Royal Purple 20-820 no longer made?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

atxmike53

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So what is the difference in the 10-48 which is what the RP site shows for my 2019 5.7 and the 20-820 that most of you seem to be using?

Burn2k12Ram

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks to research done by @Burla "the diameter of 20-500 is 2.97 and the diameter of 10-48 is 2.98, lol? 20-820 diameter 3.65"

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
So what is the difference in the 10-48 which is what the RP site shows for my 2019 5.7 and the 20-820 that most of you seem to be using?
Amsoil has a clone of that filter that due to psi issues they literally don't recommend for the hemi. There has never been this issue with larger filters. FCA had the larger filter spec'd for years, then out of the blue went small, some say it was a clearance issue. How much testing went into that decision, yeah we all know, none. Just winging it =fca. The larger filters have always still fit, but it is a choice, small or large.

Pttrader

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I am a loyal user of Royal Purple products. Some of the replies might be considered irrelevant, but may have some truth such as the company being bought out. Used to be Champs lab manufactured the filters. Yes, Calumet bought them back in 2012. What is more interesting is that First Brands acquired Champ labs recently in 2020.

Anyway, the last couple of years it has been a challenge to find some of our usual products on the shelf. Even though the filters are manufactured in the USA some of the materials may be outsourced from overseas and with the 500,000 containers waiting to be offloaded there may be a container sitting some where waiting to be delivered. It could be something First brand did to the filter plants too. Maybe someone on this forum lives near one of the filter plants and can fill us in?
Hopefully they will be available soon!

MartyZ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2500 5.7l Hemi
Here is what I was able to dig up.

1: RP 20-820 is still being made, you can order it from RoyalPurpleDirect.com, I ordered 2 for cheaper than Amazons listed price.

2: Amazon shows "Out of stock" due to the massive amount of them being returned to Amazon for damaged packing (Like every Amazon package).
Apparently Royal Purple was sick of the Returns and stopped using Amazon as a supplier.

3: Buying it in person at an Auto Parts store is probably going to be challenging (At least it was for me in SouthEast Michigan)
I'm not sure why Royal Purple isn't stocked on shelves like Wix and STP, It should be if you ask the People! We Ram owners want our proper filter and we want it now!
:favorites37:

OP
OP
AE5548

AE5548

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Here is what I was able to dig up.

1: RP 20-820 is still being made, you can order it from RoyalPurpleDirect.com, I ordered 2 for cheaper than Amazons listed price.

2: Amazon shows "Out of stock" due to the massive amount of them being returned to Amazon for damaged packing (Like every Amazon package).
Apparently Royal Purple was sick of the Returns and stopped using Amazon as a supplier.

3: Buying it in person at an Auto Parts store is probably going to be challenging (At least it was for me in SouthEast Michigan)
I'm not sure why Royal Purple isn't stocked on shelves like Wix and STP, It should be if you ask the People! We Ram owners want our proper filter and we want it now!
:favorites37:
Back to the original start of the thread…. Royal Purple Direct has none in stock. Apparently nobody does. And nobody can explain why.

Lyle Longboat

2011 Ram 1500 5.7 Sport CC
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
+1 (210) 863-6644 is the manager to the “Royal purple direct” place in Texas that sells these filters online. He is above all Royal purple filters/oils and looks after their products. I finally got a hold of him after 3 weeks of fishing around to get a hold of a superior in the Royal purple field as I bought a 6 pack from the RPD in Texas and charged however the products did not ship. Also, my credit card had been stolen and purchases made online from that area. Anyways I was shocked when he called and talked about the company and politely asked me about how I found their products, where I resided (saw I was in Ontario Canada) and shot the breeze about the weather and my vehicles. He told me to contact him personally if I ever had any issues with their products and provided me with his personal office contact number. I forget his name though. I should have wrote it down. I saved his number on my cell as “RP Manager” lol.

Rayzaa

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
ram forum has big mouths, the word is out on that filter, all the hemi forums running that filter, lol.

amsoil ea has a clone filter, identical.
I never even heard of Royal Purple or Amsoil til I joined a Challenger forum a couple years ago. Didn't know what a 20-820 was lol.
Googled it and Summit Racing has them..

I just use good Ol Mopar, Wix or Purolator filters.

wfodave

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Amsoil has a clone of that filter that due to psi issues they literally don't recommend for the hemi. There has never been this issue with larger filters. FCA had the larger filter spec'd for years, then out of the blue went small, some say it was a clearance issue. How much testing went into that decision, yeah we all know, none. Just winging it =fca. The larger filters have always still fit, but it is a choice, small or large.
Speaking of winging it, I was having lunch with a retired Ford engineer and he told me a similar story. I already forgot which engine, but they had already finished their longevity testing for this particular motor using 5w-30, and everything was great. Well after that but before launch, the marketing team said they had done some testing and 5w-20 was worth 1mpg more and they needed it marketing reasons. Engineers said no, we don't have time to do the engine longevity testing over again. Marketing said we don't care, that's what's going in the manual, and the higher mpg is going on the Monroney sticker. And they were right, the people at the top said Marketing wins.

AJNY

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Been trying to find a definitive answer on this but nobody at Royal Purple returns phone calls. The 20-820 that fits our trucks seems to be sold out everywhere. Summit, Walmart, Amazon and every other source i can find online. It can't be some "Supply chain issue" nonsense since virtually all their other filters are readily available. Even ebay has none. Anyone know what the deal is?

AJNY

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Been trying to find a definitive answer on this but nobody at Royal Purple returns phone calls. The 20-820 that fits our trucks seems to be sold out everywhere. Summit, Walmart, Amazon and every other source i can find online. It can't be some "Supply chain issue" nonsense since virtually all their other filters are readily available. Even ebay has none. Anyone know what the deal is?

JHoward

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Liter
Some folks have tried fitting an Royal Purple 20-500 on their 5.7 HEMI and say it doesn't fit. I don't know, but I would think the length the that filter may be the issue not the diameter?

I recently ordered an AMSOIL aeo11 from AMSOIL and will use that on my up coming oil change because it is the "clone" of the Royal Purple 20-820?

I'll find out if it is and give it a try ...

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Yep, saw that too. It's very strange how Ram has different oil filter adapters for different trucks since the Hemi block is the same for all.

The 20-500 is same diameter as stock but longer. The 20-820 is wider and longer than stock. Eo11 is supposed to be a 20-820, both are made by Champion Labs.

You can use Fram Ultra Synthetic too. XG2 is their 20-820, XG10575 is their midsize. I used an XG10575 this week. The 20-820 / XG2 is too wide to fit in my 2500 truck.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Some folks have tried fitting an Royal Purple 20-500 on their 5.7 HEMI and say it doesn't fit. I don't know, but I would think the length the that filter may be the issue not the diameter?

I recently ordered an AMSOIL aeo11 from AMSOIL and will use that on my up coming oil change because it is the "clone" of the Royal Purple 20-820?

I'll find out if it is and give it a try ...
clone minus two inlet holes, which is kinda beyond me why amsoil would do that. As long as it is flowing the same, it is possible it is just as good. But there was a lot of figuring that made those 20-820's so popular.