Stock 5.9 Gas

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Autry

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
What's up ya'll
I currently dd a 94 Ram 1500 4x4 5.2
So I scored a 5.9 gas and pcm from a 95 Ram van 3500 . and a non egr intake complete with tb and injectors from an 03. I know I don't want to get into the bottom end so with that being said. Whats the best cam for a little more for hp/tq without having to program. I don't want to take a second mortgage to get this done. Also looking for headers , are long tube better or shorty? Also heard of a tb mod and intake mod. Clear that up anyone? I've looked nto hughes , but honestly I've never done anything but stock swap parts . I'm a mechanic now neve ventured off into tq/hp gains. Any guidance will be much appreciated. Much love brothers and sisters !!!

Dan98

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
A couple years back I installed comp cam .480 intake. 512 exhaust think 12 degrees lobe separation 400 plus dollars doesn't require programming but recommend 2 degrees advance on timing chain shorty headers no cats true dull exhaust I gutted the intake widened the ports and went 180 thermostat. I believe the 95 is map control so like me low vacuum made it run rich in low rpm and stall on the cost. Cant program that old of ecm and I couldn't find any shop who has access to program dodge older than 2012. So I went carbureted speed master universal intake fits magnum or la heads it runs killer now. Any cam is probably a waist of money on 93-2012 unless you just bite the bullet and go carburetor. About 1300 dollars cam included

Sent from my SM-J260A using Tapatalk

ViolentMouse

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 magnum
hughes engines camshaft part number: ser0814aln-14

doesn't need a reflash. holds good vacuum.

Any cam you get for the magnum will be $400+ just how it is. Also if you are on stock heads.... forget doing any intake, exhaust, throttle body or cam mods.... waste of time, and money you will be throwing good money at gains you will never see, the stock heads crack often, and flow terribly. They are designed to be reliable, and pass emissions requirements.

If you want to make some real power, you need to ditch the stock heads for something with better flow, it used to be EQ heads, and RHS indy MA-X heads, but those are history now that edelbrock makes aluminum units for the magnum. If you go down that path, you also need to toss the stock cast pistons for forged units... the pistons will fall apart if you throw 400HP at them for any amount of time... (ask me how I know.)

The stock rods are forged units and good for 500-ish, the stock crank I have seen do way over 750 no worries.

Even with better flowing heads, long tubes are not enough of a gain over shorty headers to justify the cost or labor required to put them in... but they do sound amazing.

But you need to know "WHERE" you want to make power. Do you want something that shreds big tires and can run through mud? or do you want something that makes big power on the street turning at 7000rpm?

The stock intake with a hughes plenum pan, and the cam I listed above with +2 degrees of cam timing is perfect for a 4x4 to make great power and still be reliable.

If you are looking to make more than 350hp at the crank, you will need a 96+ ECM so you can get it tuned, and you will need to swap a lot more than just the cam.