Royal Purple 20-820 no longer made?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dodge 1500 4X4

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Summit Racing has them they are out of stock, but they will take your order with a delivery date of 09/22 not bad, Love Summit Racing they're the best!!!

06 Dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
I haven't used a Fram oil filter in over 25 years lol ...

As I read all of the post about how good Fram filters are :doublepuke: , I and may other diesel owners will not use a Fram oil filter knowing how they treated diesel owners who had an engine flail all due do to their poorly made oil filters...

Govtman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
As I read all of the post about how good Fram filters are :doublepuke: , I and may other diesel owners will not use a Fram oil filter knowing how they treated diesel owners who had an engine flail all due do to their poorly made oil filters...
At one time Cummins specifically said not to use a Fram filters on the 5.9. The media would break down and clog oil ports to main bearing if I remember correctly.

Travis8352

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
i actually saw a while back that fram replaced a customers engine when a faulty fram filter ruined their engine. Good on them for that i say

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
But for a minute, think about the "why" and think about the interval with diesels. Paper filters simply cannot be trusted past 3k miles, the heat cycles stiffen like cardboard. It's not a Fram thing, they all stiffen, every paper filter I ever cut open the media went stiff. They should make a ED pill out of those binders, never fail to go stiff. Once it is stiffen, IT NO LONGER FILTERS, no oil goes through that media. The binders that once held it nicely when new is more like glue. Either the filter is in bypass or a hole blow threw it.

If the psi is high or not, it is a matter of time before pieces of that break off. You look at the interval with diesels, it doesnt surprise me. That wouldnt be a fram thing, but a paper media thing. Back in the day, not that long ago, paper filters were the only choice, now they aren't. I certainly have sympathy for the diesel owners back then, but the word is out, and if you have a long interval on paper filters and you loose your engine, that is on you at this point. If I was an auto manu, I'd spec spun micro glass only and provide them cheaply through the dealerships. If you want warranty work for an internal engine, if you used paper, go pound sand.

RodRamCar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Longhorn
Engine
5.7 4x4 w/ 3.92s
if the Amsoil one is a cloned product, screw it. Just buy that.

OP
OP
AE5548

AE5548

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Summit Racing has them they are out of stock, but they will take your order with a delivery date of 09/22 not bad, Love Summit Racing they're the best!!!
Yeah, lots of places will take orders for non-in stock items with a estimated ship date. But I stopped doing that along time ago because those estimated ship dates are almost never right.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Which Fram filter? They make 4-6 different kinds.

The original used to be called the orange can of death (OCOD), banned phrase @ Bob's. There was good reason for it. We here mostly only discuss the Fram Ultra Synthetic Filters, their top-of-the-line made in USA.

I'm not a Fram fan-boy, have no invested interest in them. Just stating facts that we know. People stating "Fram = bad" without any background aren't being helpful.

rosco11

Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 1500 4x4
Engine
The power of advertising. My wife used to do marketing for Slick 50. It was shell synthetic rebottled, price tripled, and sold as a solution to an advertising box of fear. Starting your car is a terrible thing to do.

Royal Purple is the same thing. Sales probably started slipping, reducing profit margins so they are looking for someone to buy the company before it dies completely. It is an advertising baby. Almost certainly a major brand, dyed and rebottled then sold at a significant markup.

The funny part is very few of you are going to own any one car more than 4 or 5 years, and those that do are not driving very much and put less than 5k miles a year on them. So even if what they claim is true and it is actually a better product, no one is going to see any benefit from the product. Just like Slick 50. An advertising baby. Like bottled water.

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
The power of advertising. My wife used to do marketing for Slick 50. It was shell synthetic rebottled, price tripled, and sold as a solution to an advertising box of fear. Starting your car is a terrible thing to do.

Royal Purple is the same thing. Sales probably started slipping, reducing profit margins so they are looking for someone to buy the company before it dies completely. It is an advertising baby. Almost certainly a major brand, dyed and rebottled then sold at a significant markup.

The funny part is very few of you are going to own any one car more than 4 or 5 years, and those that do are not driving very much and put less than 5k miles a year on them. So even if what they claim is true and it is actually a better product, no one is going to see any benefit from the product. Just like Slick 50. An advertising baby. Like bottled water.

You must be new here. Haven't read a thing, you just pop in and drop your opinion like we're all short changed.

wfodave

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
There must be one heck of a design difference in these trucks based on your options. I had a mountain of room for my large RP filter. Probably only because I became concerned and picked up the smaller synthetic Fram filter just in case! This was my truck's first oil change, so I wasn't sure what to expect. Kudos to the engineers for giving me a drain plug with no obstructions to the drain pan, and a tray to collect the oil from the filter removal and aim it down at my collection pan. All that and didn't even need to jack it up to get under it! Love this truck a little more every day. '22 HD 4WD 6.4 gas. Someone mentioned the steering type as a predictor of filter space, so I will add that I have the adaptive PS option in case that's the differentiator. Pics because a thread without them is useless!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220801-120137_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20220801-120137_Gallery.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 29
  • Screenshot_20220801-120111_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20220801-120111_Gallery.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 29

BlackSheepRebel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yeah, I called them Monday and again today. Waited on hold each time for almost 10 minutes and then finally left messages and never heard anything back. Really dropping the ball in customer service.
Huh I use these as well, and have some extras… But this thread is a great reason to look for another product.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi

Welcome to ram forum, take a second gander on the title, the 20-820 part, this is a thread about filters not oil or additives. If you would like to know about royal purple filters and why they are popular, see the oil filter thread, notably the test on page one and the test on page 93. There are plenty of oil and additive threads as well, just look around.

Burn2k12Ram

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Welcome to ram forum, take a second gander on the title, the 20-820 part, this is a thread about filters not oil or additives. If you would like to know about royal purple filters and why they are popular, see the oil filter thread, notably the test on page one and the test on page 93. There are plenty of oil and additive threads as well, just look around.
You know it’s funny before joining the Ram forum and before owning this Ram when I had heard the name Royal Purple I always associated it with high quality oil never knew that they had some high quality filters as well but of course does make sense that they would. So I think many when they just hear the name Royal Purple they are probably assuming their oil line. But obviously shows that many perhaps just read the tittle of a thread and do not even bother looking even at the OP original post.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI

Hemi Gen III engine has been in production for 20 years, with over a million produced, of which an estimated 5-10% have failed from lack of lubrication to the roller lifter and camshaft.

These discussions are all about preventing this, not trendy fan-boy opinions. If you choose not to learn from these, please troll elsewhere.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
There must be one heck of a design difference in these trucks based on your options. I had a mountain of room for my large RP filter. Probably only because I became concerned and picked up the smaller synthetic Fram filter just in case! This was my truck's first oil change, so I wasn't sure what to expect. Kudos to the engineers for giving me a drain plug with no obstructions to the drain pan, and a tray to collect the oil from the filter removal and aim it down at my collection pan. All that and didn't even need to jack it up to get under it! Love this truck a little more every day. '22 HD 4WD 6.4 gas. Someone mentioned the steering type as a predictor of filter space, so I will add that I have the adaptive PS option in case that's the differentiator. Pics because a thread without them is useless!

You have Gen V Ram HD, I have a Gen IV. Even within the Gen IV there are production differences with how the lower radiator hose is routed. The hose on mine routes right along the outer edge of the oil filter base. Another member's is located further away. I posted pics long ago, btw.

Who knows what the factory and/or designers are doing? Use what fits.

Elkman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
I care primarily about the fit and with my GM 2500 the OEM fit much better than the Fram air filter. Not much difference in the filter media used and it is hardly rocket science to design them.

I avoid Amsoil products, especially their markedly inferior diesel motor oil (even Wal-Mart's has a better additive mix). No reason to pay more to cover a company's marketing expenses.

I doubt many people realize that an air filter is least effective at filtering the particulates out of the air when it is brand new. "Loading" needs to take place before it can work best at filtering the air. That is by design as the filter needs to allow enough air flow for many hundreds of hours of engine operation.