SiriusXM Quality is Horrible

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LugsLeadOut84

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Terrestrial radio is nothing but commercials. Almost 30 minutes per hour - it's mind-numbing. And I hate them talking over the songs...
Although, SXM is getting too expensive unless you're in your car or at a desk all day. I can't be bothered calling up every few months to threaten to cancel looking for deals.

In addition - and let's not turn this into whether you like him or not, but my opinion as to "how the hell they stay in business".....I think Howard Stern accounts for a large percentage of subscribers. Unbiased sources estimate he carries about a third of the SXM subscriber base (roughly 10 million out of the 34 million). That's why they give him ridiculous money. When he goes, I think they will have a substantial drop.

Doug Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Eco Diesel _3.0
Terrestrial radio is nothing but commercials. Almost 30 minutes per hour - it's mind-numbing. And I hate them talking over the songs...
Although, SXM is getting too expensive unless you're in your car or at a desk all day. I can't be bothered calling up every few months to threaten to cancel looking for deals.

In addition - and let's not turn this into whether you like him or not, but my opinion as to "how the hell they stay in business".....I think Howard Stern accounts for a large percentage of subscribers. Unbiased sources estimate he carries about a third of the SXM subscriber base (roughly 10 million out of the 34 million). That's why they give him ridiculous money. When he goes, I think they will have a substantial drop.
I have made it a point to choose a NO HOWARD plan. And its cheaper.

jolo170

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It has been years since I had a SiriusXM subscription but I recently signed up for 3 month trial that was offered for free with no credit card requirement. I was appalled at how bad the tonal quality had degraded and I was wondering if anyone else had noticed this as I have become so accustomed high quality music through streaming to my radio through my iphone. How the hell do they stay in business?
You are 100 correct. FM has better quality.

n-humble

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It has been years since I had a SiriusXM subscription but I recently signed up for 3 month trial that was offered for free with no credit card requirement. I was appalled at how bad the tonal quality had degraded and I was wondering if anyone else had noticed this as I have become so accustomed high quality music through streaming to my radio through my iphone. How the hell do they stay in business?
SiriusXM delivered via satellite has always sucked. Do a comparison using the SiriusXM app on your phone. The Internet stream sounds much better than the satellite signal.

BigFrog

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi

Howard Stern left years ago.

Mohican69

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar
I didn't notice how ****** it was until one day I was digging through the garage and found my old ipod. Since it's full of music I decided to just throw it in the truck for the hell of it. Well I connected it the other day when I was leaving work and nearly blew out my front speakers! That's how much better it was than the crappy signal I get from XM. I had replaced my front speakers about a year ago because one stopped working and I've never really been thrilled with them. Once the music started playing with my iPod as the source I couldn't believe how great they sounded. I'm ordering 2 more from crutchfields to replace the rears. The only benefit of XM is the variety. But if you listen long enough to the same channels you eventually just hear the same music on there too.

SRT Racing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Sound quality in my 2019 Ram is excellent. Only droped signals are under bridges and in some spots going through of the mountains which is just for a short period of time. My location is New England. I always call before my subscription expires and get it for $12 change for the year.

farout75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 L
MY 17 RAM 1500 has the Alpine audio system. WE enjoy it a lot. The sound is the best I have heard over the standard radio systems. Could be your speakers, or just the less expensive radio.

Jerrybob

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
We love Sirius radio.....good quality....lots of variety.....have traveled all over the Western part of the country.....can lose service in moutains or forrests but otherwise.....great. We renew every year with their cheap package......it's like $6 bucks a month.....most folks pay more for a cup of coffee.....we make our own coffee so we can afford Sirius.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
We love Sirius radio.....good quality....lots of variety.....have traveled all over the Western part of the country.....can lose service in moutains or forrests but otherwise.....great. We renew every year with their cheap package......it's like $6 bucks a month.....most folks pay more for a cup of coffee.....we make our own coffee so we can afford Sirius.
I always cancel my Sirius end of July, they then continue to offer me packages that I decline, decline, decline, till they offer me the Top Tier All Access for $125.00 and found, then I renew. Otherwise, PPL that do auto renew are being foolish, as on Auto Renew, Sirius charges $27.00 a month for the same thing U can get for 1/3rd the price, if U R persistent. I can live w/o it, but like the accessibility for some Major League offerings.,. Hard to watch, listen to NY teams in TX unless on something like Sirius.

turkeybird56

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
MY 17 RAM 1500 has the Alpine audio system. WE enjoy it a lot. The sound is the best I have heard over the standard radio systems. Could be your speakers, or just the less expensive radio.
I just have the base system, but sufficient because I have lost like 50% of my hearing from Flightline noise (ie., Jet engines) ne way, lol. I may look into upgrading my rear door speakers, but since I am the only one in the truck and my dogs do not care, well you know, LOL.

Jerrybob

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I always cancel my Sirius end of July, they then continue to offer me packages that I decline, decline, decline, till they offer me the Top Tier All Access for $125.00 and found, then I renew. Otherwise, PPL that do auto renew are being foolish, as on Auto Renew, Sirius charges $27.00 a month for the same thing U can get for 1/3rd the price, if U R persistent. I can live w/o it, but like the accessibility for some Major League offerings.,. Hard to watch, listen to NY teams in TX unless on something like Sirius.
When my Sirius comes due....they send me a notice of increased prices....I call them tell them they can keep their service unless I get the $6 deal.....it has worked now for a few years.

Jerrybob

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I just have the base system, but sufficient because I have lost like 50% of my hearing from Flightline noise (ie., Jet engines) ne way, lol. I may look into upgrading my rear door speakers, but since I am the only one in the truck and my dogs do not care, well you know, LOL.
What? LOL!

Jav_eee

Reaction score
Ram Year
None
Engine
None
Just get the streaming subscription and use your phone to listen via Bluetooth. Audio quality is MUCH better and no worry about going under a bridge.

RRRoger

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 L Cummings Diesel
Sound quality same as my FM radio stations without adds
Solved signal loss by using splitter and two antenna

16WhiteQC

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Dumped it last year and just stream Pandora, drastically better sound quility over Sat. radio using the trucks receiver.

turkeybird56

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
JUST yesterday redid my yearly for Sirius, Commercial Radio here almost non-existent. They went up a lil. I got the Platinum yearly access for $132.49. Up $6.00 from last year. Works for me and my minor uses. I would neva pay full ne thing for Sirius. Normally, the service I got is $27.00 and change a month.

I even stream Sirius, or Pandora or whatever I can get in on my phone, and attach to BT reader on MC and play on MC using phone and MC speakers, works for dis BOIRD. I have an I Phone 11 and I installed a 12V USB power source for phone and a BT reader to stream off of phone so I can do all I want on MC rides.

wgreggking

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 4x4 offroad
Engine
I have a 2010 Ram and got Sirius XM really cheap due to the age of the radio. I get better quality using the XM app on my phone connected to the aux jack. Give it a try.
My 17 offroad 2500 Sirius XM sounds great. No aux input, in mine :wtf2:

turkeybird56

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My 17 offroad 2500 Sirius XM sounds great. No aux input, in mine :wtf2:
You don't have any USB connections under Center Stack? They R connected to media system.

SeaRefractor

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

I tried again when traveling to locations that have such poor cellular service I couldn't stream. It's pretty bad, SirusXM, that I quickly canceled again.
As to how they stay in business, most don't care how audio sounds. Look how many don't have stereo's at home and listen to music on their mono Amazon echo? As long as it's "static" free, that's fidelity for many.

Just get the streaming subscription and use your phone to listen via Bluetooth. Audio quality is MUCH better and no worry about going under a bridge.

This fails for long drives along many coastal locations in Washington, Oregon and California. Not even LTE let alone 5G. I have to pre-download my music libraries to my smartphone to stream to have music for long stretches.
Sat radio would have filled this gap, if it wasn't such a disappointment in quality for the price.