Steering locked up truck totaled

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MILLARD W MAHN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2019 dodge ram classic had steering wheel lock up on mountain road engine shut down and steering would not work.
Truck plunged over a 170ft embankment.
Rolled 6 times. Everyone walked away from it. Been having short problems with I Injector 3. Been to dealer twice. Light came on and steering locked up.
Anyone else have this prob.

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Wow, I'm glad to hear that everyone is okay after going through that. I haven't read about anyone else having that kind of problem, even minus the trip over an embankment.

bm02tj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Request the report and share with us so we know what happened

KKBB

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Holy crap. That is crazy. Glad everyone is ok.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I wonder what kind of liability the deal and Chrysler are liable for in this incident. Good to hear all walked away.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
they can find out a lot by checking the
event data recorder (EDR) on the Ram

I don't know who has to request that it is looked at

Full Description;

EVENT DATA RECORDER (EDR)​

This vehicle is equipped with an event data recorder (EDR).

The EDR in this vehicle is designed to record such data as:

How various systems in your vehicle were operating.

smithwessn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Glad everyone walked away.

Just out of curiosity, do you have any pics of the truck? Id like to see how well it held up after a tumble like that.

Narg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 eTorque
Some folks pay good money for a thrill ride like that :) Just kidding, and glad everyone is OK. Also, glad for the safety features in modern vehicles.

I had an old Chevy that would not keep a power steering pump working, failed more than once. Sometimes I wouldn't even know it until I got into town from a long drive, as you really don't need power steering on the highway. Could still steer after failure, but it was hard. Today's electric steering boxes, that could be totally different. Scary to think how bad it might be.

Marshall

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 sport
Engine
5.7 hemi
A electric steering still HAS to work even if power is lost, you have to able to steer, with everything dead
I am thinking maybe a tooth broke on the sector and lock it up?, that should not turn the motor off?

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
A electric steering still HAS to work even if power is lost, you have to able to steer, with everything dead
I am thinking maybe a tooth broke on the sector and lock it up?, that should not turn the motor off?
We have electric power steering pumps, but the connection between the steering wheel and the steering rack is still mechanical. It will work even if all power is lost. It will just take more effort to turn the steering wheel at slower speeds. Pretty much the same as a power steering pump that's belt driven and the engine dies.

10 Break

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
they can find out a lot by checking the
event data recorder (EDR) on the Ram

I don't know who has to request that it is looked at

Full Description;

EVENT DATA RECORDER (EDR)​

This vehicle is equipped with an event data recorder (EDR).

The EDR in this vehicle is designed to record such data as:

How various systems in your vehicle were operating.
Is that what records freeze frame data that you can pull on a scanner? Wonder what that looks like after rolling 6 times down 170'.

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Anyone else notice that this guy hasn't come back to this thread since he made it? I generally like to take people at their word, but his original post had me thinking something was off about it. The phrasing is weird. Doesn't mean it didn't happen, and I get it, most people have real lives LOL. But it would be nice if he could come back and provide some more details about what happened.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
NO, EDR only records for something like 30 seconds

The main purpose of an EDR is to record, in certain crash or near crash-like situations, such as an air bag deployment or hitting a road obstacle, data that will assist in understanding how a vehicle’s systems performed. The EDR is designed to record data related to vehicle dynamics and safety systems for a short period of time, typically 30 seconds or less.

MOPAR EDR information

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
Maybe the damaged Ram is locked up
I don't know about the driver

EdGs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
:popcorn: Holy sh*t! Glad everone's ok. Gotta see how this turns out.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
We have electric power steering pumps, but the connection between the steering wheel and the steering rack is still mechanical. It will work even if all power is lost. It will just take more effort to turn the steering wheel at slower speeds. Pretty much the same as a power steering pump that's belt driven and the engine dies.
Not true. When the electric steering goes out, it takes much more effort than hydraulic power steer if the pump or belt failed.