Step type running boards

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

scooter6

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I upgraded to a 2020 2500 am in need of some step type running boards , I need to shorten the distance from the ground to the truck. Was looking at Nfab epyx steps anyone familiar with these? Thank you

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
you want steps, or powered steps like Amp Research?

MADDOG

Not RamForum Staff
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I've had NFab step bars on my last three 2500 Ram trucks. Two of them were the hoop style and the last was a model close to the Epyx steps.

The first set was on a 2007 MegaCab:

11-06.JPG

The second set were mounted on a 2014 BigHorn:

14 43.jpg

The last set were put on a 2017 2500 CTD. They were an early version of the Podium step bar with a painted finish.

20170526_132914.jpg

The only issue I experienced was with the painted finish on ^^^that^^^ last set. They chipped pretty quickly and rust started on the bare metal.

I'd stay away from a high polish or painted finish. The textured powdercoat is definitely the way to go. I put almost 140K miles on the set that was installed on the 2007 and the coating was still intact and doing it's job when I traded it in.

The Epyx units look great and come polished or powdercoated. I'd highly recommend you get the powdercoat option.

Quick_Shifter

IG: @ak_trucks_pa
Supporting Member
TOTY Winner
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
AK Trucks Tuned 5.7
I upgraded to a 2020 2500 am in need of some step type running boards , I need to shorten the distance from the ground to the truck. Was looking at Nfab epyx steps anyone familiar with these? Thank you
Amp research steps are going to be the lowest step to the ground. They also make extensions that drop if from 6ish inches to 8ish inches

Papa Red

Papa Red
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I have the factory installed steps and love them. It would be hard to get into this truck without them.

Red

Rick_Hunts

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I've had NFab step bars on my last three 2500 Ram trucks. Two of them were the hoop style and the last was a model close to the Epyx steps.

The first set was on a 2007 MegaCab:

View attachment 238237

The second set were mounted on a 2014 BigHorn:

View attachment 238240

The last set were put on a 2017 2500 CTD. They were an early version of the Podium step bar with a painted finish.

View attachment 238247

The only issue I experienced was with the painted finish on ^^^that^^^ last set. They chipped pretty quickly and rust started on the bare metal.

I'd stay away from a high polish or painted finish. The textured powdercoat is definitely the way to go. I put almost 140K miles on the set that was installed on the 2007 and the coating was still intact and doing it's job when I traded it in.

The Epyx units look great and come polished or powdercoated. I'd highly recommend you get the powdercoat option.

Those are real nice...

RAM432

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L V8 HEMI VVT
I installed the OEM Mopar matte black running boards, my kindergartner and 2nd grader have no problems getting in and out now. I personally just wanted plain running boards that didn't stand out visually but were still functional, so these were the perfect option.

SOKY_RAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
@SOKY_RAM thanks much, looks great!

They are taking a little to get used to. The step is actually farther down than my previous nerf bars. Which is good because my kids can get in easier. But I do have a rather large foot and it doesn't fit all that well on the step when getting out. They do move a little when I put my weight on them but i think its just due to how they mount to the cab. Or it could be because i put on the covid 19 and now weigh about 230.

JayLeonard

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 L Cummins
I'm waiting for the Aries powered steps I ordered to come in. Wife needs a hip replacement and has trouble using the factory bars.
Tried to get AMP steps but 2 dealers and online searches showed nothing available for a 2500 crew cab. Everyone s out of stock.

DJ Maresco

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I just installed these factory boards.

IMG_20210403_123252~2.jpg

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
The N-Fab Black Epyx Steps sure look good

I would have one concern, they don't look like you could insert the toe of your footwear in quite far enough

It would be OK for you youngsters, but when you get to be my age, i need a little more than just the balls of my feet for support on things like ladders & steps

Rick_Hunts

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Nice wish I could afford those, I mean justify them :)

JayLeonard

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 L Cummins
Nice wish I could afford those, I mean justify them :)

Trust me it wasn't something I wanted to do, but the wife has a bad hip, needs a replacement, so was kind of in a bind.
I guess I could say I used our "stimulus check" to stimulate the economy.