that marks where the ligjts go to drill?

Drummin4jc

WWG1WGA!
Reaction score
Ram Year
2024 Ram 2500 CC
Engine
6.4 Hemi
When you took your headliner down, were there marks on the underside of the roof that marks where the ligjts go to drill?

No, there aren't. I did mine and had to measure on top of the roof.

Adam

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 77

CuylerTech

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn Mega Cab 4x4
Engine
6.7L

I used the OEM mopar kit which came with a drilling diagram that you tape to the roof.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Bk0tGN6.jpg
kc8Fu9P.jpg
F1rcQxP.jpg

I did it because im over the legal width limit for not needing them. The raptor has them also because they are too wide also, just has it in the grill instead of the roof.
Your wheels are pretty slick...

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

Black Out

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I have recons after market kit with smoked lenses with white leds on mine here's a night an day shot

Attachments

• truck2.jpg
    truck2.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 84
  • truck3.jpg
    truck3.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 78

danmp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I smile everytime someone say it doesn't fit on a 1500 because they are too small. For your information the 2500 are not bigger in any way than the 1500. They seems bigger but they are not. Look at the spec. They are only higher by 1-2inches.

I saw last summer an old volks jetta with them on the roof, that was funny :roflsquared:

avolnek

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 2500 CCLB
Engine
I smile everytime someone say it doesn't fit on a 1500 because they are too small. For your information the 2500 are not bigger in any way than the 1500. They seems bigger but they are not. Look at the spec. They are only higher by 1-2inches.

I saw last summer an old volks jetta with them on the roof, that was funny :roflsquared:

not bigger in any way?

i have to fold my mirrors to fit through a 9' wide door(it BARELY fits without folding), never had to in a half ton...

The truck i have is nearly 24' long, how long is yours?

Stock height sets my roof just under 7', lifted and on bigger tires your half ton still isn't there...

Don't compare them because there is NO comparison...

I do NOT like the look of clearance lights on a half ton as it looks like the owner is trying to make themselves look heavy duty... same thing as when kids put stacks on pickups or a ****load of clearance lights... looks like hell...

It is my opinion and just that so it really doesn't matter... but to compare a half ton and the heavy duty line up is just dumb...

me and your mother would never have enough room to play in the back seat of that half ton "club cab"...

Attachments

• 12138441_10153330420687561_5108073106927705548_o.jpg
    12138441_10153330420687561_5108073106927705548_o.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 66
  • 2015 cummins.jpg
    2015 cummins.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 72
  • F1rcQxP.jpg
    F1rcQxP.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 79

Drummin4jc

WWG1WGA!
Reaction score
Ram Year
2024 Ram 2500 CC
Engine
6.4 Hemi
8 or 10 months now and in the kingwood area

Ok, cool! I work in Morgantown but travel the area a lot and am always in Preston County. :)

not bigger in any way?

i have to fold my mirrors to fit through a 9' wide door(it BARELY fits without folding), never had to in a half ton...

Stock height sets my roof just under 7', lifted and on bigger tires your half ton still isn't there...

I do NOT like the look of clearance lights on a half ton as it looks like the owner is trying to make themselves look heavy duty... same thing as when kids put stacks on pickups or a ****load of clearance lights... looks like hell...

It is my opinion and just that so it really doesn't matter... but to compare a half ton and the heavy duty line up is just dumb...

me and your mother would never have enough room to play in the back seat of that half ton "club cab"...

I agree, there's really no way to compare a 2500 to a 1500 because the 2500s are larger and build tougher. But, I can tell you that I added clearance lights because I just like them. I'm not trying to make my truck look "tougher" with them, that's what the lift/wheels/tires are going to be for. But what killed me about your comment was the whole "me and your mother" comment.... Come on, man.... Seriously???

Adam

OP
OP
jknappen

jknappen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
not bigger in any way?

C'mon man, let's get off moms because I just got off of yours. Seriously though 2500s are bigger than 1500s

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
The last bit of this conversation has been disappointing.

In order to change the mood of the conversation, I've developed a how to:

1. Google "motherlover" (all one word)

2. Watch the video.

3. Picture those discussing mothers in this thread on that video.

4. For extra levity, figure out what those strange boxes with holes in them at the start of the video are for.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

AustinB

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
You can't talk **** about doing someones mom in the back, when you didn't even get the megacab.

IMO

Rzrman328

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Me next to a stock 2500....I'm on a 6" lift with 37's and was not much bigger....or Should i say taller than the 2500....

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 71

THETANK

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 R/T
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Lucky you your third brake light has not leaked. Well my third brake light leaked and a very high percentage of them do as you well know!!! And yours and many other third brake lights could be leaking but not enough to be obvious. Mine filled up the storage bin behind the drivers seat during a heavy rainstorm when the truck was 4 months old. If the leak is subtle a lot of folks won't notice, but it will eventually discolor the headliner and foster mold growth. Anyone who states this is not a design/manufacturing flaw in the Ram truck has not done much research on in it and or is just blind by brand loyalty. There is over a half a dozen threads on it between this and the other forum.

As for my clearance lights they are factory installed and there is no silicone on them, they are just screwed down to the roof with a thin rubber base / gasket.
Where in the owners manual does it say to take my third brake light off and my clearance lights and seal them with silicone??? I must have missed have missed that page.

Thankfully mine does not leave the garage on rainy days, heck if it even looks like rain mine hides inside:favorites13:

UGA RAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Back to clearance lights finally got mine installed yesterday

Attachments

• 20160130_091411.jpg
    20160130_091411.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 60
  • 20160130_091418.jpg
    20160130_091418.jpg