Still fighting with FCA about my 8 speed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
P

Pettybilt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So fix the damned thing, quit your whinning.
Show the documented proof and try to get reimbursed.

Are you serious?
The truck is under warranty, so you think I should shell out 4 to 5 k then hope I can get them(FCA) to reimburse me?

That's not going happen. The trans is toast at this point.
This post was intended to bring awareness to the a fact that there is a potential problem with these transmissions.
Also that FCA will not stand behind there products.

If that's whining, then sorry I disagree with you.

LouM

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram Ecodiesel crewcab old/ now 2019 Laramie Hemi
Engine
eco diesel old / now Hemi missing the eco's mileage
It's not the transmission it IS the transmission cooler/heater,
it is a $110 part.

Attachments

• RAM transmission temp.pdf
    423.9 KB · Views: 6

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Are you serious?
The truck is under warranty, so you think I should shell out 4 to 5 k then hope I can get them(FCA) to reimburse me?

That's not going happen. The trans is toast at this point.
This post was intended to bring awareness to the a fact that there is a potential problem with these transmissions.
Also that FCA will not stand behind there products.

If that's whining, then sorry I disagree with you.

Yeah, thats crazy to spend 4-5k and hope and pray they reimburse you. Just judging from their current ans past "action" on the issue, I highly doubt they will be willing to reimburse a 5K trans replacement that they clearly think is not necessary.

Drive the damn thing into the ground. Its been documented enough that I would think even outside of warranty you have a good case to get the trans replaced and not just band-aid fixed.

Youd figure since this seems to happens so little, there wouldnt be much push back on replacing it. Its not like the 8HP is dropping out of every truck, there seems to be very few actual issues with them (not counting complaints about the 2-1 bump or the 1-2 flare first thing in the morning)

LouM

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You are apparently trying to destroy the tranny and have not been successful so far.
It appears to me that you are trying to make a mountain out of a mole hill.

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
it is a $110 part.

That is what is causing the high temps, yes.

But would you rely on your transmission after it hit 250+ regularly?

And not only do they need to replace the cooler/heater, they need to flush the whole system to make sure any shavings or broken parts arent sitting in the system ready to cause issues with the replacement heater/cooler.

Since they keep deflecting saying there is NO issue, what makes you think they will take the time to actually fix it the right way?

PoMansRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Sorry if I missed it in this thread, but at what point will a MIL be lit up associated with ATF temp? You would think @ that ~250F range, a code would be set or the powertrain would be put into limp mode. Could that fluid temp probe not be reading correctly? You would think the ATF cooler/heater would either work or not work (giving problems ALL the time), but I get it that under certain driving conditions, your ATF temp might not even break a sweat. I know with my 2017 Ram 1500 Pentastar w/ 8HP45 trans, if the ambient temps are in the 30F range and I have the cabin heat on heavy, my ATF temps stay around 165F. On a 90F day and lots of driving, I have seen it get close to 220F.

That would be an interesting test for the OP. Put the heat on full when you have these high ATF temps to see if it drops the temp.

OTOH, I have never seen a dealer service department that didn't completely BLOW in terms of their ability to troubleshoot or repair real transmission issues. They just don't have the resources, nor do they want to.

OP
OP
P

Pettybilt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
it is a $110 part.

I understand that, my problem is the transmission has been compromised at this point.
It's been 240+ several times.
At those temps it whines and bangs when down it shifts.

I'm certain the heater is the problem, however it damages the transmission in the process.

OP
OP
P

Pettybilt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You are apparently trying to destroy the tranny and have not been successful so far.
It appears to me that you are trying to make a mountain out of a mole hill.

I'm not doing anything out of the ordinary.

To me this is not a mole hill, I'm on my second trans in a truck with less than 50k miles.
Funny thing is they replaced the first one with no CELs on.
The tech noted the fluid was burnt, hell I can't even get them to check the fluid level now.

Last edited:

LouM

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Sorry if I missed it in this thread, but at what point will a MIL be lit up associated with ATF temp? You would think @ that ~250F range, a code would be set or the powertrain would be put into limp mode. Could that fluid temp probe not be reading correctly? You would think the ATF cooler/heater would either work or not work (giving problems ALL the time), but I get it that under certain driving conditions, your ATF temp might not even break a sweat. I know with my 2017 Ram 1500 Pentastar w/ 8HP45 trans, if the ambient temps are in the 30F range and I have the cabin heat on heavy, my ATF temps stay around 165F. On a 90F day and lots of driving, I have seen it get close to 220F.

That would be an interesting test for the OP. Put the heat on full when you have these high ATF temps to see if it drops the temp.

OTOH, I have never seen a dealer service department that didn't completely BLOW in terms of their ability to troubleshoot or repair real transmission issues. They just don't have the resources, nor do they want to.

I have seen somewhere that it is around 270 degrees that it will set an alert and derate the engine.
These new fluids can take some high heat with no apparent ill effects.

OP
OP
P

Pettybilt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have seen somewhere that it is around 270 degrees that it will set an alert and derate the engine.
These new fluids can take some high heat with no apparent ill effects.

Mine has been 271, nothing happened.

20180812_131449001.jpg

PoMansRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
^ Do you recall how long it held at 271F?

I wonder if what the computer sees is different from what we see on the dash.

TheRealSteve

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I don’t think I’d do anything to that transmission. The dealership will claim you caused the problem if you change out any parts. Try another dealership and see what they say. Maybe a transmission shop could do a diagnostic on it but I wouldn’t let them remove or replace anything. If it was me I’d do my best to trade that truck in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TheRealSteve

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I’m not sure how much of a loss you would take if you traded the truck in but it’s probably worth it. Maybe the transmission didn’t get hot enough to damage it yet but didn’t you say it makes a clunk noise? If they fix the overheating you still have a transmission issue.

PoMansRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
After that replacement transmission started acting up and the dealer wouldn't do a thing, I would have traded that truck in immediately, even if I had to loose a grand or two. No way in hell I'd put that money into such a new, low mileage truck that dealer(s) wont touch.

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I think the problem would be that ti would be more than a grand or two, most likely. Then there is the principal of the whole thing...

Why should anyone have to lose money because the dealer and FCA are cheap and lazy?

Why should anyone give FCA and the dealer what they want? Since they already have your money for buying the truck, you getting rid of it is no skin off their teeth

On the other hand, there are no moral victories in keeping the truck and hoping they will eventually fix it.

I am still curious if they would lower the trade in because it has "transmission issues".

OP
OP
P

Pettybilt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
^ Do you recall how long it held at 271F?

I wonder if what the computer sees is different from what we see on the dash.

I dont, the wife was actually driving back from 3 hr rode trip when it happened.
She called me and said it was at 271.
I told her to slow down, or get off an exit, I had never seen it that high.
Highest I'd seen was 240 and it didn't sound good at that temp.

I wasn't sure what was going happen if she keep driving. I didnt want her to break down cause I was at least an hour from her.

Keep in mind every time its 220+ we haven't been pulling anything.
I read a post the other day on here and that guys truck acts the same as mine.
It's fine around town, only when you get on the highway cruising at 70-75 will it start to heat up.
I have a 24 enclosed that probably 6-7k lbs loaded, and the trans runs 220 in 6th gear, however I'm never running 75 with the trailer.
To me, there is a restriction in cooling system.

I've asked several times for the operating parameters, and to this day no one can show me in writing.
Keffer told me it was up to 220, when I ask for this in writing he started back pedaling.

For those who care to read this post and dont think I'm making a mountain out of a mole hill, I'll keep you posted.

OP
OP
P

Pettybilt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I’m not sure how much of a loss you would take if you traded the truck in but it’s probably worth it. Maybe the transmission didn’t get hot enough to damage it yet but didn’t you say it makes a clunk noise? If they fix the overheating you still have a transmission issue.

When it's hot it whines, clunks.
Twice its tried to downshift into 5th and it's like it's in neutral.
It will then go back to 6th and take off.

I've been working out of town back and forth since it hit 271 in August, so it's hard for me to take off and get it to a dealer.
The guy at Steve White sounded interested in helping me, but he's almost 2 hrs from me.
I have a week off at Christmas, so I'm going do my best to get it to him then.

OP
OP
P

Pettybilt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I think the problem would be that ti would be more than a grand or two, most likely. Then there is the principal of the whole thing...

Why should anyone have to lose money because the dealer and FCA are cheap and lazy?

Why should anyone give FCA and the dealer what they want? Since they already have your money for buying the truck, you getting rid of it is no skin off their teeth

On the other hand, there are no moral victories in keeping the truck and hoping they will eventually fix it.

I am still curious if they would lower the trade in because it has "transmission issues".

You are absolutely right, why should i be forced to loose money because FCA wont stand behind their stuff?
The last thing i want to do is give in, which is exactly what they want me to do. I have missed so much time from work dealing with these people ive already lost money.
Either way im going to loose in the end. I still have 50k miles left on the powertrain warranty. i'll make a decision by the end of the year.

What really sucks about the whole thing is i love the truck, I cant get over how well it pulls my enclosed trailer. And dam , does the Hemi sound good.

Life goes on.

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
To be honest in an unrelated incident I asked what a RAM dealer would give me on trade for my 1 years old big horn and it was 2k less than I paid.

And to be more honest o think that's actually a pretty damn good deal. I didn't do it, but I was surprised it wasn't much less.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Hootbro

U.S. Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4x4
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L
To be honest in an unrelated incident I asked what a RAM dealer would give me on trade for my 1 years old big horn and it was 2k less than I paid.

And to be more honest o think that's actually a pretty damn good deal. I didn't do it, but I was surprised it wasn't much less.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Some dealers like minty and newish trade in's and will pay top dollar. Many times they have "credit challenged" customers that cannot swing a new car note but can get the financing on a used one even if almost new retail. I traded in a 3 month old 2018 Wrangler JL and took less than a $500 hit off of what I paid toward my 2018 RAM.