Help Support Ram Forum by donating:

Rough Country Shocks & Struts

Discussion in 'Engine & Performance' started by SergeantCombs, Oct 12, 2019 at 9:34 AM.

Are Rough Country Shocks & Struts more reliable over other brands?

1. Yes

1 vote(s)
    25.0%
  2. No

3 vote(s)
    75.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Sponsored By: Moe's Performance
  1. SergeantCombs

SergeantCombs Junior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    5.7 Hemi
    My 2013 Ram Ram 1500 struts have been getting real bad recently and I’m going to ahead and replace them and I’m going to replace the rear shocks as well. Has anyone had any experience with Rough Country’s shocks & struts? My truck has a leveling kit so I was looking at their leveling struts. If not, any other good brands. Their rear shocks also come in either N3 or V2 versions. I don’t need something really high performance like Fox. Just for daily driving. Thanks all.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2019 at 9:40 AM
  2. michael harpe

michael harpe U.S. Army 2001-2014 Military

Ram Year:
    2018 Power Wagon
    Engine:
    6.4 hemi
    I've got them as they came with the lift kit for my power wagon. So far so good. Been on the truck for 3000 miles.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

3. kurek

kurek Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Hemi 5.7
    I'm certain they're good quality, don't need my permission to pull the trigger.

Bilstein hasn't let me down yet so they're my go-to easy choice but Rough Country's probably about as good, especially for folks like you and I who don't need a race spec product.

michael harpe likes this.
  4. RLJ10X

RLJ10X Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    5.7 Hemi
    Did you raise the front end, and retain the stock shock?

That's what I did. Turned out to be short lived. The stock shock is out of it "range" when you simply put a puck under the front spring. My shock started leaking.

If all you're going to do is raise the front end to level a stock truck, most guys go with Bilstein 5100s.

4 or 5 years ago, when I paid attention to such things, the Wrangler guys considered Rough Country stuff to be a little cheap, not the best quality. But I don't have any first hand knowledge, as I have never owned anything RC.

huntergreen likes this.
  5. michael harpe

michael harpe U.S. Army 2001-2014 Military

Ram Year:
    2018 Power Wagon
    Engine:
    6.4 hemi
    So far it hasn't broken. Yet. Of course all I do is highway driving and one GA dirt road. If something does break I'll look for something better. But so far no issues. I know in the past they had some under developed stuff, but they redesigned. This kit is specific for the power wagon. Came with new radius arms, front coils, shocks, and spacers for the rear springs, and drop brackets for rear track bar and front sway bar.

When I have money again I'm going to get longer end links for sway bar, replace both track bars and drag link as well. If I ever need a ball joint I'll go with the carli lifetime ones. Not sure who I want for track bars and drag link. I know thuren and carli will work as well as anyone else.

Honestly I cant wait to beat on it to see what holds up. I just need to make sure the credit card is paid off for when it breaks lol

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

6. SergeantCombs

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    5.7 Hemi
    Thanks everyone. Yes, @RLJ10X, I had a leveling kit to raise the front with the stock struts about 5 years ago but I wouldn’t be surprised if they caused the struts to wear out faster. The strut probably isn’t rated to support a level. I’d like to keep the level I have by getting a raised strut because of my after market rim/tire setup. Plus, I like the look better.

7. RLJ10X

RLJ10X Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    5.7 Hemi
    Let’s see a pic, Sarge!

michael harpe likes this.
  8. SCr1pT

SCr1pT Junior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    5.7 Hemi
    following this thread. i need some new shocks too

huntergreen likes this.
  9. SergeantCombs

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    5.7 Hemi
  10. Texram155

Texram155 Junior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    I run the V3 fronts and rears on mine. I ordered their 4x2 leveling kit w/springs and so far I have 14k on them with no issues. There are better shocks/struts out there don't get me wrong, but for the cost and ride quality I like them.