SILENCE!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I am STILL on the fence about this. A while ago I thought about it, but yeah my '17 is quiet enough (borderline as quiet as my Infiniti).

I removed the back seat to put my Katzkin leather on and am amazed (in a bad way) at how much noise there is now. Yes the bolt holes for the seats are now open to the outside, but its so much more than that. Obviously the bolts and seats were blocking most of it, but while everything is out I am seriously thinking about sound deadening it.

OP
OP
ErnieBoling

ErnieBoling

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Hehe. Here's the deal, if you get a chance to compare 2 identical vehicles, one with and the other with sound deadening, you will be amazed. Less driver fatigue, easier to hear spoken words at a conversational tone, even crappy radios sound better, thermal insulation. It's something you need to experience to really appreciate. Folks who jump in my truck are simply amazed. They get in thinking all they will hear is road hum from my 37s, a heavy exhaust note and yelling 30 inches from each other.

Bottom line, ANYTHING is better than factory deadening (or the lack thereof).

I have a 2014 2500, and my buddy has a 2014 1500. My with deadening, his without, so it is easy to do a side by side. There is no comparison.

OP
OP
ErnieBoling

ErnieBoling

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
I am STILL on the fence about this. A while ago I thought about it, but yeah my '17 is quiet enough (borderline as quiet as my Infiniti).

I removed the back seat to put my Katzkin leather on and am amazed (in a bad way) at how much noise there is now. Yes the bolt holes for the seats are now open to the outside, but its so much more than that. Obviously the bolts and seats were blocking most of it, but while everything is out I am seriously thinking about sound deadening it.

It's easy to do now; you have the rear end pulled out. Just pull off the back wall, pull out the rear 1/3 of carpet, peal back the middle third and tie it to the front seats to keep it out of the way, and go to town! Easy-peasy.

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
What are the filter looking things you added in place of the cabin vent flaps?

And in the first pic of the back wall after you started working on it, the lower half has black material on it...what is that material?

Thanks.

OP
OP
ErnieBoling

ErnieBoling

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
What are the filter looking things you added in place of the cabin vent flaps?

And in the first pic of the back wall after you started working on it, the lower half has black material on it...what is that material?

Thanks.

As I stated in my post, my truck was missing the cabin relief vents, so I went to Wal-Mart and got two $5 hepa filters to install temporarily until my OEM replacement parts came in.
The black material I covered the truck in is 2lb per sqft Mass Loaded Vinyl (MLV) sound deadener.
I hope I understood and answered your questions correctly. If not, yell back.

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I thought yours were missing the flaps not the whole thing :) And I thought you were leavin the filters in place permanently.

All the sound deadening in the world wont stop the noise coming through those vents, unfortunately.

As far as the black material, I thought it was the MLV but the caption of the pic made it sound like you hadnt started putting up the MLV yet.

What did you use to keep the MLV on the vertical? Just pressure and the tape between the seams? The floor looks simple (and the bolts from the seats should hold it all in place).

Which leads me to another question - when you reinstall the seats, do you have the "feet" on top of the MLV or did you cut out around where they land so they are firmly on the metal floorboard?

OP
OP
ErnieBoling

ErnieBoling

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
I thought yours were missing the flaps not the whole thing :) And I thought you were leavin the filters in place permanently.

All the sound deadening in the world wont stop the noise coming through those vents, unfortunately.

As far as the black material, I thought it was the MLV but the caption of the pic made it sound like you hadnt started putting up the MLV yet.

What did you use to keep the MLV on the vertical? Just pressure and the tape between the seams? The floor looks simple (and the bolts from the seats should hold it all in place).

Which leads me to another question - when you reinstall the seats, do you have the "feet" on top of the MLV or did you cut out around where they land so they are firmly on the metal floorboard?

I was missing just the flaps, but I knew I was going to replace the whole thing because you can't purchase the flaps separately, so I pulled the hollow frame out and installed the cheap filters. When the pieces came in I just swapped them out.

Once the deadener is in place, the flaps installed, the rear wall put back up, and the seats put back in, there is zero noise from the flaps that I can hear. I made my buddy drive the truck while I sat in the back seat, and it is so quiet it is almost spooky.

When I made my post, there was some kind of server issue, and my pics and captions got a little wonky.

I used tape and Jedi mind force to hold the MLV in place while I was placing and shaping.
It may have been strong rare earth magnets, but the Jedi thing sounds cooler. Once all was how I wanted it, I used copious amounts of tape to lock it in, popped the holes through my layers for the Christmas tree push pins that hold the back wall in place, then put it all together. It was a very snug fit. Snug enough that the push pins and the back wall itself keeps everything locked in tight and cozy.

When I re-installed the seats, I did the seven washer spacer rear seat mod. So I just cut around the bolt holes in a circle just barely big enough for the washers to fit in. Once I dropped the seats in, the frames for the seats laid over top of the layers and carpeting perfectly.

JColdIron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I wonder if I needed to add sound dampening material to my 2013 Bighorn up until I take a ride in the 98 XJ my wife uses as a daily driver... or our 2000 WJ. OR the Dakota I am about to get sell off after buying the Ram.

The Ram is the quietest of them all by a long shot! Maybe I am just not up on how quiet modern cars are expected to be...

OP
OP
ErnieBoling

ErnieBoling

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
I wonder if I needed to add sound dampening material to my 2013 Bighorn up until I take a ride in the 98 XJ my wife uses as a daily driver... or our 2000 WJ. OR the Dakota I am about to get sell off after buying the Ram.

The Ram is the quietest of them all by a long shot! Maybe I am just not up on how quiet modern cars are expected to be...

As many of us have stated here several times, our trucks are some of the quietest vehicles around. But when you ride in one that has been dampened, there is no comparison. To each their own though of course. I have time to kill and truck to tinker on, so I like to play.

To each their own. These are some very quiet trucks...until you ride in one that has been deadened. There is no comparison.

Last edited:

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Even though I have the back torn down for my seat install, Im going to hld off on this for now.

I want to buy the best stuff I can, within reason, so I will take some extra time to research. Noico is cheap, like someone else said, but not necessarily good I guess. Looking at KnoKnoise Kolossus for CLD, generic foam underlayment for CCF and Im not sure which MLV just yet.

Knocking around on the back wall and floor under the seats I can even hear something vibrate when I knock, so it could definitely use some deadening. Would be nice if, in the end, this helps lessen (or get rid of completely) the cell-phone-type vibration I feel in the floor during acceleration.

OP
OP
ErnieBoling

ErnieBoling

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
https://www.down4soundshop.com/fabrication-products/deadener/?sort=priceasc

Look at what I found. MurderMat. Good price and looks like some good stuff. Plus the guy who owns the store is good people. He answered some questions I had. Even took something off the shelf to measure it for me. Sent pics and all.

I will buy from a higher priced outlet for anything if I am treated well by the people that own/run it. Price is nice, but I appreciate people more. I will buy from this guy simply because of the way he treated you. Thank you for the tip.

sumgruuvz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I will buy from a higher priced outlet for anything if I am treated well by the people that own/run it. Price is nice, but I appreciate people more. I will buy from this guy simply because of the way he treated you. Thank you for the tip.
Yeah. He's a good guy. He has videos on youtube and he has an account on facebook all as down4sound if you want to follow him or check him out. Like I said, he's good people. His prices are about as competitive as you're going to find too. So that's a big plus and he carries good stuff. He doesn't carry junk.

slacadjuster

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
I love my truck, but it is a loud beast. I had went to an audio shop for a quote to sound deaden the truck. $2750 for the ultimate mat, $2300 for the basic. I have the money, and for the amount of labor and materials involved, I don't think that is an outrageous price. However, me being me, I just couldn't help but wonder what it would cost to do it myself. I researched the more popular products, and some of it was in the range of $3.50 a square foot. After reading the SDS and white papers on the materials, I started searching for like kind materials but under different names, locations, etc. Basically all of the materials used are butyl mastic tape with foil facing, foil tape, closed cell foam, spray adhesive and 1lb per sqft mass loaded vinyl (MLV). The hunt was on! Lowes and Wal-Mart had most everything I needed for a fraction of the price, but the MLV was a challenge. Then I realized we use the exact same thing to sound deaden piping system in the plants! A few quiet words here and there, the promise of a six pack, and I acquired a truck load of 2lb per sqft MLV. 128 sqft and twice the density of the name brand stuff for $12 bucks worth of beer.

Nice job. Although not sure how loud your truck must have been to warrant all that. My 2015 is as quiet and squeak and rattle free from the day I drove it off the lot

View attachment 154336

View attachment 154338

View attachment 154339

View attachment 154340

View attachment 154341

OP
OP
ErnieBoling

ErnieBoling

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Yeah. He's a good guy. He has videos on youtube and he has an account on facebook all as down4sound if you want to follow him or check him out. Like I said, he's good people. His prices are about as competitive as you're going to find too. So that's a big plus and he carries good stuff. He doesn't carry junk.

So it looks like the MurderMat ranges from $4sqft to $2sqft, depending on the size of the package you buy. Deff worth buddying up with someone close to you, get the biggest package for the steepest discount, then split it up.

sumgruuvz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
So it looks like the MurderMat ranges from $4sqft to $2sqft, depending on the size of the package you buy. Deff worth buddying up with someone close to you, get the biggest package for the steepest discount, then split it up.
Not a bad idea. But finding someone ready to pull the trigger when you are is going to be the kicker. Lol

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

OP
OP
ErnieBoling

ErnieBoling

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Not a bad idea. But finding someone ready to pull the trigger when you are is going to be the kicker. Lol

I may have an advantage over most people in that regard. My very best good friend has a 2014 Ram as well, so anything I do to mine gets done to his after we find out if it works on mine or not. The quietness of the rear of my cab has made him a believer in sound deadening, and he wants to get his done as well. I will use my home made/budget system on his floors like I did mine, then get him to split cost with me on this stuff for doors and roof.

sumgruuvz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I may have an advantage over most people in that regard. My very best good friend has a 2014 Ram as well, so anything I do to mine gets done to his after we find out if it works on mine or not. The quietness of the rear of my cab has made him a believer in sound deadening, and he wants to get his done as well. I will use my home made/budget system on his floors like I did mine, then get him to split cost with me on this stuff for doors and roof.
Sounds like you'll make out like a bandit. Good call. If you go with the murdermat, keeps us posted on if it's good or not. It looks top notch.

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I think MurderMat was in that big roundup of deadeners that was linked earlier.

There were a few different kinds, and I think the best Murdermat product is no longer made (I want to say its MurderMat MDK)

With that big roundup, SDS, Silent Coat and KnoKnoise Kolossus came out on the top 3. They are all about 4-something per sq ft, shipped. personally, I will probably go with Kolossus. Looking at SDS's website, it shows about 40 sq ft of CLD necessary for a '09 quad cab (close enough, I guess). Unless I can halve the price somehow, its 160 for Kolossus. Not exactly breaking the bank in the grand scheme of things.

sumgruuvz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I think MurderMat was in that big roundup of deadeners that was linked earlier.

There were a few different kinds, and I think the best Murdermat product is no longer made (I want to say its MurderMat MDK)

With that big roundup, SDS, Silent Coat and KnoKnoise Kolossus came out on the top 3. They are all about 4-something per sq ft, shipped. personally, I will probably go with Kolossus. Looking at SDS's website, it shows about 40 sq ft of CLD necessary for a '09 quad cab (close enough, I guess). Unless I can halve the price somehow, its 160 for Kolossus. Not exactly breaking the bank in the grand scheme of things.
Murdermat changed ownership. They couldn't find any to test. Crescendo audio owns it now. They make some good stuff. I like the fact that murdermat has ccf included in their sheets. Just means less money I'll have to spend on cld and ccf. Lol