Squeaky noise front end

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

johnnyjb

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum 5.2
Ive got an annoying squeaky noise coming from my hood. No not ball joints i just got em all replaced. Its been there for a while now its getting worse, i can hear it over my exhaust inside my cab and outside.
It could be one of the pumps? how would i check, maybe my timing belt?

SmokedRam

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Could be the seal on the input shaft of the water pump...hard to say without hearing it. Can you post a video or sound clip of it?

Okiespaniel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum, 5.9
Ive got an annoying squeaky noise coming from my hood. No not ball joints i just got em all replaced. Its been there for a while now its getting worse, i can hear it over my exhaust inside my cab and outside.
It could be one of the pumps? how would i check, maybe my timing belt?

Your v-8 has a timing chain so it's not likely to be be the issue. Could be any of your pulleys on your acessory belt.
I usually try listening with a mechanics stethescope or piece of heater hose to the ear trick if I can get the hose in there.
Or you can take your belt off and rotate each pulley and pump and feel for a rough spot. Grab the fan blade and wiggle it and see if you have play in the water pump.

OP
OP
johnnyjb

johnnyjb

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum 5.2
i will do all that in a bit, how do i check the water pump thats about the only thing i havent discovered under the hood

Okiespaniel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum, 5.9
It's attached to your fan. BTW I had my pump go out...squealed like a pig but the belt kept the fan from wobbling...untill I removed the belt. Then you could wiggle the shaft.

OP
OP
johnnyjb

johnnyjb

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum 5.2
well now i see a coolant leak. Well two but maybe one. One looks like its coming from my oil pan in the very back near the tranny. Now i say looks cause im not very good at finding leaks. The prolem is that i spilt some coolant when filling the tank so i dont know if it travels around.
The sound comes and goes also.
There looks to be coolant dripping from that spot and right under my lowest pully when i shut the truck off

Okiespaniel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum, 5.9
Well the front leak be the weep hole on your water pump unless you spilled antifreeze on the front of the motor.
The rear of the block could be your rear freeze plug(s). Or it could be a side plug leaking and running down the oil pan rail to the rear. Or it could be coolant from your water pump doing the same thing.
You'll have to clean things up and start checking while the engine is warm.

Last edited:
OP
OP
johnnyjb

johnnyjb

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum 5.2
so i took it in, yeah it was the water pump.
decided to do it my self. got the water pump off tonight (fan clutch was a ******* *****!), left it like that, now to peal off the old gasket and get the hoses out of the old and on with the new tommorrow!

Okiespaniel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum, 5.9
Glad you found it...and thanks for posting the results. It helps future posters in diagnosing issues like yours!

OP
OP
johnnyjb

johnnyjb

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum 5.2
just another update, the second leak was from the lower engine block cap, yeah thats gonna have to wait till next week