Sirius? how does it work?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
D

Dodge trucker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
A few quick questions.

On the lower right corner by the AUX plug should be a three letter code, I'm guessing it is RES

How many of the fakra connectors on the back when you checked, one or two? Should be one white and one yellow

Do you get the preview channel at all, I think its 184?

When you added it on your daughter's account, did you double check the radio number? If I remember correctly, tune to channel zero to get the code from the radio.

I'm leaning towards a bad radio, If you are going to try a new radio, before you buy one, I actually have one out of my 2010 in the garage, if you want, I can ship it to you to test, if it works and you want to keep it, shoot me whatever you think it's worth to you. If you buy one off ebay, don't spend more than $40 - $50 on it, these things are a dime a dozen.

Dodge Trucker
in the lower right corner, there are 3 letters, it will start with R
RER, RBZ, REN, RHB, RES to name a few

which is yours ?

I liked the 2009 - 2012 dodge ram radios
i used to sit in my 2009 dodge ram 1500 with RER MYGIG Radio, insert the CD in the player & watch movies in stereo

It had the puck type roof antenna on the back of the roof
It had a fender antenna on the front right fender

I always listened to Sirius radio all the way across the US & up in Ontario Canada.

Watch this on how to activate Sirius Radio, with your radio

Don't know about any code, I'm sitting outside Meijer waiting for my wife to come out, and we took her Durango. Have to check for the code when I get home.
My daughter in law did something to the radio while following something she got up on her phone the night she said she activated it. I remember seeing that radio number come up.
a week later we were at their house and my son brought up something on his phone and tried whatever it said to do, that didn't work either. And I remember with both of them,. Their phones said to go to channel 1, but mine skips from 0 to 2.
I dunno about that preview channel. Have to check that out.
and on the puck antenna I saw that and based on what others have I thought that might be a dummy plug. I guess not then.
my radio has 2 of those funky plugs in the back, one either white or maybe yellow, I thought that the 2nd one was red? Don't remember now.
I did pull the headliner down and saw the same type and color wire going into that hockey puck as one of them at the back of the radio.

I Have been wondering about a problem in the radio itself for other reasons. Such as when on FM this thing has the worst range of any car radio I have had since the early 90s when I had that overpriced pile o'crap Optimus radio from radio shack. Now that one remains the most expensive radio I have ever had and even 30 years later remains the most expensive radio I ever bought as well.

i was thinking of hitting the junkyard and see if I could find a different radio at some point, I dunno how wide the interchange would be on these trucks. But I know that mine looks identical to one I saw at work in an 08 avenger.
but that one says "to subscribe call this number" where mine is stuck between 2 different messages mainly "UPDATING CHANNELS".

now if I swap radios do I need to go into my OBD2 port and "tell" the computer anything regarding the replacement radio for it to work?
all this electronic crap makes me more anxious to finish up my '85 D150. I love the simplicity of a 2 barrel carburetor and no freaking computer.

jawzs2, I appreciate your offer, where abouts might you be located? Anywhere near Chicago by chance? I'm about an hour south of that crap hole I'll PM you later.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
RES is how you identify that radio
The RES would be found on the face of the radio, in the right lower corner of the radio.
The RES radio that has a telephone symbol on it is actually the RESs, if i recall correctly

a video on the RES radio

OP
OP
D

Dodge trucker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
am I stuck finding a replacement with the same RES code?
I did look around Ebay and saw a few listings for a "Sirius reciever" that looks like it is a seperate component from the radio itself, looks like it has the same goofy connectors as on the back of the radio/ maybe 1 "in" and 1 "out? Is the receiver part of the radio or a separate component?

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
If you want to stay with the MYGIG Series of Radios
There are several to choose from, but you must make sure that the replacement radio has to be a HIGH speed Mygig radio
They have Low speed mygig radios too, they were used in the Chrysler cars & the low priced Jeeps
The Low Speed MYGIG Radios with not work in a RAM

I am going to direct you to a site that has MYGIG radios that would be an upgrade from yours
I would think twice before using them, but you can buy the same radios on Ebay etc.

also you can go to the CRUTCHFIELD website
Insert your vehicle description & it will show you 100s of radios that people have used in their 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012 Rams

jawzs2

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010, 2014
Engine
1500, 3500
am I stuck finding a replacement with the same RES code?
I did look around Ebay and saw a few listings for a "Sirius reciever" that looks like it is a seperate component from the radio itself, looks like it has the same goofy connectors as on the back of the radio/ maybe 1 "in" and 1 "out? Is the receiver part of the radio or a separate component?

The receiver is part of the radio, not a separate component in our trucks

OP
OP
D

Dodge trucker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ok thanks, some of the contraptions I saw pictured looked like a seperate component. Didn't see any control panel on them.
I saw a bunch of different radios, all factory dodge/jeep, from different years and models, I have no idea what others may interchange "plug n play" style, this truck is the newest vehicle I have ever owned by far. (11 years newer than our Durango and the xj Cherokee that we had before the Durango)
And many said something about a trip to the dealer so they can activate a particular Radio to a particular vehicle.
I'm mid 50s, old school, not very "techno" yet have worked on cars and trucks my whole life about since I could walk...

Jawzs2 you have a pm coming