Stalling over moderate/big bumps. no codes. starts right back up.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Johnnymac2k6

Reaction score
Ram Year
2007 Ram 1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Title says it all. While driving, and going over large bumps (fairly rough RR tracks) The truck will die...but then start right back up in neutral while rolling.

I have researched the issue and most similar occurrences appear to have engine codes, or the electrical system / throttle body fault light. This produces no lights, and the truck has continued to start/drive normal after restarting.

Has only happened twice, and i believe both were at idle. Today for sure i lifted because i figured the tracks were rough, rolled over at probably 50. they were in fact pretty bad...and truck died.

time before that, i was rolling to a stop in my driveway and was coasting to the side into a bumpy area. probably only 15 mph, but pretty bumpy. died, then started and drove as normal.

I found one alleged TSB where airbag sensors would cause this as to not deploy the airbags.

All other threads i have found result in multiple people saying to check battery terminals, and grounds, and then no other real resolution surfaces. Truck looks new in the engine bay...large grounds are in good shape and no corrosion.

2007 1500 with a hemi.

thanks for any insight anyone that has experienced and solved this can be.

Jerseystyle

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'd check all power and ground cables first.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

MikeT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD
My thoughts exactly. To me it sounds like a hot side wire has broken through it's insulation and is intermittently touching a frame part or a grounded wire or possible a loose/corroded ground connection. I'd start by checking all grounds making sure they are clean, tight and apply dielectric grease to them. Failing that leave the truck idling in park and do some wire wiggling in the engine bay. Intermittent failures are a total PIA...Good luck.

Mike

OP
OP
Johnnymac2k6

Johnnymac2k6

Reaction score
Ram Year
2007 Ram 1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Seems to be the general recommendation every time i have come across the issue online. No one ever reports back if there is a glaring bad ground they uncover.

Jerseystyle

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Seems to be the general recommendation every time i have come across the issue online. No one ever reports back if there is a glaring bad ground they uncover.
We'll to keep her running you need fuel, spark and air. Loss of spark would kill it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Johnnymac2k6

Johnnymac2k6

Reaction score
Ram Year
2007 Ram 1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Crawled all over it. Everything is tight. No contact with wires on exhaust. Battery is tight. Grounds are good. Been driving as normal...intentionally hit a few big bumps today. No stall. Weird.

OP
OP
Johnnymac2k6

Johnnymac2k6

Reaction score
Ram Year
2007 Ram 1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Man you always seem to have the weirdest issues with your truck, that sucks

I Bleed Ram Trucks
You're telling me lol only happened twice, and a month apart. hopefully isolated, but i'm not that lucky.