starting my drop project soon.......parts are on order

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
M

moregrip

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
ok, everything is looking good and tight, the only connections I had to re-tightened down a bit were the front swaybar end link mounts to the swaybar itself.......so now just waiting for a few odds and ends to show up to complete the suspension package!

PassivAggressor

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
ok, everything is looking good and tight, the only connections I had to re-tightened down a bit were the front swaybar end link mounts to the swaybar itself.......so now just waiting for a few odds and ends to show up to complete the suspension package!

What odds and ends specifically?

OP
OP
M

moregrip

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Interesting. Have no idea what I'm looking at haha.

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

all will be revealed in due time:favorites13: Already on REV 3, but I think I got it straight now!

If all works out the way I hope it does, and someone is interested in this mod, I will scan a template you can use to drill holes on readily available metal stock for the conversion.:burnout:

PassivAggressor

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
all will be revealed in due time:favorites13: Already on REV 3, but I think I got it straight now!

If all works out the way I hope it does, and someone is interested in this mod, I will scan a template you can use to drill holes on readily available metal stock for the conversion.:burnout:
Sweet!

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
M

moregrip

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Couple of pics from earlier today:

Attachments

• IMG_0048.jpg
    IMG_0048.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_0044.jpg
    IMG_0044.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 65
Last edited:
OP
OP
M

moregrip

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Nice! Looks super sexy.

How much space so you have at the rear bumpstops?

Driving impressions?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My driving impressions are very positive so far, honestly, after reading your experience with the same Belltech springs I did everything in my power to stress the suspension to see where it's limitations might lie short of taking it to the track. So here are my thoughts:

1. I believe doing a 4" rear suspension drop and running stock rear shocks long term is not a great idea. Mine were ok but there is just not enough travel left in them. (no new ground covered here, many have reported the same)

2. For me, switching to the Bilstein 5125 series rear shock with 255/70 digressive valving made a huge difference in rear end stability and performance. I initially gained an additional 1/2" of ride height. I will recheck that number in a few weeks to see if that still remains the case.

3. Unfortunately, switching to such a nice rear shock highlighted some shortcomings of the stock front shock, which on my truck are Hitachi's........that's a good thing in my mind because I was able to compare the characteristics of both to some degree. Right now when I'm aggressively taking a turn (i.e. trying to find the limit of rear traction as I gas out of a turn) I do get some bouncing......while not entirely unsettling it does not match the performance of the rear. Hence, I will be installing Bilstein 5125 series front shocks with 360/80 digressive valving as a starting point.
Will report back when I know more.

4. Adding the rear (Durango) air bags at 10psi is a nice addition that doesn't seem to have added too much effective spring rate. If I'm being picky I would have liked them to fill out the entire ID of the spring at little better; right now there is a slight gap around the entire circumference.

5. So far with no rear swaybar this setup is not bad at all and I enjoy driving it. More to evaluate once the rear bar is mounted up.

Some things that I'd like to address:

1. Still getting rear suspension noise(clunking) I have yet to evaluate the source of, but it may very well be what David discovered with his upgraded panhard bar situation. I do get some urethane squeak in some turns as well.

2. The mounts on the 5125 series shock are not 100% perfect (fixing those this week). They come with 1/2" ID - 5/8 OD sleeves in 5/8" ID rubber bushings. I will be swapping those out to 9/16" ID - 3/4" OD sleeves in 3/4" ID urethane bushings to get them 100% correct. Was this necessary (no), does it bother me (yes)

3. Driveshaft balancer is hitting the shield on the gas tank. Thinking about removing it and applying it directly to the tank with adhesive to gain clearance.......it's not a critical thing so I have some time to figure this one out.

4. With the rear axle centered in the wheel wells the coil springs are cocked back and not in a perfect up and down orientation. Not much to be done here except possibly sucking the wheelbase back in a bit to minimize this relationship or I'll just be "ok" with it. For now I'm going to be "ok" with it.

5. The urethane bushing on the panhard bar extends beyond the edges of the relocation bracket so I do get some distortion on the bushing as a result. I have no immediate fix for this.

Sorry for the long response, just sort of highlighting some things I guess. She rides nice! Honestly, firm but not obnoxious. Handles great so far..... but I can't give my 100% impression until she's done! I'm having a blast wrenching and getting the suspension dialed in :favorites13:

Last edited:

DavidRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 RCSB
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My driving impressions are very positive so far, honestly, after reading your experience with the same Belltech springs I did everything in my power to stress the suspension to see where it's limitations might lie short of taking it to the track. So here are my thoughts:

1. I believe doing a 4" rear suspension drop and running stock rear shocks long term is not a great idea. Mine were ok but there is just not enough travel left in them. (no new ground covered here, many have reported the same)

2. For me, switching to the Bilstein 5125 series rear shock with 255/70 digressive valving made a huge difference in rear end stability and performance. I initially gained an additional 1/2" of ride height. I will recheck that number in a few weeks to see if that still remains the case.

3. Unfortunately, switching to such a nice rear shock highlighted some shortcomings of the stock front shock, which on my truck are Hitachi's........that's a good thing in my mind because I was able to compare the characteristics of both to some degree. Right now when I'm aggressively taking a turn (i.e. trying to find the limit of rear traction as I gas out of a turn) I do get some bouncing......while not entirely unsettling it does not match the performance of the rear. Hence, I will be installing Bilstein 5125 series front shocks with 360/80 digressive valving as a starting point.

4. Adding the rear (Durango) air bags at 10psi is a nice addition that doesn't seem to have added too much effective spring rate. If I'm being picky I would have liked them to fill out the entire ID of the spring at little better; right now there is a slight gap around the entire circumference.

5. So far with no rear swaybar this setup is not bad at all and I enjoy driving it. More to evaluate once the rear bar is mounted up.

1. Still getting rear suspension noise(clunking) I have yet to evaluate the source of, but it may very well be what David discovered with his upgraded panhard bar situation. I do get some urethane squeak in some turns as well.

2. The mounts on the 5125 series shock are not 100% perfect (fixing those this week). They come with 1/2" ID - 5/8 OD sleeves in 5/8" ID rubber bushings. I will be swapping those out to 9/16" ID - 3/4" OD sleeves in 3/4" ID urethane bushings to get them 100% correct. Was this necessary (no), does it bother me (yes)

3. Driveshaft balancer is hitting the shield on the gas tank. Thinking about removing it and applying it directly to the tank with adhesive to gain clearance.......it's not a critical thing so I have some time to figure this one out.

4. With the rear axle centered in the wheel wells the coil springs are cocked back and not in a perfect up and down orientation. Not much to be done here except possibly sucking the wheelbase back in a bit to minimize this relationship or I'll just be "ok" with it. For now I'm going to be "ok" with it.

5. The urethane bushing on the panhard bar extends beyond the edges of the relocation bracket so I do get some distortion on the bushing as a result. I have no immediate fix for this.

Sorry for the long response, just sort of highlighting some things I guess. She rides nice! Honestly, firm but not obnoxious. Handles great so far..... but I can't give my 100% impression until she's done! I'm having a blast wrenching and getting the suspension dialed in :favorites13:

Man, you sure are meticulous! Nice job!

I think it's likely that both the squeak and clunking could be coming from the panhard bar (the clunking for sure, from the bar moving back and forth on the soft bushings). I would swap the stock bar back in to verify that, though...

OP
OP
M

moregrip

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Man, you sure are meticulous! Nice job!

I think it's likely that both the squeak and clunking could be coming from the panhard bar (the clunking for sure, from the bar moving back and forth on the soft bushings). I would swap the stock bar back in to verify that, though...

Thanks D, you've been a big help:happy107:

OP
OP
M

moregrip

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So for those curious about my rear swaybar, if you remember, I did not purchase one made for the Ram 1500. In order to get it mounted to the axle I have to make some adapter plates, easy enough, as it will be essentially a flat metal plate with four holes drilled into them. I'll be moving the mounting location 3" inboard on each side and 1" down. As a note: this will not be the lowest point on the suspension. Here is what I'll be making as a starting point:

FullSizeRender%203_zpsaz9dbffw.jpg

This particular pic is "not to scale" but I have a scanned copy that is. If this works out well and there is a performance benefit, all someone would have to do is buy a 5" x 5" piece of metal in your desired thickness, apply the template, center punch the holes to the metal, and drill them out.

Ak47bravo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Nice write up. Glad to hear it is going well. When I was running my BT springs with the spohn arms I too had slightly cocked springs. They weren't lined up and down perfectly. So I think to do so you have to allow the rear axle to move to line them up (which may be more towards the front of the wheel well).

How much space do you have right now in the back at the bumpstops? I'm curious to know what is considered "normal". Because davidram had the same issue I did (riding the bumpstops) where other people do not.

OP
OP
M

moregrip

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Nice write up. Glad to hear it is going well. When I was running my BT springs with the spohn arms I too had slightly cocked springs. They weren't lined up and down perfectly. So I think to do so you have to allow the rear axle to move to line them up (which may be more towards the front of the wheel well).

How much space do you have right now in the back at the bumpstops? I'm curious to know what is considered "normal". Because davidram had the same issue I did (riding the bumpstops) where other people do not.

Let me go under there and measure today, but it looks to be about 1 1/2" from the bumpstop plate on the axle to the lowest point of the bumpstop hanging down.......I'll measure and get an exact figure for you.

OP
OP
M

moregrip

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Additionally, and although I don't know him personally, I would think Matt from Moe's Performance might have the best perspective on what's normal with the Belltech 2/4 kit. If memory serves me right, he's sold quite a few!

OP
OP
M

moregrip

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hour glass bushings and shock mount sleeves showed up today:

Attachments

• IMG_0053.jpg
    IMG_0053.jpg