Scraping rotational noise from wheels? Louder when towing boat.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Idledrummer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
I noticed a rotational scraping noise. I think it is coming from front wheels. Almost like if my brake pads clips were touching the rotor. I first noticed towing my boat, it was loud enough to hear it While driving on the city streets. i drove in circles on the cul-de-sac without towing, and the noise is much quieter, but still there. Bought this truck used, never done any work.

any tips where to start?

NCRaineman

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500 Classic
Engine
Hemi 5.7
How many miles?

Start by checking the brake pads. If you bought the truck used and the stock pads are still on there it may be time to change them.

If your mileage is higher it may be a wheel bearing that needs replacing.

Dodge 1500 4X4

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I would start with checking the front brakes, maybe the previous owner didn't tighten the caliper, put the pads on backwards, the calipers upside down (you'll be able to tell if the bleeder screw is on the bottom) something is hitting on the inside of the wheel, I had a good one the hammer on wheel weight was moving around on the wheel.

OP
OP
Idledrummer

Idledrummer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
How many miles?

Start by checking the brake pads. If you bought the truck used and the stock pads are still on there it may be time to change them.

If your mileage is higher it may be a wheel bearing that needs replacing.
I have 69000 miles. will Do that. Thank you!

OP
OP
Idledrummer

Idledrummer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
I would start with checking the front brakes, maybe the previous owner didn't tighten the caliper, put the pads on backwards, the calipers upside down (you'll be able to tell if the bleeder screw is on the bottom) something is hitting on the inside of the wheel, I had a good one the hammer on wheel weight was moving around on the wheel.
Thank you! The previous owner paid a local gas station shop for any work. Very possible. Just hope it is not some major problem.

indept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Start by looking underneath. Check all 4 wheels and drive shaft ( or shafts if it's 4wd)for loose wheel well liner or trash, sticks or other debri like a mattress. :oops:

download (17).jpeg

Spree

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I just replaced both front hub and wheel bearings assembly's on my truck recently because of the noise your describing. I also went with another front end alignment. She's quite now.

OP
OP
Idledrummer

Idledrummer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
20230819_174244_Original.jpeg
I started to disassemble the rear brake to take a better look, but the amount of rust stopped me. the Parking brake cable is sagging, and it maybe the Brake shoes are not retracting properly. S it time to replace some of this hardware? Or just clean and lube it?

Attachments

• 20230819_174248_Original.jpeg
    20230819_174248_Original.jpeg
    146.6 KB · Views: 3

18CrewDually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 H.O.
Yeah, you got rust. I'd have to do a complete tear down removing the rotors. With that much rust your parking brake shoes may be needing replacement too.

Rebel4Mo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
View attachment 526806
I started to disassemble the rear brake to take a better look, but the amount of rust stopped me. the Parking brake cable is sagging, and it maybe the Brake shoes are not retracting properly. S it time to replace some of this hardware? Or just clean and lube it?
That rust is severe!
Even the axle tube flange is beyond repair.I imaging the rest of the truck is a rust bucket!
I would replace the truck before throwing money at it.

18CrewDually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 H.O.
Yes, that is what I am thinking. Both sides. Any brand recommended? Or stick with Mopar?
Personally I use Napa brake components but I have an account there and oem parts are not convenient to obtain. But alot of people recommend oem pads.

18CrewDually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 H.O.
That rust is severe!
Even the axle tube flange is beyond repair.I imaging the rest of the truck is a rust bucket!
Beyond repair? Not quite. That really isn't that bad for the area he's in. A Harbor Frieight Needle Scaler would clean that right up. Seen alot worse in the north east. I would replace the backing plate too while I'm there. Pretty common for them to rust out on all trucks.

OP
OP
Idledrummer

Idledrummer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
That rust is severe!
Funny you say that. Yesterday I went to a body shop to get a quote on replacing inner rocker panels due to rust, and his answer was ”You better sell this truck”. Sadly, I just bought it last year, only use it to launch my boat.

18CrewDually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 H.O.
Funny you say that. Yesterday I went to a body shop to get a quote on replacing inner rocker panels due to rust, and his answer was ”You better sell this truck”. Sadly, I just bought it last year, only use it to launch my boat.
That's why I don't drive my 18 in the salty brine winter months. Sad what the chemicals do to vehicles.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Orca