Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Cloudmine

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I have a 2017 Ram 1500 4WD Laramie Crew w/ 8-speed auto, 3.21 gears, and 6'4" bed. Original P275/60R20 114S tires are done and I just purchased a travel trailer with loaded (Wet) weight of ~5,600 lbs. I am looking for reccomendations for a good all round tire, well suited to mostly pavement with winter snow/ice/freezing, towing trailer and very occasional light off road. My driving breakdown is roughtly: dry pavement 65%, winter pavement 15%, towing 15%, 5% light off road.
Thanks, Marc.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
wowsers, no one has recommended he buy a 2500 to tow that trailer yet? D'oh!

You can't go wrong with Michelin tires, in the 20" it would be the LTX A/T 2

OC455

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018, 2019
Engine
5.7 Hemi Big Horn, 6.4L Hemi 3500 Longhorn Mega cab
I had Nitto Terra Grappler G2s on my 18 Big Horn

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
I second the michelins, but have heard good things about the nittos also. Personally, I dont care for BFGs, over many different vehicles, I never seemed to get good life out of them.

OP
OP
C

Cloudmine

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Thanks, these are the ones available locally in stock:

SL 4-ply 2,679-lb load at 44-PSI
- $233 Cooper Discoverer AT3 4S 44lbs 65K mi warranty
- $245 Michelin Defender LTX M/S 42lbs 70k mi warranty

XL 4-ply 2,756-lbs load at 50-PSI
- $237 Nitto Terra Grappler G2 43lbs 65k mi warranty

LT D 8 Ply 2,998-lb load at 65-PSI
- $266 BFG T/A KO2 56lbs 50k mi warranty
- $266 Falken Wildpeak A/T3W 59lbs 55k mi warranty

OP
OP
C

Cloudmine

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
To be fair, I never planned on towing when I bought the 1500 or I would have bought a 2500 back then, but it hardly seems worth upgrading for this trailer alone as I only have 25k mi on it.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
BF Goodrich KO2

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Sorry man but for what the OP described, I don’t think those rough-ridin’ things is what he’d be interested in. Not only that, he asked for recommendations, not generally just what anybody particularly likes for their own particular driving style or what they run based on that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I second the michelins, but have heard good things about the nittos also. Personally, I dont care for BFGs, over many different vehicles, I never seemed to get good life out of them.

If I was running some pretty serious off-road, I’d be on those BFGs in a heartbeat but just for a daily driver that hardly ever sees anything other than asphalt or concrete, I’d steer clear of those.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
To be fair, I never planned on towing when I bought the 1500 or I would have bought a 2500 back then, but it hardly seems worth upgrading for this trailer alone as I only have 25k mi on it.

I also second the Michelin Defender LTX. For what you described, those would probably do excellent. When you said light off-roading, I don’t know if you meant just gravel roads or rocky roads that would eat up P-rated tires in a heartbeat, only very rarely traveled but either way, a lot of people recommend the 10-ply version of those Michelin’s, stating that the ride, although a little stiffer being that it’s a LT load range E tire, rides fairly smooth for what it is. Depending on the type of light off-roading you do, they’d probably even stand up better to rocks and other objects that would turn your factory tires into Swiss cheese.

Ridgerunner665

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Sorry man but for what the OP described, I don’t think those rough-ridin’ things is what he’d be interested in. Not only that, he asked for recommendations, not generally just what anybody particularly likes for their own particular driving style or what they run based on that.

That was a recommendation.

They're not rough riding for a D rated tire, they've always lasted me a good while, and they tow just fine... that's from experience, I've had this set a while now, have towed a little over 8,000 pounds with them (building materials on a 14 foot utility trailer)... the tires do fine on and off road (cow pasture type stuff mostly).

I don't doubt the LTX is a good tire too.

Last edited:

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That was a recommendation.

They're not rough riding for a D rated tire, they've always lasted me a good while, and they tow just fine... that's from experience, I've had this set a while now, have towed a little over 8,000 pounds with them (building materials on a 14 foot utility trailer)... the tires do fine on and off road (cow pasture type stuff mostly).

I don't doubt the LTX is a good tire too.

That’s just it, opinions are always gonna vary when it comes to deciding on what’s going to be considered a smooth running tire and what’s not going to be and even though the OP didn’t specify if ride quality and fuel economy needed to be preserved but I still don’t think the BFG AT is a good recommendation for what he’s looking for, simply because he said he’s not going to be jerking around a trailer near as heavy as yours and that his off-roading is going to be significantly less than yours.

But since I’ve had the very same tires that you do, my opinion of them is way different than yours. If I would’ve spent a lot more time offroading then I probably would’ve more than likely just overlooked it but since my truck sees very very little of off road, those tires were just too much. Running them at 40 psi preserved a tiny bit of my trucks ride quality but they also handled like crap at that lower pressure as well until I found out that I was supposed to be running those tires at 55 psi, they had great handling after that but the ride quality sucked. I don’t recommend these tires to anybody unless you do some fairly hard-core off-roading to where you need a tire that tough with that kind of traction. There’s much better choices out there that will give you good stability and pretty much everything that the OP said he was after.

And just so you know, I’m not ******* on your choice of tires, nor am I telling you what to run or what to like or anything else, I’m only saying this just for the benefit of the OP or for somebody else who may be reading this that has pretty much the same preferences towards tires.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks, these are the ones available locally in stock:

SL 4-ply 2,679-lb load at 44-PSI
- $233 Cooper Discoverer AT3 4S 44lbs 65K mi warranty
- $245 Michelin Defender LTX M/S 42lbs 70k mi warranty

XL 4-ply 2,756-lbs load at 50-PSI
- $237 Nitto Terra Grappler G2 43lbs 65k mi warranty

LT D 8 Ply 2,998-lb load at 65-PSI
- $266 BFG T/A KO2 56lbs 50k mi warranty
- $266 Falken Wildpeak A/T3W 59lbs 55k mi warranty

I have Falken AT3W's on MY 19 Bighorn, but I only got C rated tires, not E rated, since I tow rarely. The Falkens ride well and grip the road real well especially in rain and in snow/ice (Ref Feb 2021 Ice/Snow Storm) in Texas.

New tire on truck.jpg New tires left side truck.jpg

RumRunner

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have the Cooper AT3 4S and they did well in the snow this past winter (although it wasn't a bad winter here). I only tow a utility trailer and rarely go over 3500lbs, but they had no issues there. Gives a decent ride on the pavement and from the little bit of dirt/gravel roads I go on they had no issues there either. They were also the least expensive of the ones I had looked at too.

OP
OP
C

Cloudmine

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I also second the Michelin Defender LTX. For what you described, those would probably do excellent. When you said light off-roading, I don’t know if you meant just gravel roads or rocky roads that would eat up P-rated tires in a heartbeat, only very rarely traveled but either way, a lot of people recommend the 10-ply version of those Michelin’s, stating that the ride, although a little stiffer being that it’s a LT load range E tire, rides fairly smooth for what it is. Depending on the type of light off-roading you do, they’d probably even stand up better to rocks and other objects that would turn your factory tires into Swiss cheese.

Light off roading for me would be occasional gravel/dirt roads to get to camp sites or hunting areas.

phitchr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
I have had good luck with Goodyears on all of my vehicles. Had Cooper Discoverer AT3's on my 2500 and they were a really solid tire for mixed use.

ontariokeener

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have 230,000 km (143,000 miles) on my 2014 1500 Sport Hemi 5'7" bed. After the factory Badyears went, I have been through two sets of Cooper Dicoverer ATWs, both of which I had good experience with. I felt that the ride was comparable to the factory tires. Last fall I put on a set of BFG KO2s - load range D, and they were not really any different than the Coopers in ride. They do have a bit stiffer sidewall and seem a bit better at managing my 5,000 lb dry/6,400 lb loaded travel trailer. Not enough miles on them yet to tell what treadwear will be like, but they peformed well in snow. Our company fleet is over 300 HD Ford pickups and they all run KO2s - I am not aware of any significant issues. For towing, I am of the opinion that LT tires are a better choice than P-rated.