Stock RES w/Sat in a 2011 Big Horn to a ??? w/nav? Is it possible? Is it worth it?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Cory D

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hey there!!

So, I'm fixing up my sister-in-law's 2011 Ram 1500 Laramie 'Big Horn' 5.7 which had a few issues... most have been straightened out, but the stock radio problem has been bugging me.

It has an 'RES' head unit (WITH Sirius sat and the Alpine upgrade with extra speakers and rear under-seat sub-woofer) and it kinda/sorta works, except the digital display on the head unit is most often very faint, if not completely black.

You have to rely on the current radio station display in the infotainment display in the instrument cluster if you want to see what station you're listening to, which isn't exactly a selling point for potential buyers. At first I thought I'd just find a direct replacement RES for cheap and call it a day, but they're not exactly plentiful in my area, and they fetch around $150 for a used one in 'okay' condition. :(

So I'm thinking, maybe it's worth it to spend a few more $ to purchase a used Nav head unit that was offered as an upgrade, but I'm not quite sure which one will work, if anything?

The stock RES head unit in there now has the standard 'wide' connector in the rear, as well as 2 antenna hook ups: one for the radio, and one for the sirius sat. A quick search on ebay seems to show that some stock Ram nav head units have similar connections (eg: REN), but others often have extra plugs that I have no idea what they're for, or how crucial they are.. (Some RHR, for example)

In short, is there a head unit with the Nav upgrade that will be plug and play(more or less) with the current RES w/Sat, or should I just resign myself to replacing it with an overpriced (imo) beat up used unit?

jawzs2

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010, 2014
Engine
1500, 3500
Take some time and browse through the threads and use the search function. This has been asked and answered numerous times. There are quite a few options available,

stimpy433

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You'll need either a RNR 730N or a RHB 430N radio to add navigation. You'll also need the GPS antenna which you can mount in the dash where the center speaker belongs. You'll need to double check but I think you'll also need to make sure it's a High Speed Bus radio.

I did the upgrade in my Challenger. You might be better off with a nice aftermarket radio instead for what the OEM radios cost.

OP
OP
Cory D

Cory D

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Take some time and browse through the threads and use the search function. This has been asked and answered numerous times. There are quite a few options available,

Okay cool, thanks. Will do that now.