Scared of 68RFE?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

baddarryl

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Hi all. I will be upgrading to a 2022 3500 6.7 3.73 non HO with the RFE. Maybe I read too much, but I have come across many a horror story about theses transmissions.

My intended use is for my fencing company. A few times a month I may pull 10-12k around town for local jobs mostly. It will also be my daily driver. My understanding is as long as you don't hot rod or really push these transmissions they are fairly reliable. If and when they do break it is probably wise to bullet proof them.

I don't mind that thought, but I am hoping I can get some mileage on the stock one without issues. When we retire in a few years and hit the road I may bullet proof it at that time.

What has been your experience with theses in stock form with only occasional medium heavy use?

I am also debating the SRW vs DRW thing and know the pros and cons. I probably don't actually need it but once in a blue moon, but do kinda really just want the Dually. Then again hitting the road in a few years trailer in tow. I do tend to keep vehicles for 5 years + usually.

Thanks
Darryl.

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
99% of the problems with the 68RFE come from people tuning and cranking up the HP. In stock form it will be fine, don't stress about it.

For what you are pulling a single rear wheel 3500 will do the job no problem.

MoparProud

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Stop worrying. As with most things, it is blown WAY out of proportion. Yes, the valve body will eventually warp and bleed pressure to passages where it shouldn’t, but the transmission is a PERFECTLY fine unit.

When the valve body leaks, a billet plate with gaskets is an easy, relatively cheap swap.

Anyone that says the 68RFE is junk is a *****. Don’t listen to them. Same crowd that says the 4 speeds in older trucks are junk....stupid.

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
There are a couple of things you can do to beef up the 68RFE without getting inside the case.

ATS makes a nice brace that keeps the case from twisting and cracking under load.

Another items is a deeper transmission pan with fins to promote cooling. Mag HyTec makes one.

I used both on my 2017 fully deleted Cummins and experienced no transmission issues.

JayLeonard

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 L Cummins

Scared of 68RFE?​

No
Not scared a Duramax or a Powerstroke.

Clowns? Maybe

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
The one good thing about especially the 68 is they are very buildable, everyone makes upgrades for them, and I would take advantage. My brother in law chewed up 3 transmissions with his 3500 cummins, but that was before the 68 and before we knew all the upgrades. Thanks to hemi395 for finding those gems vids. In theory you address the weaknesses they are as good as anything. Metal thread upgrade and synthetic filter options should be standard equipment.

You build the valve body with a plate upgrade and tune pressure, you just made that transmission as good as anything and better then most. When you do this doing the syn filter upgrade is a must, you dont want a plastic thread holding higher psi.

You can build the valve body here

learn about rfe weakness here

MoparProud

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I’m as pro-68 as they come and haven’t ever even owned one, but even built they aren’t as good as anything....they have downsides and drawbacks that cannot be addressed. Depends on usage and power levels of course.

They will never hold the power a 48re or Allison will. They will always be what they are, an adapted half ton transmission that was also used in Dakotas and Jeep Liberty’s and such. Yep, nothing kills your man card like parking your big diesel dually 68RFE next to your sisters Jeep Liberty with 3.7 and realizing it’s got the same damn transmission.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
I've not seen any RFE transmission issue related to the load capacity of the geartrain, which is the expensive part of the transmission. In other words, no planetary gear set spall-outs or clutch pack glaze-overs.

The issue with these transmissions is a poorly designed hydraulic valve body - not stiff enough, not accurate enough. In a word, "cheap". Really a shame as the weakest link in any mechanism limits its usefulness.

I'm still assessing the best replacement strategy for mine. Aftermarket designs, pricing, and advertisements are all over the place.

OP
OP
B

baddarryl

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Jesus guys. This has me re thinking everything. The dealer tells me the HO option with the Aisin is not even available.

Blasphemy on this site maybe, but this whole discussion has me thinking Duramax/Allison. It's a shame you can't get a gear drive anymore.

I have a 2017 GMC Sierra 5.3 gas that is a fine light duty truck. Very comfortable and drives well. I have had non stop check engine lights with it. Had to replace an injector and that seems to have solved that. It also feels like the tranny will fall out one day as they do have known issues. That's what has me spoiled to GM. Plus a stint as a Service Writer for Exxon in the early 90's. What junk the made then.

Aaaaagh!

This begs another question a little off topic. I have always driven used sub $10k vehicles and accepted their issues. I bought the GMC with 10,000 miles at 1 years old. I guess I expected to be flawless. Silly me.

MoparProud

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
i don’t know where dealers are getting their misinformation, it’s insane. Guy said the other day Hydro Blue and 360* cameras weren’t available.

Every option is available, it depends how long you’re going to have to wait is the question.

There is no better towing rig than a Ram with a Cummins, period. Anyone being honest with themselves knows it. Look at all the hotshots. All the rodeos. Anyone that tows all the time, majority drive a Ram. Why? You can’t beat the Cummins. And if anything happens, pop the hood on a Cummins and pop the hood on the others, argument over. Ease of access on the Cummins is FAR superior.

Nothing against Duramax, but it no longer has an Allison so that’s kinda crappy. The superior truck and drivetrain is at your local Ram dealer.

OP
OP
B

baddarryl

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
So let me reiterate. If the tranny is warranted for 5 years and I only rarely push it hard if ever I should be good to go? Just plan to upgrade it when it goes after warranty? I am assuming all these upgrades could void the warranty. Is that correct?

I agree when I see what everyone is using over the road that's what has me leaning this way. The guys in the towing company next to me use nothing but these as well.

MoparProud

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You will be fine. 100%

As miles get put on, it is only a matter of time before the valve body leaks. Nature of the beast. Then it’s as simple as a billet plate for the valve body; drain fluid, remove pan, remove valvebody, remove factory plate and replace with billet plate and gasket material between. It’s a good idea to upgrade whatever you can on the valvebody while you’re in there. It is the source of most issues with the 68RFE.

Don’t be scared of it. It’s a PERFECTLY capable transmission and really pretty darn reliable.

That explains pretty well what I’m referring to. There’s a video down the page as well. My coworker just did his himself this summer, he’s not overly mechanical and handled it with no problems.

JNelson

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
In my old 2001 48Re (I think it was) towing heavy oil field hot shot I put 150,000 miles on it before I put in a new BD torque converter and a valve body. Traded the truck in at 413,000 miles still pulling strong. Just take care of it and don’t abuse it. You’ll be fine.

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
So let me reiterate. If the tranny is warranted for 5 years and I only rarely push it hard if ever I should be good to go? Just plan to upgrade it when it goes after warranty? I am assuming all these upgrades could void the warranty. Is that correct?

I agree when I see what everyone is using over the road that's what has me leaning this way. The guys in the towing company next to me use nothing but these as well.

You will be fine (as long as you don't tune it and crank up the HP). And yes, upgrades will void the warranty. (assume you are talking transmission upgrades?)

The 68 gets a bad rap because everyone runs a 100hp+ tune and drives like a teenager then they cry the blues when it craps out. Well duh....

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
As others have stated, the 68RFE or RFEs in general get a bad reputation because guys tune their trucks and then race or beat the chit out of them. I've been running a custom tune on my 2013 1500 65RFE for about 60000 miles now with 0 issues. I have towed my camper from MA to Utah and back, MA to Florida and back, and several trips into the northern NH mountains. But my tunes are pretty mild and I do my fluid/filter changes way earlier than the specified intervals.

Avoid WOT downshifts at highway speeds, change your fluid/filters early, do the before mentioned upgrades and it will be a good trans for you.

Also as mentioned before GM no longer uses an Allison trans, it's an "Allison branded" trans which is essentially a GM built Allison trans. They are NOT the bulletproof Allison trans from 15 years ago...

Last edited:

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
@Hemi395 - have you upgraded any valve body components?
No, I haven't touched the internals other than filter changes. I was going to put a Transgo shift kit in which helps seal the valve body pistons better but I kinda don't want to mess with a good thing lol

Forgot to mention the truck has 77k on it now

Firebird

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi
i don’t know where dealers are getting their misinformation, it’s insane. Guy said the other day Hydro Blue and 360* cameras weren’t available.

Every option is available, it depends how long you’re going to have to wait is the question.

There is no better towing rig than a Ram with a Cummins, period. Anyone being honest with themselves knows it. Look at all the hotshots. All the rodeos. Anyone that tows all the time, majority drive a Ram. Why? You can’t beat the Cummins. And if anything happens, pop the hood on a Cummins and pop the hood on the others, argument over. Ease of access on the Cummins is FAR superior.

Nothing against Duramax, but it no longer has an Allison so that’s kinda crappy. The superior truck and drivetrain is at your local Ram dealer.
Yes, at the horse events, it's 80% Cummins all the way

David F

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
cummins 6.7l diesel
Just put 8500 miles on my 2019 Ram 2500, 6.7L Cummins on a cross country RV trip, pulling 10000 lbs 5th wheel. Mountains, back roads, did it all with my 3.73 and 68RFE no problems. couldn't have run better.