School me on gears

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Deepfried

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ok, so I've been reading posts regarding rear diff gears. My trucks is an 01 1500 5.2 automatic RCSB with 3.55 gears according to my build sheet.

My plans are to eventually over time to make it a hot rod style truck. No lift, no 4x4, no heavy towing. Running recommended tire size. My first major mod will be a PATC viper tranny.

Is it worth the time and money for me to upgrade my gears? Will their be any benefit for my application? Why?

Thanks for any reply.

leadrofthepak

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
This would largely depend on your driving demands for the truck once you complete the build. If fuel economy is more important than speed, 3.55 gears would serve you better than say 4.11 gears. However, if speed (acceleration) is your cup of tea, then 4:56 gears will make you giggle. All that being said, if you do plan to upgrade your rear end gears, I recommend a quality aftermarket (Yukon) locker.

OP
OP
Deepfried

Deepfried

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
This would largely depend on your driving demands for the truck once you complete the build. If fuel economy is more important than speed, 3.55 gears would serve you better than say 4.11 gears. However, if speed (acceleration) is your cup of tea, then 4:56 gears will make you giggle. All that being said, if you do plan to upgrade your rear end gears, I recommend a quality aftermarket (Yukon) locker.

Actually yes, I'm very interested in making my rig "beast mode"... Lol

So 4.56s would be fine with my 245/75/16s?

Any suggested vendors or brands?

leadrofthepak

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yukon makes a strong gear set for the 9.25 diffy. My personal suggestion would be a lower profile, wider tire for the tall gears. Your gonna have problems hooking up with skinny stock tires.
http://www.yukongear.com/

Last edited:

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
I say run a 285/65 if you can find it, then MAYBE 4.10s with a limited slip.

That'll make you giggle. :naughty:

And I'll personally never own a truck without an LSD ever.

leadrofthepak

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

Mine has an open rear... that being said, if i had the funds and a non-rusty-pig to play with, I would prefer a locker over an lsd any day. A detroit locker trumps a LSD every day all day. More durable and more reliable. Again, just my humble opinion.

OP
OP
Deepfried

Deepfried

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Mine has an open rear... that being said, if i had the funds and a non-rusty-pig to play with, I would prefer a locker over an lsd any day. A detroit locker trumps a LSD every day all day. More durable and more reliable. Again, just my humble opinion.

Could you elaborate on that? What besides durability makes the lockers better in your opinion?

OP
OP
Deepfried

Deepfried

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I say run a 285/65 if you can find it, then MAYBE 4.10s with a limited slip.

That'll make you giggle. :naughty:

Wait, so a wider tire with my stock 3.55s? Why not 4.56s?

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum

Fo sho! I agree with you wholeheartedly, but most lockers in a short truck don't behave as nice on the street as a TruTrac.

FUN FACT: if you've got good enough tires, you can pull some KILLER drifts in the rain with these beasts. :naughty:

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Wait, so a wider tire with my stock 3.55s? Why not 4.56s?

Well....shorter sidewall + wide width = more traction, but less rolling resistance.

A shorter tire means the engine has to work less you get those tires moving, that means faster acceleration. :sparta:

OP
OP
Deepfried

Deepfried

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Well....shorter sidewall + wide width = more traction, but less rolling resistance.

A shorter tire means the engine has to work less you get those tires moving, that means faster acceleration. :sparta:

So what size rim would work well with this application?

leadrofthepak

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Could you elaborate on that? What besides durability makes the lockers better in your opinion?

Strength and durability. But DD94 is right at low speeds around town they do not behave as well as a traditional LSD. Think of a locker as an LSD that has to get kicked in the face to unlock. Translate that to taking turns and you will understand.

Merc225hp

Reaction score
Ram Year
truck
Engine
gas
OP
OP
Deepfried

Deepfried

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You'd have to get the tire size and see if it's shorter than what you have now.

I work at a tire and lube shop. :D

Shouldn't be an issue. ;)

Right now I'm rockin 245/75/16 Goodyear Wrangler A/T class Es on 16/7s. I have access to loads of tires at a 10% discount.

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
I work at a tire and lube shop. :D

Shouldn't be an issue. ;)

Right now I'm rockin 245/75/16 Goodyear Wrangler A/T class Es on 16/7s. I have access to loads of tires at a 10% discount.

lol Then you have access to the computer.

If you wanna get more power, ditch the ATs for sure.

Merc225hp

Reaction score
Ram Year
truck
Engine
gas
A 31x12.50 street drag radial and 4.56 ratio gears with a few motor mods and you are going to need to get more than 10% off tires.

Edit: This is a 2wd truck right? I am taking that it is as you said "Hot rod it"

Last edited: