Stock or oversized pistons?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jonathanhudaon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Will be doing a complete motor upgrade in the near future with ported head, forged internals, new lifters, moe’s performance cam, 87mm throttle body, ported intake and LT headers (along with my custom exhaust I already have). What I’m wondering if it’s worth my time to have oversized pistons or keep to stock sizing? Fyi will be keeping the truck NA.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Just doing oversized pistons won’t gain you much. Better of doing a striker kit, especially if you’re already going to forged internals.

How much power you wanting to run? The stock crank is good for 650whp. I’m still running the stock crank in my truck but forged rods and pistons.

OP
OP
jonathanhudaon

jonathanhudaon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Tach tech. I get that. Looking at a forged piston set there is an option for over sized pistons but that means I have to send out my block to be bored. Just wondering if the oversized are worth having to send the block out or if it’s not gonna net me much difference, so I’ll just get the drop in forged set. Also forgot I’m gonna put the 6.1L forged crank in her too.

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
I’m guessing you’re looking at the MMX KIT? The oversized pistons are only .010” bigger. The only reason to go that route would be if your cylinders are in bad shape and require machining.

OP
OP
jonathanhudaon

jonathanhudaon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
You got it. From what I herd that mmx kit is a pretty top of the line kit and ok that makes more sense to me.

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
That’s the kit that’s in my engine, no issues yet. Forged pistons will rattle a little bit when cold though.

OP
OP
jonathanhudaon

jonathanhudaon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Ok how many km’s on yours? And yeah that’s just a forged piston for yah leave it be a let her warm up right and that’s not an issue. You just have their pistons or any of their other performance upgrades? I’m very interested in a lot of their upgrades.

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
I just have the drop in piston and rod kit from them. Less thank 5000km on it since they were installed. I got the whipple direct from whipple.