Stock spare ok to use for short travel?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bobbobobbo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I see everyone ask how to get a bigger spare underneath, or bed mounted spares, etc.

Technically, can I use the stock spare to limp to the nearest garage? Or how far could I go, if I were somewhat near home?

My current tire size is 285/75R-17 which are about the height of a 35, but not the width. 2016 Ram 1500 sport, stock spare underneath.

I don't plan to use 4wd ever with a spare. I see small cars limp around with a tiny donut much smaller in diameter, not sure if the similar scenario it would hurt my ram.

Also if I should swap to back if it's a front tire blown, etc.

caulk04

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
As long as you don't have a limited slip rear end. In which case, you'd need to do some swap-a-rooney action to get the spare on the front of you had a rear flat.

LugsLeadOut84

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
It's simple....Use it to get you back on the road and replace it as soon as possible. The size is close enough.
I think those looking for bigger spares are running considerably larger tires and/or are preparing for a flat when off-roading.

OP
OP
bobbobobbo

bobbobobbo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Got it.

- I do have a limited slip rear, yes. So I should swap it to the front if so, even though that's my drive tire?

- Right, it's just the diameter of my tire is still quite a bit larger than stock, so I wasn't sure how far I'd be able to limp it back. As sometimes I travel out a bit far on the highway.

Just gathering knowledge for the future if this ever happens, thank you.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
OFF Pavement you would want to keep your speed down when using a temporary spare
ON pavement , on the side of the spare, i think the speed is on the sidewall

When was the last time that the air pressure was checked on the spare ?

If i was off roading, i would have a full sized spare in the bed
People forget, what happens when your crossing an area & have a flat & you can't get the spare out from under the vehicle

caulk04

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Putting different tire sizes on the front won't cause any hard part issue because the front axle disconnects and has an open diff anyway.

On the rear with an LSD, the mismatch in axle RPM from side to side will likely cause it to try to correct the issue as if you're losing traction...accelerated wear.

OP
OP
bobbobobbo

bobbobobbo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thank you all. This is helpful. Many on here have oversized tires, yet don't plan for what could happen if one blows.

Putting different tire sizes on the front won't cause any hard part issue because the front axle disconnects and has an open diff anyway.

On the rear with an LSD, the mismatch in axle RPM from side to side will likely cause it to try to correct the issue as if you're losing traction...accelerated wear.
Got it. So the front, I could limp home at any distance, keeping the speed down as it's still a spare tire. And it's the steering tires.

On the back, it would wear pretty.. as it would be constantly thinking it's losing traction. How many miles would be too many?

Again the true diameter difference of my current tire, and the spare, would be 31" to my current 34". So 3" diameter difference.

Tim7139

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Classic ST Crew 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi w/8 speed 3.92 gears
Got it. So the front, I could limp home at any distance, keeping the speed down as it's still a spare tire. And it's the steering tires.

On the back, it would wear pretty.. as it would be constantly thinking it's losing traction. How many miles would be too many?
The full size spare is a real tire on a real rim, so no limit on distance and speed. Fun fact it's the rim and tire are the ones you get on the base and SSV models.

If your spare is a different size than the other steer tire you will notice the vehicle pulling to one side, which gets worse under braking. I'd do a few panic stops and gauge my own comfort level. Extended driving (more than a tank of gas) increases the chance of uneaven wear on brake and suspension components.

I'd drive a mile or two with one mismatches tires on the rear on to get to safety, but I don't think the risk reward justifies trying to go much further without very frequent stops to cool down the pumpkin as it starts to build heat quite quickly.

Elvira

Reaction score
Those spares are designed to get you off the hwy and to a place for tire repair. You would be fine leaving it on the rear, if that is the flat location, for a short driving distance at a limited speed. It wouldn't make sense to jack up both ends to make sure spare was on the front because of limited slip...personally I would not want the spare on the front anyways. The limited slip diff's are built to accommodate the spare if needed...those spares are very close to exact size as rest of the tires, unless you have installed larger than oem off road tires.

Badger 13

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Dodge Ram 1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
My 2013 had the "temporary" spare tire & wheel. I'm not a fan of using a "temporary" spare tire. I found a steel wheel and mounted the same size tire tire my truck has on it. It fits just fine in the spare tire location. It is just a nice piece of mind having a "real" spare tire.

retired

Votes republican and identifies as a he/him
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I would try it before you need it (not on the rear with lsd tho). See what it does not your traction control. might be continually kicking in which would roast your brakes after a while.