Scraping rotational noise from wheels? Louder when towing boat.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Idledrummer

Idledrummer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Beyond repair? Not quite. That really isn't that bad for the area he's in. A Harbor Frieight Needle Scaler would clean that right up. Seen alot worse in the north east. I would replace the backing plate too while I'm there. Pretty common for them to rust out on all trucks.
That is calming me. I only paid 16k with 69k miles, 2011. I figure if people in Cuba manage to keep up their Chevrolets from 1950, I may be able to manage it. I just can’t afford anything else at the moment.

18CrewDually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 H.O.
I use Salt-Away to rinse the boat after a day out, started to rinse the truck under, at least to minimize further damage. I will use it in the winter.
Funny you say that. My buddy uses it. And I looked into it so now I get all kinds of info on it from social media. I'm destined to try it I suppose. From corrosion tests I've seen it works.

OP
OP
Idledrummer

Idledrummer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Funny you say that. My buddy uses it. And I looked into it so now I get all kinds of info on it from social media. I'm destined to try it I suppose. From corrosion tests I've seen it works.
Yes, definitely better than nothing. Thank you for all the tips. I will replace all rear brake hardware. Are you a mechanic? I am I. The meadowlands area.

18CrewDually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 H.O.
Yes, definitely better than nothing. Thank you for all the tips. I will replace all rear brake hardware. Are you a mechanic? I am I. The meadowlands area.
I was fleet mech. & fabricator then made a profession change but I never left doing work out of my garage along with transporting equipment on my gooseneck trlr. in S. Jersey

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Looking at PIC reminded me why at least once a week I always tried to clean the bottom of my vehicles because of the salt crapola, etc, not just from the road, but the Atlantic also. ., Well before I got older and learned about Krown, Fluid Film and other items. FTR, I am a Shore Kid,

OP: As a minimum I would replace all those brake parts and the back shields also. Another thought complete rear axle replacement, But all depends upon what U wanna put back into an apparently rusted older vehicle. IF I ever moved back home (as in NJ), I would be Fluid Film coating or Krown coating under my vehicle. I have a TEXAS truck and it definitely is not set up to run in those conditions ref road salt etc.

CAVEAT: If the back that bad, how does the front look to include suspension, brakes, rotors, etc,., hmmm.

OP
OP
Idledrummer

Idledrummer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Looking at PIC reminded me why at least once a week I always tried to clean the bottom of my vehicles because of the salt crapola, etc, not just from the road, but the Atlantic also. ., Well before I got older and learned about Krown, Fluid Film and other items. FTR, I am a Shore Kid,

OP: As a minimum I would replace all those brake parts and the back shields also. Another thought complete rear axle replacement, But all depends upon what U wanna put back into an apparently rusted older vehicle. IF I ever moved back home (as in NJ), I would be Fluid Film coating or Krown coating under my vehicle. I have a TEXAS truck and it definitely is not set up to run in those conditions ref road salt etc.

CAVEAT: If the back that bad, how does the front look to include suspension, brakes, rotors, etc,., hmmm.
I agree and decdied to replace everything. Already ordered all parts. I also sprayed rust remover, a but planning to coat as much as I can with something. I always though the back is worse, since the wheels tend to throw backwards. It is pretty bad everywhere. Complete rear axle sounds expensive, will skip that. Again, I only use the truck to put my boat in the water and light cargo.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I agree and decdied to replace everything. Already ordered all parts. I also sprayed rust remover, a but planning to coat as much as I can with something. I always though the back is worse, since the wheels tend to throw backwards. It is pretty bad everywhere. Complete rear axle sounds expensive, will skip that. Again, I only use the truck to put my boat in the water and light cargo.
Hey, wateva works for U. My only thought is safety for U, family and other PPL.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
begin spraying every nut, bolt and other fastener with
PB BLASTER, every day or two.

Do not bother with WD-40
WD means Water Displacer

OP
OP
Idledrummer

Idledrummer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
begin spraying every nut, bolt and other fastener with
PB BLASTER, every day or two.

Do not bother with WD-40
WD means Water Displacer
I will Do that. Yesterday I removed the spare tire, and wire brushed anything I could reach and painted with rust-oleum rust reformer.