RP oil

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

thumperpa

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 QCSB 2WD
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Why is it that after reading the oil brand thread does it seem like no one really uses the RP oil just the filter. I have had my best results from past to present using RP and redline. So I'm curious as to why no one really is using the RP oil is there something I missed in my readings as to why or why not to use RP as I'm going to be doing my change in about a week and I got a few filters coming but haven't got the oil yet cause I didn't finish reading up on what I needed to know with these trucks any info will be greatly appreciated

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Royal Purple has been dodgy with their use of Moly, and the use of fake dye's really puts off most oil guys, the purple is nothing more then a dye as opposed to being a true synthetic concoction. Their Moly level used to be second only to Redline/Motul, but then they removed it from there otc stuff. There also have been issues with their other products like gear oils, in fact some 4x4 sites don't even want you to use the term Royal purple there. It is group 3 oil and will be a good choice for an engine, but I personally would never use their other oil products. I do mean it is good for an engine, as I have some in my garage and will use it up. Tests out there show the poor quality in gear oil applications. Don't take my word, do your own research, to be honest this is old research of mine.

As far as their oil filter, best made as far as I'm concerned. I have been putting it off but I was going to compare the construction versus a filter that cost me 7 dollars more, Napa Premium. Not even close, RP is the way to go.

JasonK94Z

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
What's wrong with their gear oil? I have some waiting to go in my front and rear diffs.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
A better question would be why were you considering their gear oil as opposed to others? Here is a teaser look at how bad RP is in this test, change in visc and shear test. Shear, metal coming off metal under stress most likely because they are loosing visc which makes the oil thinner thus looses protection. Also, like I said I have heard guys from the 4x4 forums I know through the forum have to swap gears from failure after putting RP in. You may get away with a pavement queen, but you can't fake it for guys who get down.

Redline is the way to go, they don't fake anything or even promote themselves appropriately, they just make gear oil that will keep a low temp, stick to metal by polarity, stay clean and good film strength period. Esters may be optional for engine dynamics, but for gears and tranny's they should be considered a necessity IMO. There is only one USA company committed to esters the only true synthetic oil, and that would be Redline Oil. Other companies may use esters, but nobody like Redline uses them so much in every formula. Esters aren't made from the ground oil, they are made from mixing acid and alcohol, so there is no oil in that oil, only synthetic goodness.

To be fair and honest, here is a big study on gear oils and Redline doesn't come on top. The reason, Amsoil determines what the values are, so of course they will figure a way to "win". But it shows a lot of oils and how they perform in Gears, and I still suggest redline is the best but it would be a long conversation to why. Bottom line, they can't even test redline at high pressures because the test level ends while redline is still working. Many applications you can't even use even group 3 oil in, high pressures and loads require ester based formulas. PDF larger study gear oils.

BTW, in some other tests even that Amsoil has done. Redline tests off the charts in crucial areas of performance like pin and V block testing and Falex pressure tests. And they are the only oil to do so.

Last edited:

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I use RP in every engine I own (truck, motorcycle, lawnmowers). I think it's a great product.

When I put it in my cub cadet I was worried at first, I thought something was wrong. I soon realized it was running so quietly, the new noise I was hearing was the blades spinning.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Jason, looks like you found someone ^ you can sell that **** to and go get ya some Redline. Lol, nah just playing, I always have a level of performance I follow that may not even be necessary in your applications. But the knowledge is there for guys to read and determine an oil choice based on something other then hype. The thinner oils will often make something sound smooth, not necessarily hold up well under load. A good strategy imo is find an oil that will sound smooth with the use of esters and high moly, and still hold up under load better then any oil known on the planet. It does exist.

BYW, I used to think prolong was the bomb, until I researched it. My truck sounded so smooth, but I didn't realize I was adding chlorinated parrifins. Educate yourself, smooth doesn't always tell the story.

JasonK94Z

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks Burla. Dammit, now I need to get rid of all this gear oil.