Safety issue with AC system in cold weather

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mossybloak

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Outdoorsman
Just curious how many of you live in cold weather climates and have to recharge your AC system 1 or 2 times a year? I've got the new refrigerant so it's $300-400 every time I have to re-fill the system. At any rate, I was cruising down the highway today and turned on my windshield defroster. The AC system had emptied itself so the windshield immediately fogged up and froze into a solid sheet of ice on the inside of the truck. Temp was -15 at the time. Almost had a collision with another vehicle due to this. I doubt this affects enough people for FCA to care about but just curious if anybody else has to recharge their ridiculously expensive system on a regular basis?

OP
OP
Mossybloak

Mossybloak

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Outdoorsman
That's correct. Unfortunately the dealership is unable to locate a leak and they are the only place within a 6 hour drive that can service this system.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If you have to recharge your system that much, you have a leak somewhere. Its a sealed system and should always hold refrigerant. Regardless of temperature .

Definitely a leak. Why do they not put the dye in there and check for a leak? In 2009, late, I bought "Momma" a 2010 F150 XLT with the Triton 5.4 motor, plenty of hosspower and plenty of gas, LOL. NE way, it was only Sept and it still 80-100 deg here. AC quit working, there was a leak in the T up front. They recharged, put stop leak in, ordered new part, flushed entire system, replaced T and recharged. All on FORD's nickel/dime/quarter etc..

Not sure where the RAM's issues are on leaks on this system, only know Ford because I had one. And FWIW, MY 19 AC adequate, definitely not blow U away. I had to Dealer twice, got the old: AC within specs message.,. U all know that story, or the ole: We could not duplicate the problem. Just saying...

ADDED: Mossy, wat's dat white stuff?????

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
At -15°F the AC system is not going to cycle on. The pressure of the refrigerant at that temperature is about 2 psi, which is below the low pressure cut-off. If an car AC system is leaking out in less than a year and the dealer tech can't find it, you need to find a different tech.
Do you drive with the HVAC system set to recirculation in cold temps?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mossybloak

Mossybloak

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Outdoorsman
No, typically fresh air (vent and floor) or windshield defrost as fogging is a constant issue.

TonyMM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 RAM 1500 CC 6"4 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Until which temperature is the AC working?

OP
OP
Mossybloak

Mossybloak

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Outdoorsman
It happens every winter, not sure what temp causes the gaskets to shrink and refrigerant to leak. It definitely leaks out though. Once warmer temps arrive this summer I will have to have it filled because it will no long cool either. I recall a thread where people double up a certain gasket/washer and it solves the leak. I'll post a link here if I find it again. I contacted Ram Cares....but they don't seem to in this case.

OP
OP
Mossybloak

Mossybloak

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Outdoorsman
Thanks for all the input everyone.

Black W900

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Never heard of this "problem" before....Just sounds like a leaky system.
Pretty easy to diagnose.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
No, typically fresh air (vent and floor) or windshield defrost as fogging is a constant issue.
I would check to see if the recirculation door is working as it sounds like a humidity issue. At temperatures below about 20°F, when the outside air is heated up to there is usually very little moisture in the air. It's possible the recirc door is hanging up and the air inside the cab is recirculating building up moisture. When you flip over to defrost that moisture collects on the colder windshield. I would keep the air coming out the defroster vents.
I remember reading about some gasket being doubled up to fix a leak, can't remember if it was on the condenser or where the flow tube is

Until which temperature is the AC working?
Automotive AC use a low pressure control to keep the evaporator coil from freezing, so the closer the outside temp is to freezing the less the AC will run. It will eventually be cold enough the the refrigerant pressure will not be high enough for the compressor to start.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
What year is your truck? Trucks from about 2013-2017 had a very common leak from the accumulator fitting on the condenser. The past few summers we were dealing with this on a daily occurrence.

His info says 2014, most likely you nailed it.

FXCLM5

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Laramie CC
Engine
ED 3.0 V6
my 14 had ac issues year 2 as well and i had to recharge it

TRCM

USN, Retired
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 1500 Laramie CC 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If you have to recharge your system that much, you have a leak somewhere. Its a sealed system and should always hold refrigerant. Regardless of temperature .

Recharging the system 1-2 times a year......that's not a leak......that a big flippin hole somewhere.

Raylan Givens

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Crew
Engine
I try to run my AC every once and a while in the winter to keep the compressor seals oiled and pliable.

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk

TonyMM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 RAM 1500 CC 6"4 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I try to run my AC every once and a while in the winter to keep the compressor seals oiled and pliable.

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk

That’s also what I was told to do years ago.