Steering wheel/Front end issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

paulb6676

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have read thru several threads and have yet to find someone with the same issue. This probably started over a year ago and have been trying to figure it out. Until now I really haven't done much to try and fix it. I was just dealing with it. I'll try to explain the best I can. I bought the truck with 89k miles and now am currently at 138k.

When I am driving (doesn't matter how fast) and go over humps, paved bricks, manhole covers, train tracks, etc, The steering wheel moves up and down like 1/2"-1" rapidly with vibration. Like I can feel everything the tires or suspension feels. Some times I would have to use 2 hands on the wheel depending how hard the bump is. On a scale of 1-10 I would say it was 7-8.

Recently I noticed when pushing up and down on the front end, the shocks wouldn't recover. The back recovered almost right away. So I replaced the front with Monroe Reflex. Haven't touched the back yet. They were OEM's. One was blown and the other was getting there. That took care most of the problem. I would say now on the scale I am at 1-2. I still feel it in both front and rear, but rear being a little bit more.

Also recently I have changed the rims and tires. Problem was there before as well. No difference when I changed them.

Where do I go from here? Also at a stand still, I can move the steering wheel up and down probably about 1/8"-1/4". I don't know if this is normal or not. Is there bushings in the center collum? Is this a front end issue?

2006 1500 Mega Cab

Last edited:
OP
OP
paulb6676

paulb6676

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Guess I stumped everyone. ‍♂️

OP
OP
paulb6676

paulb6676

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So, I changed the rear shocks. It didn't make a difference. The old ones still looked good. Here I go throwing money at a problem. I think I might have found the issue, but am unsure. When I move the shaft I can see the rack and pinion moving a little bit. Not sure if this is normal or if I have bad bushings. Can they be changed without removing tie rods and shaft?

thestuntboy

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
1999 2500/2001 2500/2018 3500
Engine
8.0/5.9 gas/6.4
So, I changed the rear shocks. It didn't make a difference. The old ones still looked good. Here I go throwing money at a problem. I think I might have found the issue, but am unsure. When I move the shaft I can see the rack and pinion moving a little bit. Not sure if this is normal or if I have bad bushings. Can they be changed without removing tie rods and shaft?
If the whole rack and pinion is moving then yes that is bad. It is usually easier to remove it as you need to remove the mount bolts to change bushing anyways. Depends how much room you have to work.

OP
OP
paulb6676

paulb6676

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I changed the bushings and it didn't make much of a difference. Old ones had only a little bit of wear inside. Back to the drawing board. This is ******* me off. I don't think its a front end issue but am not sure. Alignment is good. No pulling and tire wear is even. Does this rule out tie rods and control arm bushings? Thoughts?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1Popeye