Speaker Upgrade with amp suggestions?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Danny Smith

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Looking to upgrade the speakers in my 2016 Ram 1500 SLT and add an amp to them to get some better sound. Already have a set of subs under the back seat and need a little help from the speakers to even out the sound. Any speakers and amp suggestions that work and sound good?

Matts175

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I can help you with one part....

These sound 1000x better than the factory ones. I just put a set of these in last Friday. With just those 2 and no amp, my stereo sounds way clearer and less muffled.

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_206CSC354/Kicker-43CSC354.html

Be sure to add a 4 ohm resistor though, as the factory ones are 8 ohm and the speakers I linked to are 4 ohm. If you don't, they will over power everything else.

How to: https://www.ramforum.com/threads/how-to-4-ohm-resistor-upgrade-for-aftermarket-dash-speakers.125742/

If it would ever warm up outside, I could change the 4 door speakers too. Don't want to crack anything in the cold.

WilliamS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Door 6x9s are plenty stout for basic speakers on midrange duty, get good/great 3.5s in the dash and add the 4ohm resistor to keep the system balanced (as all things should be).

Subwoofers I have 2 Alpine 12's in a ported box running 1500 watts, throwing down the pain when my baby isnt in there with me. The door speakers blend amazingly without an amp. Not everyone needs that kind of power, but I do!

TomT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Looking to upgrade the speakers in my 2016 Ram 1500 SLT and add an amp to them to get some better sound. Already have a set of subs under the back seat and need a little help from the speakers to even out the sound. Any speakers and amp suggestions that work and sound good?

What did you use to get the signal for your sub amp? If you already have a multi-channel LOC then it makes it much easier to recommend items.

TomT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have an AudioControl LC2i for two channel output for my subs

Cool, so you're already familiar with tapping into the factory wiring to get signal. Are you just looking to do a simple amp plus six speakers upgrade or are you wanting to add DSP control and components, etc.?

OP
OP
Danny Smith

Danny Smith

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Cool, so you're already familiar with tapping into the factory wiring to get signal. Are you just looking to do a simple amp plus six speakers upgrade or are you wanting to add DSP control and components, etc.?
I just want to replace the current speakers and add an amp to them not add anything

TomT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I just want to replace the current speakers and add an amp to them not add anything

In that case, the Kickers mentioned above are a nice option. You have six speakers total (the front two are wired together on each side). Sometimes putting both the door and dash on a singe amp channel can make the dash speakers way too loud compared to the doors. You can offset that using resistors somewhat and play with the load on each speaker.

Another way, which I like better, is to use a six channel amp and run new wires to each speaker. That way you can use the gain controls in the amp to balance the output. Even better, it makes it very easy to decide to add a small DSP and get full control over everything.

As far as speaker brands, I am a huge fan of Audiofrog. Of course, they come in at a higher price point than the usual Kicker, Alpine, Infinity stuff. Do you have a budget in mind for everything?

OP
OP
Danny Smith

Danny Smith

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
No budget on this but of course U don’t wanna spend the most on it you know?

TomT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
No budget on this but of course U don’t wanna spend the most on it you know?

I definitely get it. I’m one of those idiots who like the higher end stuff so I try to be careful before recommending $3,000 worth of gear to someone who is just looking to spend a few hundred.