Steering locked up truck totaled

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

shackman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
HOLY S*** !!!!!!!! Thank God you all walked away !!

BNeal

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Limited
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Anyone else notice that this guy hasn't come back to this thread since he made it? I generally like to take people at their word, but his original post had me thinking something was off about it. The phrasing is weird. Doesn't mean it didn't happen, and I get it, most people have real lives LOL. But it would be nice if he could come back and provide some more details about what happened.
Yea, something doesn't sound right - 170 drop off a cliff, and everyone walks away? I don't know...

However, I had a brand new '02 Silverado 1500. 2-days into ownership, I am pulling into a parking space, and my steering freezes. I got it stopped, but I couldn't put it in park, nor could I turn off the engine. Come to find out the ignition switch in the steering column came apart, shorted a bunch of stuff out and jammed the shift lever on the steering column. When it came apart, it apparently thought I was in park, so locked the steering wheel. Had to have it towed for repair. So, although rare and freak, it kind of happened to me.

demonram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I hope you all got on your knees and gave thanks to God for everyone walking away. That had to be one terrifying ride. Glad you all are okay.

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Not true. When the electric steering goes out, it takes much more effort than hydraulic power steer if the pump or belt failed.
You're arguing semantics. I didn't say it takes the same effort, I was using the traditional hydraulic system as an example. I honestly don't know which takes more effort. The point I was making is that you shouldn't lose all steering ability if the electric steering goes out because there is still a mechanical connection there.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
You're arguing semantics. I didn't say it takes the same effort, I was using the traditional hydraulic system as an example. I honestly don't know which takes more effort. The point I was making is that you shouldn't lose all steering ability if the electric steering goes out because there is still a mechanical connection there.
Mik, first not trying to argue or cause any drama, but I assure you, this is not semantics. I'm 64 y/o and had a power steering unit go out out on a 74 olds delta 88 when I was 17. Over the years ive ha the belt break before serpentine belts came about. Like you, when I read posts about the electronic ps cutting out, I figured it would be similar to past experience. When my current 16 had The electric steering cut, it took gargantuan effort to steer. My 5 foot 100 lb daughter most certainly would have lost control. Just trying to point out this is serious issue. In my case, a code was thrown, “loss of communication with the computer. Dealer replace a connector and the ecm.

Bob Macknight

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4hemi
Thank god everyone is okay, with being said,did his truck have electric or hydraulic assist steering.I would think if his truck had the steering system that is tied into the braking system then that also could have been a contributing factor both systems would then fail

Kart20

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If you are on a mountain road and your power steering cuts out, the steering will still probably be operational even without power assist. But I can see how you would easily be over the guardrail before you figured out what happened and realized you needed to add additional force to turn the wheel to safely negotiate the turn.

EdGs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
It seems to me that this could be a very big liabilty for the manufacturer given the difficulty/inability to steer after a failure.

Interesting....

Socalramfan

Supporting Member
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Big Horn
Engine
Regardless to how, or why it happened...... YOU and the others are EXTREMELY LUCKY...... Somebody was certainly watching over you :waytogo:

It would be interesting to see how the RAM ended up. Obviously it kept the occupants safe which is all that matters.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
If you lose power steering then steering would be like getting into your vehicle & without turning the ignition to the Start position turn the steering wheel.

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Mik, first not trying to argue or cause any drama, but I assure you, this is not semantics. I'm 64 y/o and had a power steering unit go out out on a 74 olds delta 88 when I was 17. Over the years ive ha the belt break before serpentine belts came about. Like you, when I read posts about the electronic ps cutting out, I figured it would be similar to past experience. When my current 16 had The electric steering cut, it took gargantuan effort to steer. My 5 foot 100 lb daughter most certainly would have lost control. Just trying to point out this is serious issue. In my case, a code was thrown, “loss of communication with the computer. Dealer replace a connector and the ecm.
Sorry, not arguing with you. As I stated before, I don't know which takes more effort. You have experience with this so I take your word for it that electric assist takes more effort when it fails. What speed were you traveling when you lost steering assist in your '16?

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Sorry, not arguing with you. As I stated before, I don't know which takes more effort. You have experience with this so I take your word for it that electric assist takes more effort when it fails. What speed were you traveling when you lost steering assist in your '16?
Between 45 and 50mph. I could see if you were going around a bend or in mid turn loosing control. Fortunately I was going in a straight line.

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Between 45 and 50mph. I could see if you were going around a bend or in mid turn loosing control. Fortunately I was going in a straight line.
And turning the steering wheel took that much effort at that speed? I'm honestly surprised we don't hear about people getting badly injured or killed because of this if it's that difficult to steer at those speeds. I'm glad to hear you came out of that unscathed.

PolarisCobra

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Not to sound like a naysayer, but a semi complete google search for rollover accidents in Arizona doesn't turn up any news stories about this. Seems like there would be something. This is the only post from the poster.

I hope the poster can come back and give us some details before we all get too worried...

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
And turning the steering wheel took that much effort at that speed? I'm honestly surprised we don't hear about people getting badly injured or killed because of this if it's that difficult to steer at those speeds. I'm glad to hear you came out of that unscathed.
I just googled ram electronic steering and see there is a recall for a possibly contaminated circuit board. Symptoms are “ intermittent steering loss”.

Mik, I was quite surprised myself. There wasn’t much of shoulder but I did slow down to make a hard right into a parking lot. As I said, neither my wife or daughter would be able to make that turn.

dhay13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2500 6.4L Hemi 4.10's 'Off-Road'
I can assure you on an older vehicle losing a power steering belt can make your life miserable. I had a 1969 Chevelle I drag raced and to get more power I removed the power steering pump and belt. The car was street legal and street driven but it was very difficult to steer and your arms felt like they were gonna fall off. If it had happened suddenly near a curve I could definitely see a car into the guardrails