Sry Ram suspension sucks for towing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

lAWROSA

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Leaf springs rule. My silverado towed my 30 ft and 24 ft camper just fine. Like true and straight like on railroad tracks. No tail end wobble at all.

Towing this little camper if frightning.

The ass end on this 2020 ram is all over the place. Left, right, up, down, pull , tug, push. So uncomfortable.

yes same set up, same WD hitch, all set up same way.

I have sumo springs. I cant imaging what for the truck would do without them. I have the blue. Maybe I need the yellow?

I just ordered a helliwig sway bar. I think this is most of the issue as they are hollow from what I was told. I will try the middle link when it comes in. I will let you know.

Im not doing air bags. It has nothing to do with the squat.

Just an opinion. Take it how ya want it..

Mike

Loudram

Just a sinner saved by grace
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
What type of hitch are you using? What's your loaded tongue weight?

Make sure your wd hitch is properly set up to your current truck when the trailer is loaded for camping. Mine isn't that bad and my trailer is 30' and about 7k lbs. I did upgrade my springs to Tuftruck 1211 springs. If your trailer is pushing you, check your trailer brakes and brake controller settings. No doubt leafs are stiffer but that also may hide an incorrect set up. These trucks tow just fine with the proper set up.

When I bought my latest trailer a service guy at the dealership tried telling me to set up my trailer noise high. I was using an Equalizer hitch at the time and I knew better then to put it nose high. He was suppose to be their set up guy. Some people honestly don't understand how to set up wd hitches even at the dealerships. I use a Weigh Safe True Tow hitch now. That's a pricey but great hitch.

Last edited:

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Adding to above, get your truck fully loaded weight with hitch, people, gear, etc and see where you are in relation to GVWR. And exactly as above, get your hitch weight then do calculations for GCWR with fully loaded trailer. No two trucks are the same and it is possible you're not set up right. Sounds like you have too much weight behind your trailer axle.

OC455

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018, 2019
Engine
5.7 Hemi Big Horn, 6.4L Hemi 3500 Longhorn Mega cab

Loudram

Just a sinner saved by grace
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
For the most part I love it. I'm being nit picky but the powder coating wears off much easier than the finish on my old Equalizer on the L brackets and tension bars. It just means that I'll have to clean them up and paint them more often. Other than that the hitch is great.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Towing this little camper if frightning.

The ass end on this 2020 ram is all over the place. Left, right, up, down, pull , tug, push. So uncomfortable.

yes same set up, same WD hitch, all set up same way.
Sounds like the WDH is not at up correctly for the weight, the rear of the truck is probably light. Roll the fully loaded truck/trailer over the CAT scales, then drop the trailer and weigh just the truck. That will give you all the axle weight numbers you need to see where he weight is at. You want 10%-12% tongue weight, replace the truck front axle weight loss and the truck rear axle heavier than the fronts.

Kidster

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 V8 HEMI
Hey,

Just installed a Helwig sway bar, huge difference when towing. I have an Equilizer 10K 4 way weight distribution hitch. I am towing a 28 ft Winnebago Voyage (8k or so). It was scarey at 57 mph anytime someone with a large vehicle passed me, let alone a tractor trailer. I just finished a trip, towed 2 hrs on factory Sway bar down, same back with the Helwig installed… Night and day, hardly any sway at 60 mph with trucks passing me…loved it…

Helwig felt like it weighed 3-4 times the weight of the factory installed rear sway bar.

I also installed a set of hard rubber Timbren bumpers to aid the saggy rear.

I am still considering a set of Rhino springs, and adding a set of Rancho shocks to totally smooth out the ride.

Not a fan of airbags…

Thoughts?

Thank you

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I think airbags would be a better option than the bump stop replacements because you can set the airbags to exactly what your needs are for what you’re hauling. Or just get heavier springs. I have 10% heavier springs on my truck because I use it for hauling tools and materials quite a bit. No trailer for me. The stock springs most definitely are soft but they are aimed for comfort unloaded. I had a 97 ram with stock leaf springs. It was just stiff. Like riding with no suspension. Leaf springs are stiffer by design. Father had an 03 Chevy 2500 that felt like a tank unless you had the bed loaded down. He now has a 2016 Toyota Tundra with the towing package and it’s definitely stiff too. My truck always felt like it was floating because the suspension was so soft. The 10% over springs really helped the rear feel more planted. It helps that my truck comes factory with the heaviest rear sway bar that the factory offers for the 1500s. I’ve loaded my truck with 5-600lbs in the bed with no issues. Also when I moved had around 4-500lbs in the bed plus a loaded enclosed u haul trailer with roughly around 1200lbs in it. The factory tires also are squishy and suck so hopefully you’ve upgraded to a better tire.
https://www.airliftcompany.com/products/air-springs/air-lift-1000-hd/

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I've towed my camper all over the country with my truck and have found these air bags to make a world of difference:

These are the only ones I could find that had 100% stainless brackets and didn't require cutting anything off the frame. They also feature DOT rated fittings and hoses. Highly recommend these if you're going to be towing a lot.

The coil spring suspension does have its drawbacks however I have yet to be in a truck that rides as nice as the Ram 1500s. Yes you may have to add some bags to be able to tow comparably to a leaf spring setup. BUT for the rest of the time the truck rides better than trucks with leaf springs.

tones2SS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My buddy just leased a '22 Limited fully loaded. Has the 3.21 gears, air suspension, 5.7 gas engine.
He is complaining about the towing big time. First time he encountered this. His last Ram truck was awesome for towing. I think it was a 2019 Limited as well??

2003F350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
Plain and simple, as stated above, no two trucks are the same. The WDH MUST be re-set for the new truck. If you're wandering all over the place, then you're taking too much weight off the rear axle and hitch.

When we got our TT (about 35ft, around 7500 lbs loaded...it's an ultra-light because I was concerned about the ratings of the Power Wagon), I made the mistake of letting the dealer set it up. The guy was talking about how he had about 1/2" squat all the way around on my truck, blah blah...

Should have been a red flag right there.

Couldn't run 60 mph without it wandering all over the place. Even with the sway bar as tight as it would go (I use the stand-alone sway bar...not a fan of the all-in-ones).

Now, I've been pulling campers for 25 years. Been around them longer than that. I made a few eyeball adjustments to the hitch...and the next time we went out, I was pulling 65mph with no sway.

The biggest problem today with trusting RV dealers is that NONE of them, or very few anyway, have scales to set hitches up or make sure you aren't overloading your tow vehicle. Every last one of them that I've ever been to is literally just winging it.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Add a set of Falcon tow/haul shocks. They are expensive but if you tow a lot well worth it. They have specific settings for tow or soft or medium settings

CaptOchs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Your WD likely needs to be readjusted after changing trucks. Mine was terrible after going to my RAM. Took it back to the dealer and they added more tension to it. Now it tows my 33fter like a dream. It cost me about $70, but well worth it.

Also: if your WD isn't up to par, your dealer should be letting you know. I tried to bring over my WD kit from my old trailer (without really knowing) and they refused to install it because the capacity couldn't be determined. Although a little irritated at first, the more I dug into it I began to agree with their decision. I got a new kit that is more than capable. The old trailer was never that great towing. The dealer that sold me that trailer used the WD kit I had without any questions asked. It was likely too small for the 28fter.

Dinky

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
lol Chevy and gmc used to pull like **** till a few years ago. they had soft rear ends my 2016 3500hd sat on the over load with a screw drive in the back had installed air bags right away. Never had a issue with my 2014 ram 1500 added airlift coil air bags towed enough with it as well. some people also dont realize they are over weight and past their max towing with a tank full of water and camping gear. 1/2 tons can pull a lot these days but still a half ton.

Shelton90

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I disagree, set up like everyone else said,properly, you can easily get dangerous pulling too much weight or length/height of a camper exceeding the capabilities. I’ll admit, I’ve pushed it past the limits of the spec sheets and never had an issue thankfully. Set up properly. The 5.7 and 8 speed with 3.92 rear end STOCK can pull if you waive off it has to stay revved, it has to be to stay in the sweet spot. Coils do have more downfalls for towing a load than good old fashion leafs, but I think apples to apples it’s negligible when set up proper. Take these guys advice and get your set up on a scale and take a look at your WDH. 9/10 it’s off.

2003F350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
I disagree, set up like everyone else said,properly, you can easily get dangerous pulling too much weight or length/height of a camper exceeding the capabilities. I’ll admit, I’ve pushed it past the limits of the spec sheets and never had an issue thankfully. Set up properly. The 5.7 and 8 speed with 3.92 rear end STOCK can pull if you waive off it has to stay revved, it has to be to stay in the sweet spot. Coils do have more downfalls for towing a load than good old fashion leafs, but I think apples to apples it’s negligible when set up proper. Take these guys advice and get your set up on a scale and take a look at your WDH. 9/10 it’s off.

I've pushed trucks past their limits as well, but only for short periods and short distances. I would never advocate for exceeding the capacities of the truck for long periods, frequent intervals, or long distances. Get the right equipment if you're going to be doing it a lot.