Stalling/No start 1999 5.2l

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

99ram1500v8

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hello, im having a problem with my 1999 5.2l sport. it started a couple months ago and gradually got worse. i’ll drive it sometimes for 15 minutes and it’ll stall. sometimes i’ll drive it for an hour before it’ll stall. sometimes i can’t even make it out my driveway before it stalls. sometimes it’ll crank right back up. and sometimes it takes a while. it acts as if the key has been taken out while driving. but if i leave the key in the on position and wait quietly and patiently, i’ll hear the fuel pump randomly kick on again without me doing anything, and then, and only then, will it start again.

i’ve replaced. ignitions coil several times. distributer/cap/rotor/pickup coil several times, crank sensor, pcm, ignition switch, fuel pump, several relays, still to no avail.

it threw a code (i believe it’s p1388) the asd (automatic shutdown relay circuit). i’ve swapped the relays several times. checked the fuses under the hood, and in the cab. all the relays seem good to my knowledge. i’ve exhausted my knowledge as much as possible, at this point i’m just getting frustrated, im damn near broke all the time. cant find a fix, for the lords sake please help.

Spike95

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Sounds like it is most likely either a short or a loose connection. Either of those can create intermittent issues like that. Since your fault is for the Auto shut down circuit, I would start the truck and start doing wiggle tests on the harness everywhere that circuit goes. Also, check all of your ground connections (on the engine, body, and battery). Make sure their contacts are clean and they are nice and snug.

scrounge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
When this happened on my '99, it was the crank sensor. Only 2 small bolts and the wire connecter should make it easy to replace, but its position makes it almost impossible to see. I was able to get at it a little better by first removing the passenger side wheel, but it's still more feel than sight.