Stellantis’ new Ram pickup is an EV — with a gas-powered generator in case the battery runs out. The end of the Hemi???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1700236561009.png
2025 Ram 1500 Ramcharger Tungsten
  • Stellantis plans to produce an industry-first pickup for its Ram Trucks brand that’s equipped with an onboard gas engine and electric generator.
  • The truck can operate as a zero-emissions EV until the vehicle’s battery dies and an electric onboard generator — powered by a 3.6-liter V6 engine — kicks on to power the vehicle after its initial charge.
  • Ram CEO Tim Kuniskis characterized the new Ram 1500 Ramcharger pickup as the “ultimate answer for battery-electric trucks.”

DETROIT — Automaker Stellantis plans to produce an industry-first electric pickup truck called the Ram 1500 Ramcharger that’s equipped with an electric generator and a gas engine.
If that sounds like an oxymoron, here’s how it works: The truck can operate as a zero-emissions EV until its battery dies and an electric onboard generator — powered by a 27-gallon, 3.6-liter V6 engine — kicks on to power the vehicle.

The outcome is a truck with the benefits of an EV, such as fast acceleration and some zero-emissions driving, without the range anxiety synonymous with most current electric vehicles, according to Ram CEO Tim Kuniskis.
“This is the ultimate answer for the battery-electric truck. No one else has got anything else like it,” Kuniskis told reporters during an event. “This is going to be a game changer for battery-electric trucks.”
The 2025 Ram 1500 Ramcharger is expected to go on sale in late 2024 alongside a previously revealed all-electric Ram 1500 truck without a gas-powered engine or range-extending electric generator.
Stellantis estimates the range of the Ramcharger to be up to 690 miles, including up to 145 miles powered by a 92 kilowatt-hour battery when fully charged without the extended-range power from the gas engine and 130 kilowatt electric generator.
That range compares with up to an expected 500-mile range of the all-electric Ram 1500 REV pickup. It also tops the current Ram 1500, which has a 3.6-liter V-6 engine and an up to 26-gallon tank with a total range of up to 546 miles, according to the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency.

Stellantis did not announce pricing of the Ramcharger, which was revealed Tuesday as part of a redesign of current gasoline-powered Ram 1500 pickups for the 2025 model year.

‘Not a PHEV’​

Kuniskis said the Ramcharger is meant as a bridge between traditional trucks with internal combustion engines and all-electric ones, which currently face significant hurdles regarding charging infrastructure and range anxiety, especially when the vehicles are towing — a main reason to purchase a truck.
Such improvements could be a differentiator for the brand, according to Stephanie Brinley, associate director of AutoIntelligence for S&P Global Mobility.
“It works to address the fact that right now the industry and the pickup truck segment in particular is not ready to just flip to EVs 100%,” she said. “It addresses some of those performance and range anxiety concerns, and it’s strong.— But the difficult part is going to be getting consumers to really understand what it does.”

1700236863330.png
2025 Ram 1500 Ramcharger Tungsten

Similar propulsion technology — referred to as extended-range electric vehicles, or EREVs — is available in overseas markets, specifically China. It’s also similarly been offered in vehicles such as the discontinued Chevrolet Volt sedan from General Motors.

Stellantis engineers said the main difference between the technology of the Ramcharger and the Volt is that the truck is being exclusively propelled by electric motors, not the vehicle’s engine, once the battery dies. It’s also expected to be the first application of it in a production full-size pickup truck.

The Ramcharger features 663 horsepower and 615 foot-pounds of torque and can achieve 0 to 60 miles per hour in 4.4 seconds, Stellantis said. The truck will be capable of bidirectional charging, where the vehicle acts as a generator to power appliances or even an entire home, the company said.

Kuniskis, who also leads Stellantis’ Dodge brand, declined to comment on whether the technology of the Ramcharger will be used in other vehicles. Other Stellantis brands include Chrysler, Jeep and Fiat in the U.S.

The Ramcharger operates differently from current plug-in hybrid electric vehicles, or PHEVs, that offer a range of all-electric driving, followed by an engine powering the vehicle after the battery is depleted.

“The Ramcharger is not a PHEV,” Kuniskis said. “It’s a battery-electric truck with its own onboard, high-speed charger.”

“There’s no connection between the engine and the wheels,” he said. “The gas generator is only there to charge the battery.”

Ram’s truck strategy is different from its leading competitors GM and Ford Motor. The latter is offering traditional, hybrid and all-electric versions of its F-150 full-size truck, while GM has said it plans to transition from traditional trucks to electric ones without the use of hybrids.

Stellantis currently offers PHEV versions of vehicles such as the Chrysler Pacifica minivan and Jeep Wrangler and Grand Cherokee SUVs.

1700236998246.png
Ram’s 2023 Super Bowl ad debuts the production version of the Ram 1500 REV electric pickup that is expected to go on sale in late 2024.

Bye-bye Hemi​

The design of the Ramcharger is a mix between the all-electric Ram 1500 REV and the refreshed gas versions of the traditional trucks, which will be available early next year.
The Ramcharger includes illuminated lines across its grille from the headlamps, new badging that debuted on the all-electric truck and other design and facia elements between the two.
For the traditional Ram 1500 models, the biggest change is the company is dropping its well-known Hemi V-8. Replacing the current 5.7-liter Hemi engine offered in the truck will be a twin-turbocharged, inline-six-cylinder engine called the Hurricane.

“Some customers are going to be upset that you’re not going to have a Hemi in there,” Kuniskis said. “Sure, the Hemi’s an absolute legend. Americans love the Hemi, but this thing flat out outperforms the Hemi.”

The 3.0-liter Hurricane engine is rated at 420 horsepower and 469 foot-pounds of torque, while a high-output version of the engine is rated at 540 horsepower and 521 foot-pounds of torque. That compares with the current V-8 Hemi at 395 horsepower and 410 foot-pounds of torque.

Inline-, or straight-, six-cylinder engines have been used in U.S. vehicles by automakers such as BMW and Jaguar, however, they’re far from mainstream in the U.S.

Other changes to the trucks include a new luxury model called Tungsten and a performance variant called RHO replacing Ram’s high-output TRX pickup that is equipped with a Hemi 6.2-liter V-8 capable of 702 horsepower and 650 foot-pounds of torque.

Article courtesy of Michael Wayland with CNBC.com

4xdad

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 powerwagon
Engine
Cell phones flat screen tvs were all really expensive. The market drives the technology and the price of it. Evs are like that some people want the latest and greatest gadgets. But sometimes the reality is not what they think.

NCRaineman

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500 Classic
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Take a look at electrical demand graphs. It's not linear. There is plenty of capacity during off peak times.
Sure, but charging won't only happen at "off peak" times. People need fuel 24 hours a day. A lot of commercial transportation runs at night, because there is less traffic. Those vehicles are going to be on the road, not charging.

Yet again you ignore the issue of where people who aren't homeowners charge at. A third of the households in the nation rent. Huge numbers of people in urban areas either park on the street or in some kind of lot or structure. They won't be charging overnight either.

Sure we've got all kinds of generating capacity between midnight and 0400. The problem, as you say, is there's no way to generate power during those hours and save it for when demand rises later.

So if we want to build some giant capacitors let's get to it. Problem is that takes time as well.

NCRaineman

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500 Classic
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I suppose that's how the fueled vehicle industry started too, building massive petroleum pipelines and refineries across the continent.
Issue with that logic is government mandates are behind the EV push, not market demand. When gas vehicles were first being adopted the govt wasn't also outlawing the use of horse and wagon. Hell, in many states it is still perfectly legal to use a horse on public roads. The Amish do it all the time. States like Commiefornia and Washington are trying to OUTLAW gas.

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
Sure, but charging won't only happen at "off peak" times. People need fuel 24 hours a day. A lot of commercial transportation runs at night, because there is less traffic. Those vehicles are going to be on the road, not charging.

Yet again you ignore the issue of where people who aren't homeowners charge at. A third of the households in the nation rent. Huge numbers of people in urban areas either park on the street or in some kind of lot or structure. They won't be charging overnight either.

Sure we've got all kinds of generating capacity between midnight and 0400. The problem, as you say, is there's no way to generate power during those hours and save it for when demand rises later.

So if we want to build some giant capacitors let's get to it. Problem is that takes time as well.

Not sure who you think you're talking to on the homeowners vs non-homeowners. I've said the same, as well as pointed out home owners don't all have a garage one of these trucks will fit in or that multiple vehicles will fit in to charge. So your response to my post is off the mark with your 'you again ignore...'

I specifically addressed the notion 'the grid can't handle EVs'. Charging can be timed, that's not a problem. Smart meters make that even simpler. There's money to be made and there's smart people who like to make money. EVs acting like giant batteries can reduce peak demand, just like the people who opt in for the shutting off their AC for 15 minute intervals during peak demand for a small financial incentive.

See:

1. Vehicle-to-Grid (V2G) Technology: EVs equipped with V2G technology can not only draw power from the grid but also return electricity back to it. During periods of high electricity demand, EVs can discharge power to the grid, acting as distributed energy resources. This bidirectional flow of energy helps balance the grid by providing additional electricity when needed, thus stabilizing fluctuations in supply and demand.
  2. Grid Storage: EVs, collectively, represent a large distributed energy storage resource. By intelligently managing the charging and discharging of EV batteries, the grid can effectively utilize this storage capacity. During times of high renewable energy generation, excess electricity can be stored in EV batteries, reducing curtailment of renewable energy sources. When renewable generation is low, the stored energy in EVs can be utilized to meet demand, reducing the need for fossil fuel-based power generation.

This isn't future tech, this is easily done now.

There's plenty of reasons to be concerned about EVs, as I've said I'm agnostic on the matter and have no interest in one myself, but at least let's be honest with the pros and cons. The 'grid can't handle it' is ill informed at best, a purposeful scare tactic at worst.

KalboKalbs

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
21 Longhorn Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7
...let's be honest with the pros and cons. The 'grid can't handle it' is ill informed at best, a purposeful scare tactic at worst.

OK, let's be honest.

Slow Guy here, missed the scare tactic. Was one posted?

Fact is. The electrical grid Can NOT Provide sufficient electricity, When Consumers Demand Electricity.

How do I know...

Power companies commonly call for cutting back on electrical demand.

- IF the grid had sufficient capacity, there would be NO call to cut back on electrical usage.

- There would be NO need for "smart meters" to curtail electrical use. After all, there is sufficient electricity available.

>>> I'll continue believing my lying eyes and ears, by observing life as it is. NOT listening to the approved narrative <<<

Last edited:

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4

OK, let's be honest.

Slow Guy here, missed the scare tactic. Was one posted?

Fact is. The electrical grid Can NOT Provide sufficient electricity, When Consumers Demand Electricity.

How do I know...

Power companies commonly call for cutting back on electrical demand.

- IF the grid had sufficient capacity, there would be NO call to cut back on electrical usage.

- There would be NO need for "smart meters" to curtail electrical use. After all, there is sufficient electricity available.

>>> I'll continue believing my lying eyes and ears, by observing life as it is. NOT listening to the approved narrative <<<

I'm not repeating the same arguments again for your benefit. Feel free to read my post above yours and the linked article and tell me where it's wrong or 'a narrative'. The grid can, and will, handle it just fine. It handled crypto-currency mining just fine, which in the US currently draws roughly 20x the energy demand of EVs. I don't see a lot of posts about how that caused the grid to crash...because it didn't, and crypto doesn't allow for smart grid storage like plugged in EVs nor free up energy use in another sector. It just turns energy into Ponzi scheme chits.

The only 'narrative' I follow is money. Multi-billion dollar enterprises paying out 5% dividends on the regular. I'm sure they've got a better handle on it then random forum posters clucking along with chicken little.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Apparently everyone's supposed to live in Montreal and drive their Ram to their offices.

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Here ya go, Canada gang...........ban all ICE vehicles will be fun on the remote, frozen, distant tundra. Eh?

Includes Ram, @crash68

This has come up in the news again recently but that decision was made a few years back already. Most of us canucks are just politely holding our nose and waiting for the next election where we can toss our current "prime minister" onto his slippery upper class a$$.

Elect an ex drama teacher and what do you get? Drama. Surprise.

(note for the humour impaired: post does not condone violent behaviour. all references to such is merely artistic license. no prime ministers were hurt by the writing of this post.)

4xdad

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 powerwagon
Engine
His dad sc@&$ed the country now he’s doing it too. We will be paying for his policies until I’m dead. As a born and raised Albertans I know that oil and gas are not going anywhere soon. Evs are probably a good idea for some people but in Alberta not so much. Technology marches on I think something better will come along. There is some pretty smart people working on different things that might be better than an ev.

4xdad

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 powerwagon
Engine
I think it’s awfully presumptive for him and his merry band of clowns to think that they will still have jobs after what they’ve done to my beloved country. I can’t wait for the next election. There is a reason why we don’t have a second amendment type bill

andygl

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
home owners don't all have a garage one of these trucks will fit in or that multiple vehicles will fit in to charge
The presence of the garage is not a requirement. Both my cars live outside, never been inside the garage. Including EV - blue one, on the right in the picture. You can even see the charging cable there.

Attachments

• Driveway.png
    Driveway.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 12

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
"Combining the low range of an EV with the fact that charging infrastructure is considerably lacking, it’s reasonable to worry. Imagine having half a gas tank, only two gas stations within a several-mile radius, and then crossing your fingers that the gas pumps work. "

Again, there's a time and a place for EV's - not everywhere, all the time.

4xdad

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 powerwagon
Engine
Larger population centres will have the infrastructure moose’s ****** Alberta probably not plus I don’t think that the government will be able to get it done. And if by some miracle they do it ain’t gonna be cheap or right or right away. In Edmonton Alberta we have an electric train that is just started running the project was years over schedule and has lots of problems. It didn’t even run a year and they are having issues and it hasn’t even faced a real Alberta winter yet. Thank god for global warming.

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
The presence of the garage is not a requirement. Both my cars live outside, never been inside the garage. Including EV - blue one, on the right in the picture. You can even see the charging cable there.

I'm sure it isn't in your neighborhood. Not everywhere is your neighborhood. Lots of places in the US that leaving a nice fat bundle of copper out is bait for scrappers looking for their next hit of *insert addiction of choice here*. Not even just an urban thing, the ****/pills scourge hit many rural areas real hard.

Even the feds warn about it: https://www.energy.gov/energysaver/ev-charging-cable-theft

Much like catalytic converters, charging cables are full of valuable copper wire. Every year, copper thefts account for more than 1 billion in losses according to the U.S. Department of Energy. It is highly valued because the prices for copper have soared. The problem is become so widespread that all 50 states have laws to help decrease metal theft. A thief with a heavy-duty cable cutter and a local scrap metal yard connection can turn your cables into cash in quick order.

Electric car and plug-in hybrid charging differ in every owner’s situation. For ongoing security, the best strategy is to do all your charging overnight at home. In the best situation, your car can charge inside your garage.

If the location of your charging station or plug sits outside, securing and obscuring your EV charging cable is essential to prevent theft. One of the most effective ways to do this is to keep your cable out of sight by installing a charging station behind a fence or dense landscape barrier with a lockable cabinet to store your cable

So, yeah, it may not be required but you're sure AF rolling the dice on if it's still there in the morning in much of the US.

*edit* apparently m e t h is censored here. That's how we'll win the war on drugs. I still enjoy the fact many common place words nobody is offended by are censored here, but official emojis include: :manos: :boobs::devilfinger:

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I am interested in an EV for the driving I do around town. For my use I could just plug into a regular wall socket occasionally to top back off, no extra set up required.

I am equally interested in the opportunity to use the vehicle for a power source to charge tool batteries as I often drive out back if my house to drop a load of stone or dirt, remove fallen trees, etc. And when traveling I would like to have that power to run the trailer options like heat and A/C when we stop at gas stations for a few hours.

But I don't want a sole powered EV because range is terrible, the charging infrastructure is no where ready for casual driving and stopping when I want. Plus, every single charger I have ever seen DOES NOT support charging a truck with a trailer. They are in parking garages which are too low, at the front of store parking lots, or in a row where space does not allow a truck with a trailer. And every single charger I have personally seen requires the vehicle to back in to charge (assume pull in for trucks with plug in front as appears for the Ramcharger). Tell me how the heck I am supposed to get my truck with trailer charged without disconnecting my trailer somewhere and dumping it while I sit and wait for a charger to open them sit and wait for it to be charged. Again, personal experience seeing chargers, they are all full whenever we travel as it is often during peak travel times because we have a teacher and student in our family. Access will continue to be challenging at best for years during peak travel hours/days and I am sure there are countless people like me who refuse to be inconvenienced (please don't jump on how my inconvenience is damaging the planet, that is of topic and will get this thread closed).

So after all that bellowing I just did, I am extremely interested in how the Ramcharger can help me do my part in reducing our country's reliance on the fossil fuels that are predominantly provided by insanely wealthy individuals who think nothing of reducing output to create artificially high prices that line their pockets (and create all kinds of conflicts we have to deal with). Yes it still uses gasoline but having the option to use electric power first means I can help solve one problem.

I know, electricity has to come from somewhere. We are slowly working on that and the opportunity is there for a mix of alternatives to provide that. It will take time.

So can't wait to see what this is all about as it gets closer to release. Maybe one is in my future.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Yep. For is north country dudes, the cold cuts battery range enormously at the same time more power is needed for higher cold friction AND heat is needed in the cabin.