Steering Wheel Swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

caltx01

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar
I have a new OEM leather steering wheel for my 2014 RAM 1500. I am going to replace the rubber wheel with this new leather wheel and add the radio control buttons at the same time.

From review of previous threads everything is clear for this swap except for moving the four horn buttons from my current steering wheel to the new one.

See images below - I need to move the four buttons in the red circles and the associated wiring harness to the new wheel. They will mount where the red arrows indicate. Is there anything particularly challenging about this process that I should be aware of?

As always, thanks in advance for any and all guidance and assistance.

Regards,
Cal in Texas

Horn Buttons_3.jpg

Last edited:

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I'll say that the wiring harness inside the steering wheel is very delicate. Take note of the proper wire routing before removing it.

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

tnctx02

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 RAM SLT
Engine
3.6L Pentastar V6
I just installed the audio controls to the back of my steering wheel. Make sure to get all the wire back in the clamps if you can and be sure nothing is between the rear cover and the metal steering wheel base. The rear cover fits flush.
Drove me nuts for a few minutes till I noticed 1 set of wires had gotten loose and was keeping everything from going back together.

misfit77

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Doesnt the leather wheel already have uts own radio controls?

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have moved to 4 horn buttons a few times. Its not hard if you take your time. Put the wheels side by side and pay attention to where the wiring harness routs and the way the horn buttons face. Its really not difficult once you get into it. Just take your time.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk