Should I order a 25

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kickboxer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi-non-Etorque
The 25's are hitting the ground and the hurricane engine is standard, the hemi is out it looks like.

OP
OP
Kickboxer

Kickboxer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi-non-Etorque
How do you know?

Mike1C5

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
Last edited:

Truckit

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Longhorn Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My dealer ordered me a 24 loaded Limited that I don't need to take if I wanted a 25. I am waiting on a 25 Tungsten. The Hurricane engine is proven. I trust it before a Hemi 6.4 and yes I have owned them as well. In fact I've owned 13 5.7 and 6.4 Hemis from 2006 to 2022.

White six four

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It's your money do what makes my happy. My opinion is the motor hasn't been out long enough to be proven reliable. Numbers don't mean anything when it's sitting in the shop to be fixed. Well except for how much you paid or are paying for it to not drive it. I don't need the newest or best of anything. If what I have works I keep it til it can't do it's job I need it do or the cost to fix it is too much.

So the countdown begins til a bunch of threads "my new super duper turbo charged hurricane doesn't get the advertised miles per gallon." Followed by a bunch of posts telling the driver to be easier on the skinny pedal, it's a truck, and give it time to break in. After some more miles driver accepts the less then advertised gas mileage.

blackbetty14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 VVT/Etorque
91 octane minimum, around here thats $4+/gal. The small if any increase in fuel savings is offset by the cost of the fuel. car and driver said it made 20MPG on the highway with the hemi making 19MPG but the Hemi can do that on 87 octane. I love turbos and boost but ask ford how the ecoboost motors are doing and how often the turbos are being replaced. I had an electrician upgrade my main panel on a new home I bought and he had a less than 2 yr old F150 sport with eco boost and something like 20k miles and he had the turbos replaced under warranty twice! He was idling in my driveway puffing blue smoke so thats why I asked him and the dealer is refusing to replace them again. Within a year he traded in and got a 5th gen ram and has been happy ever since. Turbo motors can make great usable power but 22-26psi (SO and HO) motors your gona need the 91-93 pump to get anywhere near the claimed HP numbers.

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
The 25's are hitting the ground and the hurricane engine is standard, the hemi is out it looks like.
Unless you don't like your '22 or are really excited for the face lift Ram 1500, I think you're better off keeping what you have for now. Arguments about whether or not the Hurricane is a proven engine aside, there is no escaping the fact that 2025 is the first model year of a minor redesign. History shows that most problems show up in that first year, and slowly get worked out in subsequent model years.
Hurricane good..
Haha...says you. :p

It's definitely too soon to know that, even though it's been used in Jeeps for a couple years. As a current owner of a truck with a six cylinder twin turbo, they can be good engines. But it's definitely a different driving experience. I'm sure the Hurricane engines will be fine. I just prefer a V8 engine in a truck having owned each.

Truckit

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Longhorn Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So based on your own words, don't buy a 25. I have almost 90K on my 22 Hemi and am waiting on a Tungsten. Let the rest of us make the mistake first.

Tactics

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If I remember correctly, Dodge put HEMI engines in trucks around 2003, and the worst years for the HEMI trucks were around 2011 or 2012. Many people believe the best years for the HEMI trucks were 2017 to the present. I didn't have any problems with the HEMI in my 2021 Dodge Sport, and I have not had any problems with the HEMI in my 2023 Dodge Rebel. (I wish I could say I have not had any problems with the Uconnect.) If it took about 14 years to perfect the HEMI engine, it seems unrealistic to believe that the Hurricane engine is not going to have a few serious problems for at least a few years. I plan to keep my HEMI truck for at least a few years before I decide if putting a Hurricane engine in a full-size truck is a good or bad idea.

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Arguments about whether or not the Hurricane is a proven engine aside, there is no escaping the fact that 2025 is the first model year of a minor redesign. History shows that most problems show up in that first year, and slowly get worked out in subsequent model years.
There’s nothing new on the 2025 Ram that hasn’t already been in play since the 2021 jeep grand Cherokee L, since it’s using all that same tech now.
Digital cluster since 2023, new exterior mirrors since 2023 HD Ram, etc.

Randy Grant

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
There’s nothing new on the 2025 Ram that hasn’t already been in play since the 2021 jeep grand Cherokee L, since it’s using all that same tech now.
Digital cluster since 2023, new exterior mirrors since 2023 HD Ram, etc.
But, are people using the Jeep for a hot rod/daily driver, or working it and putting it through a heavy work load day? Cruisin' and workin' are two differant things.

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
But, are people using the Jeep for a hot rod/daily driver, or working it and putting it through a heavy work load day? Cruisin' and workin' are two differant things.
I quoted mikeru where he was putting the hurricane engine arguments aside, and speaking strictly to the other first model year redesign problems. None of which is actually new to stellantis vehicles, just new to the ram.
But, as far as the engine in the ram, I would never categorize a ram 1500 as a hot rod (not sure why you tied daily driver into that, as that’s what the 1500’s have mostly been used for anyway?).
Wagoneers have been pulling boats and campers around with the hurricane for a while, and those forums are silent on hurricane engine issues.
I’m pretty sure they’ll do just fine in a 1500 for what they’re rated to tow around.

Last edited:

Dodge 1500 4X4

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I do not and never will like Twin Turbos in anything esp, a truck that you're going to need to spool the turbo's up to get the torque you require, esp. towing anything, again no replacement for displacement, owned a FERD W the twins had to have them rebuild twice, second time on my dime some $2,000 later, don't forget some cleaners injector cleaners such as seafoam is harmful to the turbine blades nobody tells you that!

OP
OP
Kickboxer

Kickboxer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi-non-Etorque
A Ram is not a Ferd..............

blackbetty14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 VVT/Etorque
If I remember correctly, Dodge put HEMI engines in trucks around 2003, and the worst years for the HEMI trucks were around 2011 or 2012. Many people believe the best years for the HEMI trucks were 2017 to the present. I didn't have any problems with the HEMI in my 2021 Dodge Sport, and I have not had any problems with the HEMI in my 2023 Dodge Rebel. (I wish I could say I have not had any problems with the Uconnect.) If it took about 14 years to perfect the HEMI engine, it seems unrealistic to believe that the Hurricane engine is not going to have a few serious problems for at least a few years. I plan to keep my HEMI truck for at least a few years before I decide if putting a Hurricane engine in a full-size truck is a good or bad idea.
The 03 hemi is a diff animal than the 09+, they raised the cams location to the crank and thus we have all these lifter issues, then add the manifold leaks/broken manifold bolts. Stellantis did nothing to cure the lifter issues and for the manifolds (reportedly lifter redesign in 2017/2018) all they did in 19 was add steel reinforcements to the outside of the manifolds which do nothing (now I hear the manifolds crack instead of a bolt breaking). My wifes 23 wagoneer has the 5.7 etorque and has had zero engine issues thus far but we have had the air suspension throw a fit.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowrider357