Should I stay away from Hemi because if breaking manifold bolts?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tim Garceau

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport Quad BSP
Engine
3.92 8 Speed 5.7 4X4
I lost a little sleep at night with the lifters, but looking at the big picture and how quickly this technology generation resorts to complaints online it escalated.

Based on the 6+ platforms and 500,000+ 5.7 Eagle Hemi Engines manufactured from 2009+, it’s extremely minuet.

My savings account took a sigh until I started spinning the motor near 6500, but let’s not act like the pentastar valve-train is bulletproof either!

OP
OP
H

Haas

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Is there a place to get statistics on how many 5.7's were produced, vs how many 5.7's had the cam/lifter issue?

OP
OP
H

Haas

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I lost a little sleep at night with the lifters, but looking at the big picture and how quickly this technology generation resorts to complaints online it escalated.

Based on the 6+ platforms and 500,000+ 5.7 Eagle Hemi Engines manufactured from 2009+, it’s extremely minuet.

My savings account took a sigh until I started spinning the motor near 6500, but let’s not act like the pentastar valve-train is bulletproof either!

I'm sure the pentastar isn't bullet proof, but if I'm going to drop about 30 grand on a truck, I'll go with the one that seems to have less issues. Just playing the odds. If we were talking about a cheap fix, I wouldn't care. But a 4 grand fix, that can kill a pocketbook.

Tim Garceau

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport Quad BSP
Engine
3.92 8 Speed 5.7 4X4
It’s estimated from a consumer standpoint on the sales because the 5.7 is/was an option/standard in Durango, Caravan, Magnum, Challenger, Charger, Proline, Ram 1/2/3500s, Cherokee, ???.

2015+ I’ve heard of 1 case so far. Many have to be above the 60k+ failure period by now.

OP
OP
H

Haas

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It’s estimated from a consumer standpoint on the sales because the 5.7 is/was an option/standard in Durango, Caravan, Magnum, Challenger, Charger, Proline, Ram 1/2/3500s, Cherokee, ???.

2015+ I’ve heard of 1 case so far. Many have to be above the 60k+ failure period by now.

If you find a forum where someone's talking about it happening to them, it's unnerving to see how many follow up with something like, "Well you can add me to the list too, mine went out at such and such miles." Some still in warranty, others not.

jester139

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Apparently, Hemi's are well known ( at least in the Rams) for breaking exhaust manifold bolt over time. I understand it's due to different metal expansion rates, but Chrysler/Fiat is not doing anything about it unless your vehicle is still under warranty. Once warranty is out, you're on your own.

Would this be a reason for someone to stay away from the Hemi's, if buying a slightly used Ram?
I'm shopping a little bit right now, and would love a Hemi, but don't want to have to keep paying for broken bolts, and the labor to remove and replace them.

Anyone know how costly it is to do?

I for one got about 55k before it happened. Does it suck that it is a known issue yes, but I am very happened it happened as I upgraded to long tube headers which I wish I had down 54k miles sooner.

I've had many brands and they ALL had issues, Chevy being my biggest pain. Great truck and and motor - good luck with your decision!

gts340

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
I have two Ram 1500s. The 2015 has 120K on it now, It had a bolt replaced under warranty. Now I hear another tick. I told the service writer that since it happened under warranty, it will always be under warranty. She agreed.

Dr. Righteous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Pretty strange how your truck with 90+ thousand miles finally breaks the bolts, where a friend of mine (mentioned in my earlier post) has a 2014 and @ 17K, broke the manifold bolts.

I have yet to ever break any though... and have owned several 5.7 hemi trucks since 2003... hmmmmm.... Hope i can keep the trend with no issues with my 18 sport

I've been around long enough to realize it isn't a big deal. It is a cold engine TICK noise and I barely notice it when I'm in the cab. I don't hear it at all when the engine is warm. Eventually it will get to be a annoying issue but not today.
As to why some of these show up at low mileage probably has to do with many factors. Cold weather might have something to do with. Driving the truck hard while the engine is still cold likely has much to do with it also. I know both the original owner and myself babied this RAM.
Heck, it was just the other day out of curiosity I turn off the traction control and stabbed the gas petal from a stop. It laid about 12' of rubber on the road from both wheels. That is the first time I ever "hot rodded" it.

Tim Garceau

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport Quad BSP
Engine
3.92 8 Speed 5.7 4X4
Driving the truck hard while the engine is still cold likely has much to do with it also. I know both the original owner and myself babied this RAM.

Bam, expansion rates of aluminum/steel/cast iron are dissimilar. This engine stock takes forever to get up to water/oil operating temps with the mechanical fan and 203 degree thermostat. In colder climates, it might not ever get there unless you’re heavy on the throttle/towing.

Wiggsy72

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I own four HEMI vehicles and none have this issue. Actually this post is the first time I’ve heard of it being a common issue.

Jdoc

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I have 14 ram sport 1500. Thia has happened 3 times o. Hemi
I bought max care when I bought new. Last time they pulled head and sent to machine shop to get bolt out. Here I am not even 2 months later with a slight startup tic now. Took back i and they didnt see any bolts broke by looking at manifold cover. They gonna have remove covers to see which side and how many.
So once they fix dont mean it wont come back. Now I have 129000 on mine and it's been done 3 times.
Doesn't cause any issues. Just that dammed 'ol hemi tick mostly on a cold start. It's more noticable as time goes without fixing too.
The problem I've found is with manifold itself. Once it heats up it is not tru from one end to another. With a straight edge on it rocks back n forth ever so slights. This is mfr. Design flaw. Not to mention the cast on aluminum.

txvet33

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
Apparently, Hemi's are well known ( at least in the Rams) for breaking exhaust manifold bolt over time. I understand it's due to different metal expansion rates, but Chrysler/Fiat is not doing anything about it unless your vehicle is still under warranty. Once warranty is out, you're on your own.

Would this be a reason for someone to stay away from the Hemi's, if buying a slightly used Ram?
I'm shopping a little bit right now, and would love a Hemi, but don't want to have to keep paying for broken bolts, and the labor to remove and replace them.

Mine broke at 51k miles. They are covered under OEM drive train warranty. I’ll never own anything but a RAM hemi. MAGA

Kyle388

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Bought a used 2015 Ram 1500 sport with over 100,000 on it. I have no issues. I currently have 133337 on it and still no problems. Just got to keep up on all your maintenance.

OP
OP
H

Haas

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Bought a used 2015 Ram 1500 sport with over 100,000 on it. I have no issues. I currently have 133337 on it and still no problems. Just got to keep up on all your maintenance.

Love to hear this. Keep it coming.

Lucy Girl

Military, Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 V6

If you stay because of that then I would suggest you don’t buy anything at all. Just my thoughts.

OP
OP
H

Haas

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If you stay because of that then I would suggest you don’t buy anything at all. Just my thoughts.

I did say later in this thread, that I'm less concerned about that, than I was when I started this thread. But, you're right.

Gregory Long

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 L Hemi

Gregory Long

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 L Hemi
My Rams all had exhaust manifold bolt problems beginning at 50 KM. Some bolts were broken. Rather than replace stock manifolds I installed JBA headers with stainless steel bolts . My 2010 had 150000 km on the system without any problems. I am in the process of doing the same on man 2018.