Spintech 9000XL

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gdawg55

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hi all. Just had a Spintech Super Pro Street 9000XL put on my Ram 1500 CC over lunch today. Sounds great so far. It replaces a Borla Pro XS which I really liked, but wanted just a bit more sound. This is my 3rd muffler swap. First was Magnaflow 14", then Borla Pro XS, and now the 9000XL. Only drove about 10 mins back to work, so haven't had a lot of time with the new set up yet but like what I hear.

I will say the tone is deep like the Borla and maybe a little louder, but not as much difference as I thought there would be....heck the muffler is only 9" long vs 19" of the Borla. Loudness may be similar to the 14" MF, but it's been a while since I had that on my truck. Ron at Spintech told me since it's an XL model that it would be closer to the 6000 than 9000 on the loudness scale. Tone sounds good though. I went with the 9000XL due to the fact that the dual out spacing is farther apart for easier installation and hoping that the wider body would tone down the loudness just a bit over the regular 9000 muffler.

I know everyone always wants to know about drone. I can say the Spintech does have a little bit of drone in the 1600-1800 rpm range (I have a 5.7 with 3.92 gearing). It's not terrible, but more noticeable than the Borla and not as bad as the Magnaflow. I will pay more attention to this as I put more miles on during the week. I will also try to put up a short video in a couple of days comparing my Borla to the Spintech for those that are interested....just need to figure out how to post a video.

chrisp2493

Always Modding
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
I went the opposite way, I had the spintech pro-street 9000 and went to the Pro-Xs. It’s sounded awesome at idle but it was really aggressive on acceleration. I had longtubes and no cats though, so it was super raspy and popped on acceleration. Now with the Borla it’s too quiet at idle but it’s nice cruising with no drone. I might go with a carven for my next choice. Anyways about the video, you have to post it to YouTube and then link it here

I Bleed Ram Trucks

OP
OP
gdawg55

gdawg55

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I went the opposite way, I had the spintech pro-street 9000 and went to the Pro-Xs. It’s sounded awesome at idle but it was really aggressive on acceleration. I had longtubes and no cats though, so it was super raspy and popped on acceleration. Now with the Borla it’s too quiet at idle but it’s nice cruising with no drone. I might go with a carven for my next choice. Anyways about the video, you have to post it to YouTube and then link it here

I Bleed Ram Trucks

Well with my stock set up the 9000XL definitely doesn't sound raspy or have any popping. I don't blame you for switching, I wouldn't like that sound at all. The Pro XS is a very nice sounding muffler. If it had been a bit louder I would have left it on.

Thanks for the tip on posting a video. Working on it.

Last edited:
OP
OP
gdawg55

gdawg55

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Follow up on the Spintech 9000XL after a couple of days of driving around. It's definitely louder than the Borla it replaced, both at idle and normal driving. I do think under hard acceleration the Borla may be a tad louder, at least in the cabin, not sure outside. I really do like the sound of the Spintech. It's similar to the Borla, but more aggressive/open sounding (if that makes sense). Cold starts in the morning are louder for sure.

Drone is not bad at all. The Borla had a slight resonance at 1800 rpm, but barley noticeable. The 9000XL has a little more drone at 1800 rpm, but not terrible. That is the only rpm that I can detect any drone. Luckily I don't spend much time in that area....usually get there while accelerating or when the gearing drops going up a hill. Otherwise, the only sound I hear is the exhaust note....very pleasing. Highway cruising is quiet and doesn't sound much different than the Borla. Cabin noise in general is low unless getting on the gas.

Overall, I like the Spintech. Tone and loudness is just about right for me. It does seem that low end torque may have been affected a little. The truck is not sluggish, but doesn't feel as strong as it did taking off from a stop. Maybe it's my imagination....or the different sound playing mind games. Not sure if going to a chambered style muffler would reduce low end power or not, but it seems different.

OP
OP
gdawg55

gdawg55

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Okay, after a week or so with the new 9000XL, I think it's slightly too loud. The drone around 1800 rpm, though not crazy, is annoying enough to irritate me. The sound is definitely aggressive. Now that the weather has cooled down some, I'm able to drive around with the windows open...man I can really hear the Spintech. I have come to learn that I don't like the chambered muffler sound as much as the straight thru.

I plan to change out to a Black Widow Venom 250 next week....hoping for a little lower volume and no drone. If I end up not liking the Venon, the Borla is going back on and the exhaust adventure ends.

bfill_rebel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If you like borla and want a little bit louder have you considered the XR1 by borla? Need to get a y pipe on one end of it as it’s single in and single out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
gdawg55

gdawg55

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If you like borla and want a little bit louder have you considered the XR1 by borla? Need to get a y pipe on one end of it as it’s single in and single out

I have not....thanks for the reminder. That one had slipped my mind. If the Venom doesn't cut the mustard, then maybe I'll try the XR1 before putting the Pro XS back on.

Do you have the XR1?

bfill_rebel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
No. It was my choice before I decided to go Carven progressive. At the end of the day I liked the idea of starting with a bolt on kit. I have 2 young kids under 3 and with the truck being my daily driver louder isn’t better in my situation (but I do like loud exhausts). On my last truck I went through like 3 mufflers including back to stock and paying for welding at shops got old. So I figured start with bolt on driveway kit then go borla xr1 if unhappy.

That said I have a friend with a Chevy Silverado and the xr1 on his truck sounds great. I know not apples to apples but my brother in law has the Pro XS on his ram 1500 and the xr1 has a little more volume and “scream” to it when WOT

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk