Rust on rear fenders

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

theamazingkuskus

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So I’ve got a few bubbles popping up on my rear fenders of my 2011 Ram 1500. I bought the truck this year and immediately got it Krowned. Clearly the rust is coming from the inside out. I have wheel well covers but clearly they weren’t doing a good enough job. I don’t really have the funds to get a full panel replacement done but I really don’t want the rust to get worse. I was thinking of taking the wheel well covers out and giving the inside of the fender/wheel well a light sanding to remove flakes and then spraying a rust converter or rust killer and then topping that off with a spray on bedliner or rubberized rockerguard coating. Has anyone had any experience doing this and is it possible this will stop the rust enough for now? Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

69GWC

Power Wagon
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 8sp
I think the problem will be getting to the part where its rusted at, if you could get to it you could dand it down and paint it and stop it.

twooldfarmers

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Laramie Crew 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I think the problem will be getting to the part where its rusted at, if you could get to it you could dand it down and paint it and stop it.
Drill a hole from ii beside the box. One that can be plugged with a nickle plated breaker panel knock-out plug
Wash that area out with wash wand. Dry thoroughly, treat a few times with rust converter, then treat several times a year with 80/90 gear oil. And put on some used fender flares and you can actually grease the currently affected exterior areas with grease before applying the flares.

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

Bee1971

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Sport 4x4
Engine
345 Hemi

This

Because once you remove the plastic wheel well liner you will see the huge metal support brace that is spot welded in place for the rear quarter / bed

The rust starts behind that support brace/structure and inside of rear quarter panel

OP
OP
theamazingkuskus

theamazingkuskus

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
This

Because once you remove the plastic wheel well liner you will see the huge metal support brace that is spot welded in place for the rear quarter / bed

The rust starts behind that support brace/structure and inside of rear quarter panel

Wow I didn’t realize that I haven’t had a chance to look under there yet. I guess the best option does sound like drilling a hole in from the bed. Sounds very similar to what Krown does but they don’t seem to target that spot.
What about the outside? I was thinking of buying some fender flares and taping off the area, sanding, POR15 then top coat and putting flares on that. Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk