Shake/vibration

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jammer24

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Got a shake slight vibration at all speed however its worse around 75. I have replaced the front struts check the rear shocks and check U-joints. I have also swap the tires with a different truck and that's not it but the truck does have slotted rotors does anyone think that may contribute to it

OP
OP
Jammer24

Jammer24

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
UPDATE: replaced the rear shocks that rebound faster than the old ones. installed the rear tire back under the truck, no play in wheel bearings. (installed a set of 20's instead of 17's that make it worse) rebalanced and put the 17's back on and I have some improvement but not cured. I can also feel in the floor what feels like a brake that is metal to metal or a very bad wheel bearing that seems to come in around 50-55 mph. I have checked the wheel bearings I have no play at all how ever the RF has a little noise when I rotate the wheel that I think is from the pads. I guess the best way to describe this is having blown out shocks and the wheel is bouncing. putting the tire back under the truck and changing the rear shocks really helped.

dash3833

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
dunno if it's the same issue but I have a lifted 2015 Ram 1500... got new tires (load e rated 35X12.50 general grabbers) and started to develop a pretty bad vibration that was annoying the crap out of me. Many trips to Dodge... many rotations/balancing and replaced shocks/spacers with coil overs, rear shocks.. about every bushing and upper a arms (BDS), and still no improvement ...

I finally took to a four-wheel drive shop and they rebalanced my tires with beads instead of weights... solved it for 10 bucks a tire. Obviously, this was the last step in the process for me, and all the changes i did prior were solid and no regrets since I plan to keep the truck, but I wish I had started with the beads. Could even do it at home if you have a valve stem tool and an air compressor.

good luck!

OP
OP
Jammer24

Jammer24

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Well to update things. I had the front end aligned, It was off. So at this point I have determined that I have a wheel bearing starting to go bad. The wheel alignment changed the noise and turning slight left or right changes the noise. They are not at all loose though. When got the front loaded struts I purchased from auto zone. I asked my buddy there if they are gas charged and the answer was hydraulic.....so that tells me they are not. I know how a shock works so that really shouldn't make a difference. I'm thinking that my bounce or out of round feeling is from the front.....not sure how to confirm yet. it comes in around 55-60 until 80. after 80 it's smooth.

Travelin Ram

Reaction score
Somewhere in NA. Probably. We travel a lot.
Ram Year
Engine
I was going to ask about your brands of shocks and struts, then I saw “struts I purchased from auto zone”.

I would assess all your new parts and consider they may be faulty. Garbage quality is a big problem in parts these days. Especially if it’s not OEM or a reputable big name brand.

If you can find a shop that does the old school method of spin balancing on the vehicle, try that. I’ve identified and fixed vibrations with this that high tech roadforce machines couldn’t correct.

OP
OP
Jammer24

Jammer24

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I was going to ask about your brands of shocks and struts, then I saw “struts I purchased from auto zone”.

I would assess all your new parts and consider they may be faulty. Garbage quality is a big problem in parts these days. Especially if it’s not OEM or a reputable big name brand.

If you can find a shop that does the old school method of spin balancing on the vehicle, try that. I’ve identified and fixed vibrations with this that high tech roadforce machines couldn’t correct.
I thought about using my go pro to watch and see what is happening. I'm sure it is the front......I have been playing with tires pressures to help track it down....the issue is it is unpredictible as to hw bad it will be and at what speed it happens.....I have a spin balancer that I thought about using and label the weights i put on and trying that....Here is the thing the truck tag calls for 20" wheels. i bought it with 17". and after i purchased the new tires for the 17" i realized this. I had the 17"s put on......I have a 6 speed with 355 rear diff...I got a set of 20" and the truck likes the 17"s over the 20"s. i have more torque and get better fuel mileage.....the difference is my speedo is 3 miles fast.......I guess i have a buffer......so i'm going to stay with the 17"s and maybe go with a D or E rated tire. I haul a car trailer now and then and i think for that i would rather have the stiffer side wall......and more torque. I wish i could barrow and try a set of 17"s with e rated tires to try them......not a fan of feeling every crack in the road though...

Last edited:
OP
OP
Jammer24

Jammer24

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I just replaced the front wheel bearings and decided to put the tires on the balancer.....The result was surprising being that the tires had been road force balanced.....rather than take all the weights off I just spun balanced them and found them as much as 2.75 oz off on the inside, outside or both. so i just zeroed them out we will see.

OP
OP
Jammer24

Jammer24

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
So 2 things......can anyone tell me what the orange OP is on my image???

Second UPDATE: so I put the tires on my spin balancer a couple different times and my vib changes however Still can't get rid of it...I did notice that One of the wheels looked bent. So I sent them back to the tire shop (third Time) and they found one tire that came back with 40 lbs road force. Max they say is 26. the say the rim is fine. What's the deal with this road force. not so sure it's full proof. I will say every tire I have put on my machine (spin) that has been road forced they are out of balance. I have calibrated my machine twice. So I ordered a new replacement tire and a new rim. If this does not cure it I will take tires to a different shop to have them checked. I f they turn out ok not sure what i'll try next.

Travelin Ram

Reaction score
Somewhere in NA. Probably. We travel a lot.
Ram Year
Engine
Road force can give a better balance, but in my experience seldom does, because most shops are too lazy to use the machine correctly. They just mount the tire and spin it on the RF balancer; once and done.

The better method is more time consuming. Spin just the bare wheel to establish any high spots and imbalance. Second mount the tire and repeat. Third dismount tire if needed to oppose the imperfections on the wheel and tire. Only after all that is it balanced.

OP
OP
Jammer24

Jammer24

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
well as stated........mustang was road forced to find a vib.....I put on my spin balancer and it say they are off........I can see the advanbtage of road force.....however what about the rotational high speed balance that has been done for decades. When i ask that question it's avoided. but since road force i have never had so much trouble with smooth ride......
I have 20's on the truck now that are wore out ut point is......i balance them and everything inproved.