Slight shudder/vibration at idle

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nick444444

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2018 ram 1500 sport edition
My truck is in great shape - I do notice a very slight shudder/shimmy kinda vibration only when sitting in my car when at idle in park - most people only notice it when I point it out or they wouldn’t feel it - first time truck owner and I was wondering if that could b normal due to hemi engine - it’s a slight vibration that occurs every 30 seconds or so - anyone else notice same thing and think it’s normal ? Thanks

indept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
My truck is in great shape - I do notice a very slight shudder/shimmy kinda vibration only when sitting in my car when at idle in park - most people only notice it when I point it out or they wouldn’t feel it - first time truck owner and I was wondering if that could b normal due to hemi engine - it’s a slight vibration that occurs every 30 seconds or so - anyone else notice same thing and think it’s normal ? Thanks
That doesn't sound normal. Mine idle smooth a silk. If you're out of the 3/36 warranty you should still be covered by the 5/60 power train warranty, so grab a cold one & have a great Memorial Day and call the dealer on Tuesday and let them figure it out.
:cheers:

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Look inside the throttle body for deposits, esp under the throttle plate. Even minor depositing can cause a stumble at idle. Clean with carb cleaner and a solvent-safe plastic brush (not metal). Give it time for the carb cleaner to evaporate before starting.

Other ideas: clogged or not-seating PCV valve. Clogged IAC valve. Bad coil (less likely) or cracked spark plug.

Start with the throttle cleaning. Cheap and easy. It doesn't take much to throw off the idle.

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If what you are describing is what I think it is, mine does the same thing - feels like an ever so slight miss.
I tend to notice it in most cars.

rowemesp

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Big Horn, Crew Cab, 4WD
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I just posted about the same thing (Engine performance sub-forum) happening with my 2017 Hemi. . .that rough idle went on for weeks until today it got much worse and started throwing codes / check engine light (P0307 and P0300). Dealer appointment has been made, but sadly they're backlogged for weeks. My suggestion is that you get it checked before it starts throwing codes and lights at an inconvenient time---I wish I had.

OP
OP
N

Nick444444

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I just posted about the same thing (Engine performance sub-forum) happening with my 2017 Hemi. . .that rough idle went on for weeks until today it got much worse and started throwing codes / check engine light (P0307 and P0300). Dealer appointment has been made, but sadly they're backlogged for weeks. My suggestion is that you get it checked before it starts throwing codes and lights at an inconvenient time---I wish I had.

thank u - my idle isn’t rough tho - I watch the rpm and it doesn’t move or feel rough - it’s just a ever so slight vibration throughout the truck when in idle and park - almost like a quick shiver - but please keep me posted if u can - eventually I’m going to get it looked at too

rowemesp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Mine started exactly like you're describing-- like every few minutes I could feel a slight shake (when idling and paying attention) that only lasted a fraction of a second, them would be normal again. That's what caused me to believe it was a dirty fuel system initially. Yesterday it went bad quick!

Sent from my KB2007 using Tapatalk

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
HEMI 5.7 Revolution 4.88s
thank u - my idle isn’t rough tho - I watch the rpm and it doesn’t move or feel rough - it’s just a ever so slight vibration throughout the truck when in idle and park - almost like a quick shiver - but please keep me posted if u can - eventually I’m going to get it looked at too

Is your a/c on when this happens .... I get vibrations like that when the a/c clutch kicks in on my corolla and my truck ...if the a/c is off I don't feel it at all .....

OP
OP
N

Nick444444

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Mine started exactly like you're describing-- like every few minutes I could feel a slight shake (when idling and paying attention) that only lasted a fraction of a second, them would be normal again. That's what caused me to believe it was a dirty fuel system initially. Yesterday it went bad quick!

Sent from my KB2007 using Tapatalk

wow ok - I hope it gets resolved for u - I’m going to make an appt as well

OP
OP
N

Nick444444

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Is your a/c on when this happens .... I get vibrations like that when the a/c clutch kicks in on my corolla and my truck ...if the a/c is off I don't feel it at all .....
No it’s not on - pretty much happens with it off - it’s like a quick shiver in the car - hoping it’s normal lol

OP
OP
N

Nick444444

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If what you are describing is what I think it is, mine does the same thing - feels like an ever so slight miss.
I tend to notice it in most cars.
That’s a good way of putting it - feels like a slight miss but normalizes right after - hoping it’s normal and I’m just not used to having a truck perhaps

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I would consider pretty normal, I feel it in the vast majority of autos unless they are really dampened.

rowemesp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
The shop called yesterday and are replacing the O2 sensor to see if that fixes my issue--supposed to hear from them today if it fixed it or not. I think they're ruling out the easy stuff first. Stay tuned.

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The shop called yesterday and are replacing the O2 sensor to see if that fixes my issue--supposed to hear from them today if it fixed it or not. I think they're ruling out the easy stuff first. Stay tuned.
Replacing the 02 sensor definitely isn't what I would start with if you have the P300 code which is multiple random misfire and the P307 code which is a misfire on cylinder 7. I would do a compression test to make sure your not having the dreaded cam and lifter issue which in your case I think is unlikely because you haven't been hearing any excessive valve train noise but it's always good to check compression first before you get to deep into figuring it out. If the compression is good I would be looking more towards bad plugs on #7 or coils or injectors first. It's easy to move the coil pack from one cinder to another to see if the miss follows it. You can also do the same thing with injectors. A small vacume leak as well as a few other issues can cause your codes but I would start with the basics and go from there. the 02 sensor is bad they usually throw codes other than the ones you have. In any case good luck. Hopefully they will get it figured out.

Sent from my SM-G981U1 using Tapatalk

Big Daddy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have had the same thing but mine only occurs when I am at a redlight in drive. The idle sits about 550/600 and I get like a rumble. Been going on for years, never throws a code so becasue of its age I just take it as if "my baby got a little gas" (that's the nutty professor for you young'ns. Youtube, eddie muphy colon cleansing if you want a good laugh).

OP
OP
N

Nick444444

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have had the same thing but mine only occurs when I am at a redlight in drive. The idle sits about 550/600 and I get like a rumble. Been going on for years, never throws a code so becasue of its age I just take it as if "my baby got a little gas" (that's the nutty professor for you young'ns. Youtube, eddie muphy colon cleansing if you want a good laugh).
Lol - that’s kinda what my truck does - sounds good thanks

rowemesp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
UPDATE: It was the cylinder 7 fuel injector. It was replaced and the truck runs great now. The mechanic also said the O2 sensor was toast--likely because of an overly rich mixture dumping unburnt fuel into the exhaust.

rowemesp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
FWIW. . . I contacted RamCares to see if they'd help with the repair bill, as the truck only has 22,000 miles on it (out of warranty time-wise). To my surprise, they paid for the repair except for $100--I already have the check in hand. I am impressed with their customer service.

HobbyBuntley

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Nick did you ever get an answer as to what was causing yours? My 06 just started doing the same exact thing