Rust Bubble Appeared on my 2019

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hbleconey

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
I got my truck in december of 2019 and i just discovered a rust bubble on the top of the drivers side front windshield. any idea if this is covered by my warranty? i'm taking it in in two weeks to have it looked at. I live california which seems odd that this is happening

PoMansRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I have several stone chips along the roof line just above the W/S glass on my 2019 classic as well. One hit so hard it dented the metal and chipped the paint right down to bare metal. I've had to touch that area up twice now since a bit of rust peeked through. This is a bad spot and I know in my area, you won't find a shop that would want to fix it.

4xdad

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 powerwagon
Engine
Rock chips = fact of life in Alberta gravel roads 1/2 inch gravel used for traction sand dip s$&ts spinning their tires windshields lights painted stuff all suffer don’t even get me started on the salt

OP
OP
hbleconey

hbleconey

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
its definitely not a rock chip...its actually rust bubbling up the paint which shouldnt happen with a 2 year old truck, espeicaly in california

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
That lip above the .windshield catches every bit of that sand on the right side of the Yellow Line.
It works just like decomposed granite or sand blasting material.

You might use light sand paper to rough up that lip, from corner to corner above the windshield.
Then prime & paint it, let it dry & cover that area with 3M Clear Bra.

You might consider staying further back from the semi trucks that pick up that sand by the yellow line.
Street Sweepers can't clean that area up but once every couple of weeks & dirt trucks haul gravel all day every day

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have several stone chips along the roof line just above the W/S glass on my 2019 classic as well. One hit so hard it dented the metal and chipped the paint right down to bare metal. I've had to touch that area up twice now since a bit of rust peeked through. This is a bad spot and I know in my area, you won't find a shop that would want to fix it.
Stone chips i would think would not be covered at all…just like deer strikes or fender benders. Its not their fault the paint was damaged.

However, to the original poster, if there is actual corrosion UNDER the paint causing it to bubble up on a 2 year old truck, i would think a good dealer would have no problem fixing this for you. Thats just wrong. And unfortunately, it would make me question what else may be wrong. Did it not get primed properly, and if so, in what other areas will it start showing its ugly face down the road?

PoMansRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
That lip above the .windshield catches every bit of that sand on the right side of the Yellow Line.
It works just like decomposed granite or sand blasting material...

Yep, that's the area! (I don't think I described it well above)

It's unbelievable how dinged that area is on mine, yet I have yet to loose a windshield due to a stone chip. Here we go.. LOL

I know we've had 4th gen Ram 1500 owners here have chips get away from them in this area and form holes.

It's a bad spot because it's so difficult to reach.

RamHemi18

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
This post reminded me to take mine in for the bubble on the hood as well as a rusty rear bumper. Also have a rust spot on the panel below my fuel door. Taking it in tomorrow for inspection to see what's covered. I'll keep you guys updated on the bubble and see what they say. I think the bubble the OP has should be covered, sounds like the paint didn't adhere well and its separating. Got to get them fixed while we still can under warranty....hopefully!

Dan Topp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
After one short hail storm that the 19 1500 classic and my one owner( me) 11 Audi A3 were side by side the damages were 6570 for the tradesmen and 3800 for the Audi both only had chips to the windshield. Hate to bash the ram,but the Audi is twice as strong metal wise

RamHemi18

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
After one short hail storm that the 19 1500 classic and my one owner( me) 11 Audi A3 were side by side the damages were 6570 for the tradesmen and 3800 for the Audi both only had chips to the windshield. Hate to bash the ram,but the Audi is twice as strong metal wise
If you take the ram through the car wash you know it's not very strong metal. The wash I go to spins very slow and the blowers make my roof cave in a bit each time. It's not very strong for sure!

UTAHPWRWGN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
I got my truck in december of 2019 and i just discovered a rust bubble on the top of the drivers side front windshield. any idea if this is covered by my warranty? i'm taking it in in two weeks to have it looked at. I live california which seems odd that this is happening

You live in San Francisco (according to your profile anyway) where there's a never ending stream of salty moisture coming from that big puddle to the west. It's not surprising at all really.

Dan Topp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If you take the ram through the car wash you know it's not very strong metal. The wash I go to spins very slow and the blowers make my roof cave in a bit each time. It's not very strong for sure!
I don’t know if it’s relevant but the PDR guy said that the Audis dents from the same incident may crack the paint during the same removal process

Grand Mesa

Reaction score
Pacifica use to have a rusty car contest decades ago. Living on the peninsula though my vehicles never had any issues.

Last edited:

PoMansRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I don’t know if it’s relevant but the PDR guy said that the Audis dents from the same incident may crack the paint during the same removal process

On that topic, I did overhear a PDR tech mention that the paint used on late model Ram vehicles tends to play nice with PDR. That's kind of win I think.

Regardless, that ridge across the top of the w/s is a horrible spot on 4th gens. It's an area that easily gets overlooked and it needs to be checked any time you wash the vehicle or pop the hood IMO.

Dan Topp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
On that topic, I did overhear a PDR tech mention that the paint used on late model Ram vehicles tends to play nice with PDR. That's kind of win I think.

Regardless, that ridge across the top of the w/s is a horrible spot on 4th gens. It's an area that easily gets overlooked and it needs to be checked any time you wash the vehicle or pop the hood IMO.
It looks good now that it’s done,no blemishes Now I have a parking spot on top or under the new liftimage.jpg

Wilytrash

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My 2017 Ram that had bubbling on the front part of the hood was covered by warranty. I was shocked when the service writer said it was covered. But I didn't argue. He said it was covered for five years, I had six months to go.

RamHemi18

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
My 2017 Ram that had bubbling on the front part of the hood was covered by warranty. I was shocked when the service writer said it was covered. But I didn't argue. He said it was covered for five years, I had six months to go.
Same here. Just set mine up. I have till June to get it done. The hood bubble is covered. They wont cover my bumper, they said it didn't look OEM and couldn't find a part number on it. That I needed to contact the dealer I bought it from who certified it and see if they will cover it. I don't think I'll bother, they made their money, they wont do anything. What does frustrate me is it was certified used with a clean car fax.

OP
OP
hbleconey

hbleconey

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
looks like they are going to cover it but i need to get a quote from a third party shop as the dealership here doenst have a body shop