Steering locked up truck totaled

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Lee Iacocca arguably saved Chrysler from itself. He was responsible for the Dodge Caravan and Plymouth Horizon, which lead mini-van sales for more than 25 years. He also lead the acquisition of AMC, which includes the Jeep division. I'd say that's been pretty successful.
Don't forget the K car.

dhay13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2500 6.4L Hemi 4.10's 'Off-Road'
IACOCCA

I
Am
Chairman
Of
Chrysler
Corporation
Of
America

Learned that my first year at Penn State back in 1988

OP
OP
M

MILLARD W MAHN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Anyone else notice that this guy hasn't come back to this thread since he made it? I generally like to take people at their word, but his original post had me thinking something was off about it. The phrasing is weird. Doesn't mean it didn't happen, and I get it, most people have real lives LOL. But it would be nice if he could come back and provide some more details about what happened.
Gee because I've been busy and yes there have been numerous complaints on the ntsb board concerning this
Not to sound like a naysayer, but a semi complete google search for rollover accidents in Arizona doesn't turn up any news stories about this. Seems like there would be
Not to sound like a naysayer, but a semi complete google search for rollover accidents in Arizona doesn't turn up any news stories about this. Seems like there would be something. This is the only post from the poster.

I hope the poster can come back and give us some details before we all get too worried...

something. This is the only post from the poster.

I hope the poster can come back and give us some details before we all get too worried...

First of all you can search az all day long
It happened in Idaho.

There are a number of incidents with this particular model concerning the steering.
I guess all forums will have that one guy that just can't believe something happened because somebody doesn't jump right on a reply I have been busy I've been in Idaho trying to have truck recovered. It's still down there waiting for adjuster to find a recovery business.

The link I posted for nhtsc is not the only area you can discover info.

Attachments

• signal-2021-09-02-181237 (1).jpg
    signal-2021-09-02-181237 (1).jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 69

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
I would think that the State of Idaho would be anxious to have the Ram in a Tow Yard.
They will likely choose a tow company from The List, that has the capability of doing the job, IF the insurance company does not hire one

PolarisCobra

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Gee because I've been busy and yes there have been numerous complaints on the ntsb board concerning this

It happened in Idaho.

There are a number of incidents with this particular model concerning the steering.
I guess all forums will have that one guy that just can't believe something happened because somebody doesn't jump right on a reply I have been busy I've been in Idaho trying to have truck recovered. It's still down there waiting for adjuster to find a recovery business.

Sorry, I was wrong about this being a real post. I have seen this sort of thing here, and on other forums, its a shame when someone posts something like this for fun, and gets lots of people stirred up or worried about nothing. I am happy to see that no one was hurt badly, and that the truck protected you in the accident. Not happy about the accident in the first place.

rosalynolivares

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.1
My previous truck, a 2005 Ram 1500 regular cab LS, three different times my steering went out. It was always when I let off the throttle going into a curve. Very unnerving when you try to turn the wheel and you are met with stiff resistance. Turned out the EGR valve was malfunctioning. Scary.
I had the exact same issue. My truck is currently at the garage and they cannot figure out what is wrong with it. Just curious how you knew it was the EGR valve. I'm hoping to get some ideas for them to look into.

wsutard1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7 eTorque

It happened in Idaho.

Any new updates you can share?

demonram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I had the exact same issue. My truck is currently at the garage and they cannot figure out what is wrong with it. Just curious how you knew it was the EGR valve. I'm hoping to get some ideas for them to look into.
I took it to a local mechanic who diagnosed it. I think it has to be manually manipulated with a vacuum pump to see if it is malfunctioning. Hope this helps.

Rance

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I would not count on the OP being back anytime soon. Seems he took a dump and left and has not been back since his first post.

Google his name and it comes back to a 72 person in AZ which checks out when old people get on the internet and actually register with their own name as their handle name.

Post does seem like a troll post but I am betting there is some truth to it but I sure would like to see an actual police report of the event.
2020 Ram 4x4 I had the same thing happen last month while driving 75 down the highway. Entered a small curve and when i tried to turn steering wheel to straighten back out of the curve the steering wheel was locked up running me in the median between north and south bound traffic. Had to have it towed to the nearest ram dealer because is was undrivable. They ran diagnostics and said it was the power steering module, changed it our and it did not fix the problem. I have excalated it to ram to fix the problem along with some minor damage body damage from hitting something in the grassy median. Ram said not their problem, all repairs are on my dime. Last of any ram, dodge, jeep product I ever buy. This has been a problem since 2013 that i can see. Here it is a month later and the truck is still at the dealer and the steering wheel is still locked up. Said they have to do more diagnostics to figure out the problem since changing the module did not fix the problem.

Gommer

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 1500, 2018 2500
Engine
5.7 and 6.7
2020 Ram 4x4 I had the same thing happen last month while driving 75 down the highway. Entered a small curve and when i tried to turn steering wheel to straighten back out of the curve the steering wheel was locked up running me in the median between north and south bound traffic. Had to have it towed to the nearest ram dealer because is was undrivable. They ran diagnostics and said it was the power steering module, changed it our and it did not fix the problem. I have excalated it to ram to fix the problem along with some minor damage body damage from hitting something in the grassy median. Ram said not their problem, all repairs are on my dime. Last of any ram, dodge, jeep product I ever buy. This has been a problem since 2013 that i can see. Here it is a month later and the truck is still at the dealer and the steering wheel is still locked up. Said they have to do more diagnostics to figure out the problem since changing the module did not fix the problem.

Talk to an attorney.

DB Cooper

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 ETORQ
If the power steering goes out, shouldn't the steering still work? Albeit, with a lot of resistance. For the folks that say it was completely locked, can any of you comment wether truly locked or steering lost power? I want to understand if this could be muscled back into a straight line safely.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
If the power steering goes out, shouldn't the steering still work? Albeit, with a lot of resistance. For the folks that say it was completely locked, can any of you comment wether truly locked or steering lost power? I want to understand if this could be muscled back into a straight line safely.
Happened on my 2016 big horn. Yes it can be muscled, but it’s an effort. Far harder than the old days of having the power steering unit go out. I can see in certain situations where you can loose control. Most woman wouldn’t be able to handle this. IMHO, because of this, all mfg should bring back hydraulic power steering back. Yes, it’s that bad.

DB Cooper

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 ETORQ
Happened on my 2016 big horn. Yes it can be muscled, but it’s an effort. Far harder than the old days of having the power steering unit go out. I can see in certain situations where you can loose control. Most woman wouldn’t be able to handle this. IMHO, because of this, all mfg should bring back hydraulic power steering back. Yes, it’s that bad.
Yes, exactly what I was thinking. Even for a strong person, could still lose control because not enough time to muscle back over.

Rance

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Steering wheel is locked up. Will not move but about 1/2 inch either way. Can not be muscled either direction. Just got a call back from local Ram dealership. Now they are saying the rack and pinion is what caused the problem and not the EPS Module that they already replaced. I was so pissed i forgot how much they said the exact cost to replace is, somewhere around $3,600. How in the world does a rack and pinion go out at 36,000 miles? Ram and FCA (Fiat Chrysler Automobiles) have denied all claims to fixing it. I would assume they probably have law suits for people getting killed or something and if they make a claim on mine then they are admitting guilt. Come on now Ram, you have recalled 2013 to 2019 models with the same power steering issues!!