Steering

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Stuffpower

Reaction score
Ram Year
the one thing that has a lot to be desired on the power wagon is the steering. I’m going to take it in for alignment (I’m low miles so it’s doubtful) but man is the steering just kinda numb. I’m on 35 nitto g2 aired down to 48 and otherwise stock. Is there anything to look at that could help this out. In the past I’ve asked about maybe swapping in the radius arms or going drop brackets with the articulink arms. I guess my thought is power wagon is 2-2.5 lift above factory with same length radius arms, that’s about the size drop brackets get recommended. Not a fan of stabilizers as they usually just hide things but open to swapping it out. And yea I have driven other 2500s from ram and other companies. And while the power wagon isn’t horrible IMO it had the most numb steering of all of them. Any help is appreciated

2003F350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
Did you get new, wider rims for your 35's or did you just put them on the factory rims? IIRC most 35" tires actually call for minimum 11.5" wide rims, factory are only 10.5" wide I think? I can't remember exactly, it's been a while since I looked into this.

Either way, trying to run a tire that calls for a wider rim than what it's mounted on will lead to a numb, wandering feeling while driving, because the sidewalls are curving so far in that you actually are running outside the design parameters of the tires and start to lose rigidity. I've seen a few threads on here where guys swapped for wider rims and improved their steering response when running 35" tires.

OP
OP
S

Stuffpower

Reaction score
Ram Year
I’m on stock wheels but from my understanding the width is within the acceptable range for the tire. Tires can be mounted on a 7.5-11.5 width wheel. Oem wheel is 8

Separately the truck drove this way with the stock tires.

OP
OP
S

Stuffpower

Reaction score
Ram Year
To help clarify it doesn’t seem like there’s a glaring red flag here. Other than it’s really not up to par with everything else I’ve driven(heavy duty wise). It could be normal for the power wagon. I guess best way to describe it just feels numb or loose. You can keep control of it but lots of correcting. Feels more like driving an class A RV than a 2500.
Truck likes to wander in either direction. Loves to follow the crown of the road(I know tires can accentuate that). Steering is heavy at low speeds.

Prob what an old timer will say is normal for a solid axle but having driven different stuff feels numb for a modern solid axle.

Which is why maybe my overthinking and uneducated guess might be in the arms. 2-2.5 inches of lift without any correction in the radius arms or drops. While I understand it may not be needed, I guess I question what will improve the current feel.

I love this truck a lot. While I can live with the weak AC/bad mileage I really want to see If I can improve this steering feel. I really want people who’s smarter than me feedback as to not waste time or money on useless ideas.

22hemi13

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 2500 4x4
Engine
the one thing that has a lot to be desired on the power wagon is the steering. I’m going to take it in for alignment (I’m low miles so it’s doubtful) but man is the steering just kinda numb. I’m on 35 nitto g2 aired down to 48 and otherwise stock. Is there anything to look at that could help this out. In the past I’ve asked about maybe swapping in the radius arms or going drop brackets with the articulink arms. I guess my thought is power wagon is 2-2.5 lift above factory with same length radius arms, that’s about the size drop brackets get recommended. Not a fan of stabilizers as they usually just hide things but open to swapping it out. And yea I have driven other 2500s from ram and other companies. And while the power wagon isn’t horrible IMO it had the most numb steering of all of them. Any help is appreciated
Power wagon arm and non power wagon radius arms are same length. Nothing diff other than added articulink. Your caster could be off making steering feel “numb and heavy”. Maybe add a tad air in front tires to help too.

OP
OP
S

Stuffpower

Reaction score
Ram Year
That’s what I was kinda guessing at. Adding 2.5 inches of lift without any adjustment to the arms. Caster could be low. Angle could be less than ideal. Not so sure which is why I’m asking.

22hemi13

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 2500 4x4
Engine
You lifted the power wagon? Or stock height? The arms are good up to 3” of lift over stock. If you lifted your power wagon 2.5” over stock then yes you need some radius arm drops. If not then the caster is prolly just off or tires are also adding to issue. You do not need new arms or drops if it’s still stock height.

OP
OP
S

Stuffpower

Reaction score
Ram Year
My power wagon is at stock power wagon height which is 2-2.5 inches above a stock ram 2500.

And I know people say arms and drop brackets are only needed at 3 and above on stock ram. I wouldn’t know so that’s were I’m asking a more generic question of what can be done to improve steering. Alignment, arms, drop brackets, stabilizer, etc. could all be a waste of money or a huge improvement. So I’m just trying to learn more.

22hemi13

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 2500 4x4
Engine
Well check caster. Start with cheap or free stuff. I run 40s on mine with oem steering stabilizer and drives good “for being on 40s”. I do my own alignment and no issues. Tire psi will affect how it rides too. That’s free. Try more air and see how it feels.

Zoe Saldana

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
To help clarify it doesn’t seem like there’s a glaring red flag here. Other than it’s really not up to par with everything else I’ve driven(heavy duty wise). It could be normal for the power wagon. I guess best way to describe it just feels numb or loose. You can keep control of it but lots of correcting. Feels more like driving an class A RV than a 2500.
Truck likes to wander in either direction. Loves to follow the crown of the road(I know tires can accentuate that). Steering is heavy at low speeds.

Prob what an old timer will say is normal for a solid axle but having driven different stuff feels numb for a modern solid axle.

Which is why maybe my overthinking and uneducated guess might be in the arms. 2-2.5 inches of lift without any correction in the radius arms or drops. While I understand it may not be needed, I guess I question what will improve the current feel.

I love this truck a lot. While I can live with the weak AC/bad mileage I really want to see If I can improve this steering feel. I really want people who’s smarter than me feedback as to not waste time or money on useless ideas.

I'd start with a new steering stablizer before higher priced things.

OP
OP
S

Stuffpower

Reaction score
Ram Year
I think I’ll just go to a good alignment shop first. The psi I’m at seems to be best but I will experiment. The only thing about the stabilizer. Is it’s not that cheap. Control arms or drop brackets aren’t that much more expensive. It’s what has the biggest chance of getting me to my goals

Zoe Saldana

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
I think I’ll just go to a good alignment shop first. The psi I’m at seems to be best but I will experiment. The only thing about the stabilizer. Is it’s not that cheap. Control arms or drop brackets aren’t that much more expensive. It’s what has the biggest chance of getting me to my goals

A steering stabilizer is like $70!!!!!!!!!! and you can easily install it yourself.

4xdad

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 powerwagon
Engine
I would have someone cycle it back and forth and look for something not right jack it up and check the wheel bearings use a tape measure and check your alignment before you take it to a shop you won’t be as accurate but it might give something to go on

4xdad

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 powerwagon
Engine
I run cheap 35s on stock rim’s but I have a synergy steering kit and a maple off-road steering box brace plus dual steering stabilizer you didn’t mention what year your truck is 2015 ram had a recall on the steering that’s why I bought all steering gear overkill maybe but I don’t want to walk home

OP
OP
S

Stuffpower

Reaction score
Ram Year
Looked as much as I could on stabilizers. Seems like most people that installed them were happy. Tough pill to swallow $460 for the fox ats.

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Get it aligned to the "Thuren" specs (you can google that). I'm running a 2.5" level on my 2500 with 35's and it drives like a dream. The steering stabilizer is not your problem. It's tires and/or alignment.

22hemi13

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 2500 4x4
Engine
Get it aligned to the "Thuren" specs (you can google that). I'm running a 2.5" level on my 2500 with 35's and it drives like a dream. The steering stabilizer is not your problem. It's tires and/or alignment.

Yep. This is the answer! The oem stabilizer is actually pretty decent. It’s not gonna fix his issues. Neither will drop brackets lol.

akguy09

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
What are you comparing it to? My '21 Powerwagon steers about the same as my '12 Ram Cummins did, probably a little better due to less engine weight

If comparing to another brand, then its not apples to apples.