Stock Goodyear SRA tires replace or run 'em poll

Should I replace the new Goodyear SRA tires that came with my new RAM?

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jbrown5030

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
As much as I hated them, I still ran them until they were gone. I do wonder though, since some of us thought they really sucked in the rain, and others had no complaints in the rain, maybe it's a quality consistency issue.

OP
OP
buddy guy

buddy guy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
What I wondered this afternoon is if they are somehow sensitive to tire pressure more than most tires. The thought came from the comments about how the sidewalls are so thin. So I wondered if running them high would be better than low due to that. But that might make them more susceptible to hydroplane. I don't know....Just spitballing here.

ohiobf

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I had the SRAs on until about 35k miles - when I encountered a second puncture in the same tire- so in lieu of trying to fix I replaced them. They probably had another 10-15k Mike’s on them. Never really had an issue with them...but replaced them with Continentals. They are quieter and smoother (but they are brand new).

B720C0E9-BC09-4CD7-AE9A-C2B8099AE30C.jpeg

Fitz-0518

Veteran 66-68
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500. 2018 1500
Engine
6.4 3.6
I am running mine on my 03 1500 until they need to be replaced. Mistake in buying these. They perform poorly and ride hard because of the thin side wall. But, I found that by inflating them to 45lbs, the ride improved. Going back to the BF Goodrich.

OP
OP
buddy guy

buddy guy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I was running mine at 44 cold until today. I'm a bad tire pressure checker:) I had them higher over the winter due to our extreme cold and short drives to work but now it's warmed up I figured I should drop them down a bit. I do like to run my tires a little high anyway so I have them at 42 for now. only about 3000km on them since I bought the truck Feb 8.

PJ Snyder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
these tires seem to have as many complaints as compliments. But I want to see how the numbers actually stack up. And happy to hear experience and opinions. This is more than just a fun poll. I have 1500 miles on my stock Goodyears and I'm considering options:)

PJ Snyder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Goodyear is crap, I have used KO2's and very pleased. They provide good traction in snow and wet pavement.
I've been using Goodrich AT for over 30 years starting with my 1987 Ramcharger.

tidefan1967

Supporting Member
Reaction score
What I wondered this afternoon is if they are somehow sensitive to tire pressure more than most tires. The thought came from the comments about how the sidewalls are so thin. So I wondered if running them high would be better than low due to that. But that might make them more susceptible to hydroplane. I don't know....Just spitballing here.
Higher pressure would make them easier to puncture, ride worse and provide worse traction in all weather conditions. I run mine at 37 year round because by the time they heat up they'll be at 39. I care more about a good ride that's vibration free than squeezing an extra 1/4 MPG out of my 17 MPG truck that always gets the same mileage no matter how I drive it. Back in the day when we went to the drags lowering the air pressure in the rear tires was the first thing I did when we got there. It increases the tires contact patch thereby giving better traction. Last time it snowed here I lowered the pressure in my GY's down to 30 all the way around and it did help with slipping and sliding. Too much air will cause those tires to wear out just as fast as too little.

OP
OP
buddy guy

buddy guy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Higher pressure would make them easier to puncture, ride worse and provide worse traction in all weather conditions. I run mine at 37 year round because by the time they heat up they'll be at 39. I care more about a good ride that's vibration free than squeezing an extra 1/4 MPG out of my 17 MPG truck that always gets the same mileage no matter how I drive it. Back in the day when we went to the drags lowering the air pressure in the rear tires was the first thing I did when we got there. It increases the tires contact patch thereby giving better traction. Last time it snowed here I lowered the pressure in my GY's down to 30 all the way around and it did help with slipping and sliding. Too much air will cause those tires to wear out just as fast as too little.

yep. I buy and agree with all your thoughts, especially relative to contact patch and such. My thinking on why you would possibly run higher than the 39 on the sticker was that maybe with running stock or lower pressure, that already thin sidewall is getting more pressure put on it? i know **** about tires. Just theorizing. The other theory I have is that maybe tires provided under large contract like these to Dodge and others are allowed to run closer to minimum specs. (ie more out of round etc). But I'm getting into tin foil hat territory. Or maybe it's just a flawed tire design.

My son had all season (not all weather) Goodyear Assurances on his 2006 Honda Accord. Probably rarely checked the pressure and the tires looked pretty darn good after running them for 3 yrs after he bought the car used. So I looked for another good used set given his track record and found some. As we were changing the tires on Sunday, I looked at the date code and condition of them aside from expected tread wear. Made in 2009 and that car has sat outside a lot in everything from blazing hot sun to bitterly cold winter weather. So Goodyear does seem to make some good tires.

Eurocat

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I swapped my Sra's for Duratracks at 500 miles. Goodyear purchased the SRA's from me since they were new and took it off the price of the new ones.
the duratracks have much better grip, but have a bit of a vibration at highway speeds. either that or the goodyear dealer did a crap job with the balancing.
in any case in the boat ramp and in snow they are really great tires. (good in rain too)

OMW2SKI

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I replaced mine ASAP. The OEM's are terrible. I got like 3 flats within the 1st month of ownership. No longer trusted them. We take some long road trips pulling a camper. Needed a stronger, more reliable tire. I was able to get a few hundred dollars for my OEM's with about 8K on them. I bought the KO2's in stock size and Load range D. Love them!

Hemimania

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
these tires seem to have as many complaints as compliments. But I want to see how the numbers actually stack up. And happy to hear experience and opinions. This is more than just a fun poll. I have 1500 miles on my stock Goodyears and I'm considering options:)
Never really had a major problem with them. In fact my 04 had 2 sets that lasted about 120000 miles. As soon as they went on my '15, I replaced them with GoodYear trail runner AT. LOVE the way they look. Also guaranteed for 55000 miles.

20190327_094341.jpg

20190324_172329.jpg

Sonny188

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have 31K on mine now...No specific complaint...I will run them until they are done and then replace with Michelin...I find that as long as I adjust air pressure according to the temps so that cold is 38-39 that they are a very comfortable ride...If I do not...Neither do they...

Lucy Girl

Military, Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 V6
All 4 of mine are out of round. 21 miles on my truck. Sucks

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Really seems like quality control is the issue with the SRAs.

It's been my experience that most factory installed tires are not the greatest. My wife's 2017 Jeep GC has Michelins from the factory and at 27k they're almost at the wear bars. IDK what it is about factory tires but I have yet to have a vehicle that the factory tires have lasted more than 30k or so..

Timway61

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L Gasoline V6
I live in Florida where we get these torrential rains, ****** hot roads & sandy roads. I also go to Wisconsin one or two times a year in February and August, no problems with the snow or ice while driving. So the Goodyear SRA’s have served me well.

TigreST

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well this topics gone flat!:D

T.