Salt is coming soon I fear

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

stevenP

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 2500 Longhorn
Engine
6.7L Cummins
I am guessing I am in a minority, but I will putting my HD in storage soon for winter. Its my intent to not drive this truck in the slop. In the past I used my 3500 DRW, to tow my RV and it never saw snow either. But honestly with the diesel back up to almost $6 per gallon again here, guess I am not missing much. Fill up the tank, and put the tender on it and thats a wrap. Man this new version of the cummins gets about 20% better MPG for when towing my RV so far too.

Last edited:

06 Dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
I am guessing I am in a minority, but I will putting my HD in storage soon for winter. Its my intent to not drive this truck in the slop. In the past I used my 3500 DRW, to tow my RV and it never saw snow either. But honestly with the diesel back up to almost $6 per gallon again here, guess I am not missing much. Fill up the tank, and put the tender on it it and thats a wrap. Man this new version of the cummins gets about 20% better MPG for when towing my RV so far too.
Does your fuel have Bio in the diesel in your area, if so I would also treat it with anti gel and algicide, I've read of algae growing in B-5 diesel in just a few months...

18CrewDually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 H.O.
I'm pretty much doing the same this year. I have a 2003 TRD Tacoma I'll run around in unless I get a hauling job, but even then I'll only run the RAM if the roads are free of the salt. Since I bought it in 2019 it has crossed one county road that they salted. That's it. Not a speck of rust and I'm trying to keep it that way!

Oliver Closehauf

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 Laramie
Engine
Cummins 5.9
Me too. Tank is full of "Strategic Reserve". Putting it up on blocks right in my front yard! Well, back yard.

Moose2

Military
Reaction score
I also do not drive in the slop. At this rate, it might get broke in by the time he,! Freezes over. 21 drw,h.o.

SniperDroid

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I mostly use the truck to tow the camper, but occasionally I need to use it in the winter. Nearby there is a LASER WASH with a good strong undercarriage spray I take it to if I run it through the snow or slush. It still looks pretty good underneath after a couple of seasons. Pride in Ownership is a big deal in our household.

Timsdually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
I mostly use the truck to tow the camper, but occasionally I need to use it in the winter. Nearby there is a LASER WASH with a good strong undercarriage spray I take it to if I run it through the snow or slush. It still looks pretty good underneath after a couple of seasons. Pride in Ownership is a big deal in our household.
You have a car wash that takes trucks?
Every car wash I have seen around always has signs "No trucks", "No duallies".

Nickx86

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
i guess i am lucky, I can find plenty of car washes by me. Thought I just fit height wise into 84” clearance

SniperDroid

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Most of the washes around here can take trucks without dual wheels, some are posted NO RAPTORS, or oversize trucks. Their are also the old style wash bays with the pressure wash want that can take any size pickup. Most of those have heated concrete so the approach and bay does not ice up.

OP
OP
stevenP

stevenP

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 2500 Longhorn
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Man, 4 inches of wet snow today, in northern indiana. The ick, has arrived.

White six four

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I really want my truck to sit in the shed all winter and keep it from rusting as much as possible......but some people like going for drives out in the country on sunny summer days and I like going for drives out in the country right after or during a big snow.

06 Dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
I drove my 2006 in IA snow, ice & slop for 12 years with no rust, like others said undercarriage car wash or those with a wand works wonders to help get did of road salt, I also sprayed it with undercoating to help out when I first got it...

Socalramfan

Supporting Member
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Big Horn
Engine
I really want my truck to sit in the shed all winter and keep it from rusting as much as possible......but some people like going for drives out in the country on sunny summer days and I like going for drives out in the country right after or during a big snow.

Well said :waytogo:

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
My 1996 is rust free and was driven year round. We have a lot of salt. It was kept clean, not Rust Checked or undercoated. Has 260,000 Klms on it.

Rust Checked the new truck. Car washes here take trucks, always use the wand wash, and some of them have light duty under carriage wash, but you can get at a lot with the wand. I would prefer no salt but that means a 4-5 month use season and that doesn't work as hunting season always has salt.

68PowerWagon

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Laramie 3500
Engine
6.7 CTD
Man, 4 inches of wet snow today, in northern indiana. The ick, has arrived.
Yeah I am next to you in Ohio. We got about 3-4 as well. And they were salting the bridges & over passes. My truck is my DD to so I can't lock er' up for the winter. I pressure wash the under carriage about once a week in the winter. I added under coat to the prone rusting areas around the wheel wells. Also mist WD-40 underneath 2 or 3 times in the winter to. So far zero rust on my 2016.

Laps

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Fluid Film works and even the dealer was impressed by the almost total absence of rust on the under carriage.

jagman_xjs

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003 2011 2019 2023
Engine
5.7 Hemi(s)
This is the ONLY reason I still have my Prius. It is my salt car. It's a Prius so who cares? LOL