Spark Plug change 103217 miles

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rwreuter

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Below is a picture of my old spark plugs for my 2011 Ram 1500 Quad Cab with 5.7 Hemi. I replaced with the factory nickel ones since I was told I can't do the iridium's.

I am the second owner, so I don't know if these are original or not, I do know the previous owner took it to the dealer for everything.

BTW....that swivel spark plug tool is Da'Bomb! I couldn't have done this job without it.

37jlECD.jpg

Fitz-0518

Veteran 66-68
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500. 2018 1500
Engine
6.4 3.6
RW,,,you go to tell us LOL What is the run difference with the right plugs???

OP
OP
rwreuter

rwreuter

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
RW,,,you go to tell us LOL What is the run difference with the right plugs???

If I'm not mistaken, I read on this site, somewhere that you shouldn't use the iridium's on either 2013 or 2014 or below years. Something to do with the coil packs. I don't remember, I'm sure someone that knows can chime in.

Sorry if I left anyone hanging.

Fitz-0518

Veteran 66-68
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500. 2018 1500
Engine
6.4 3.6
If I'm not mistaken, I read on this site, somewhere that you shouldn't use the iridium's on either 2013 or 2014 or below years. Something to do with the coil packs. I don't remember, I'm sure someone that knows can chime in.

Just interested in how it is running after changing the plugs.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
They look pretty good, I have seen much worse in a hemi. Do you use good gas? Yeah you need to use the 30k mile plugs pre 2014 I think. Mopar nickle ones.

Wahrsuul

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've read conflicting reports lately. Most posts on here say that the pre 13 uses copper plugs, and that those that tried the iridium's (or others) got codes or rough running. However, Rock Auto now says that FCA recommends the newer iridium's as the stock plug. Does this extend the service interval on older models? Will it throw codes or cause running issues? Haven't heard of anyone doing it yet....

daveray9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Did you need any other extensions or just the swivel attachment. Im about to attepmt this next weekend.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

OP
OP
rwreuter

rwreuter

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
They look pretty good, I have seen much worse in a hemi. Do you use good gas? Yeah you need to use the 30k mile plugs pre 2014 I think. Mopar nickle ones.

I always stick to brand name gas, mostly 89 unless I need gas and 87 is all I can get....I sometimes put non ethanol on it.

OP
OP
rwreuter

rwreuter

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Did you need any other extensions or just the swivel attachment. Im about to attepmt this next weekend.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

The used that swivel on every one and i believe I only needed a 3" extension for drivers side most forward plug.

All in all, it wasn't as bad as I expected......watched a YouTube video....

The worst part was laying on the engine, my ribs are sore.

dakotakid846

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Any problem with any of them getting stuck or difficult to remove??

This project is on my to do list before the cold sets in....I know time is fading fast here in NJ.

NGK coppers are bought and sitting in the box in the garage...smh.

102k on what I believe are the originals, unless they were changed in the first 30k miles before I got the truck. Either way their long overdue!

K-Dawg

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI

My recollection on switching from Copper or Nickel tipped plugs to Iridium had exclusively to do with the coil packs. I'm assuming they may be different for plugs that require less current.

My '13 Challenger came with Copper NGKs in the HEMI. However, since the coil packs were the exact same part number on the '13 as on the '15+ Challenger (which came with Iridium), I correctly deduced that I could switch to Iridium without changing the coil packs. I did, and it worked fine. Engine ran better than new and even picked up a few MPGs.

The iridium tip is very hard and brittle. The NGKs came (pre-gapped), but I gently verified each one with a feeler gauge. If you slide your iridium plugs on one of those 1/2 dollar sized ramped gap tools, you'll snap the tip, sure as SH_T.