Strange issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

usmc1217

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hi all.

I recently purchased a ‘21 limited. The truck has been amazing in every area and leaves little to complain about.
However, I have noticed two things. These might be minor but hopefully easy fix. My steering wheel makes a strange clicking noise when the wheel is being turned left. Almost the same noise as when you fighting a zip tie.
Secondly. My passenger heated seat stopped working. I press the button on the touchscreen and it shows the red flame icon then turns off.

I plan on taking it to the dealer ship as I have warranty, I also got extended warranty that covers everything. But my experience with this particular dealer (service dept) has been pretty poor.

Any advise on how to handle this? I’ve heard some people refer to ram cares but I’m not sure what or who they are.

Any help is appreciated!

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
There is some real crappy service departments at dealerships. You don't have to bring your truck to the purchasing dealer for warranty work.
I'd see how the dealership does repair the truck first and then if needed you can contact RamCares by sending them a PM or mention them in a post by putting the @ in front of their name

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
In Fremont Calif., it has not reached 40 F yet, has it ?

I believe for the seats to heat up, it has to get down to a certain temperature

Is your Ram a 4X4 ?
Fluid level OK ?

British Bulldog

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 etorque
That could be your clock spring in the wheel making noise. Easily diagnosed and repaired for even a crap dealership.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Is your Ram a 4X4 ?
Fluid level OK ?
U can manually turn them on. Also, when temp 40 and below, if they are setup to turn on in auto comfort setting, they will turn on. I do not know on higher trim, on my lowly Bighorn Drivers Seat and Steering wheel turn at at 40 degrees. There is no provision for Pax seat, may be in higher trims. My PAX seat is heated, but I have to turn on manually.

turkeybird56

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hi all.

I recently purchased a ‘21 limited. The truck has been amazing in every area and leaves little to complain about.
However, I have noticed two things. These might be minor but hopefully easy fix. My steering wheel makes a strange clicking noise when the wheel is being turned left. Almost the same noise as when you fighting a zip tie.
Secondly. My passenger heated seat stopped working. I press the button on the touchscreen and it shows the red flame icon then turns off.

I plan on taking it to the dealer ship as I have warranty, I also got extended warranty that covers everything. But my experience with this particular dealer (service dept) has been pretty poor.

Any advise on how to handle this? I’ve heard some people refer to ram cares but I’m not sure what or who they are.

Any help is appreciated!
Either what CRASH said, or go to another dealership if U R not satisfied. I do not take my RAM to local place. I drive 45 minutes to an hour away to another dealership.

turkeybird56

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
There is some real crappy service departments at dealerships. You don't have to bring your truck to the purchasing dealer for warranty work.
I'd see how the dealership does repair the truck first and then if needed you can contact RamCares by sending them a PM or mention them in a post by putting the @ in front of their name
^^^ DITTO ^^^. I would just go to another dealership, but that's me, and I's a BOIRD.

turk helmut drive.JPG

OP
OP
usmc1217

usmc1217

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That’s a good point. I’m thinking of going to one about 30-40 min ago because I have a contact there. Thank you for the advise!

OP
OP
usmc1217

usmc1217

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That could be your clock spring in the wheel making noise. Easily diagnosed and repaired for even a crap dealership.
I’ve heard of the clockspring being an issue on these trucks. Strange seeing as it’s got only 11k miles

OP
OP
usmc1217

usmc1217

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Is your Ram a 4X4 ?
Fluid level OK ?
It has not. Only a few times. My driver seat turns on when I use autostart. Typically when my fiancé gets in she’ll turn her seat on. But now when she presses the heat icon on the touchscreen it turns red for about 2 seconds then turns off. The ventilated feature works just fine

And yup. 4x4
What fluid are you referring to?

OP
OP
usmc1217

usmc1217

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
U can manually turn them on. Also, when temp 40 and below, if they are setup to turn on in auto comfort setting, they will turn on. I do not know on higher trim, on my lowly Bighorn Drivers Seat and Steering wheel turn at at 40 degrees. There is no provision for Pax seat, may be in higher trims. My PAX seat is heated, but I have to turn on manually.
Yup. The driver side automatically turns on when I use autostart and it’s cold outside. But the issue now is with passenger seat. I press the icon and see the heat symbol but turns off after about 2 seconds

CanRebel

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Yup. The driver side automatically turns on when I use autostart and it’s cold outside. But the issue now is with passenger seat. I press the icon and see the heat symbol but turns off after about 2 seconds
I'd guess there is short or connector is loose somewhere. I wouldn't keep turning it on though, until it's solved/fixed.

Rlaf75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
For $h!ts and giggles I'd try disconnecting the battery for a few minutes to see if anything "resets". Of course you'll need to set your preferences again but it's worth a try anyway. As for the steering wheel issue, it's more than likely the clock spring that is making the noise in which case the multifunction switch needs to be replaced as it is one unit that bolts to the steering column behind the wheel. It's not a crazy job to replace so bring it to a dealer of your choosing. I'm a fleet mechanic for about 150 Ram promaster van's so I can confidently say that getting 11k miles out of it is pretty good considering the majority of promasters I service had them replaced with much less mileage than that.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
USMC1217. SEMPER FI from an old navy doc.

Definitely go to the dealer where you have a contact. I Wouldn't touch it, use that warranty. Also see if they can set you up with a loaner.

turkeybird56

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hi all.

Any help is appreciated!
LOOK under the PAX seat and look at the heater unit. Square metal box, about 4" X 4". Check the connections to the unit. Also, look and see if it is mounted under the seat or laying on the floorboard. Maybe not mounted and moving around. When I got MY 19, I heard a banging/sliding when driving truck and located sound. It was the heat unit that was not mounted up under the seat, but laying on the "floor" moving with the wires connected. Just a Thought. Might not be the issue, but worth a look.

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L

Definitely go to the dealer where you have a contact. I Wouldn't touch it, use that warranty. Also see if they can set you up with a loaner.
^^This. Having a contact can make a big difference. And to get ramcares' attention you just need to tag @RamCares and they'll get pinged.

OP
OP
usmc1217

usmc1217

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
For $h!ts and giggles I'd try disconnecting the battery for a few minutes to see if anything "resets". Of course you'll need to set your preferences again but it's worth a try anyway. As for the steering wheel issue, it's more than likely the clock spring that is making the noise in which case the multifunction switch needs to be replaced as it is one unit that bolts to the steering column behind the wheel. It's not a crazy job to replace so bring it to a dealer of your choosing. I'm a fleet mechanic for about 150 Ram promaster van's so I can confidently say that getting 11k miles out of it is pretty good considering the majority of promasters I service had them replaced with much less mileage than that.
Good idea. I’ll try that before taking it in. I just don’t want to be without my truck for a while haha

OP
OP
usmc1217

usmc1217

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Semper Fi! And happy Veterans Day to you Sir.

OP
OP
usmc1217

usmc1217

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
^^This. Having a contact can make a big difference. And to get ramcares' attention you just need to tag @RamCares and they'll get pinged.
Thank you for that info! I wasn’t sure what I needed to do to reach them.

OP
OP
usmc1217

usmc1217

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
LOOK under the PAX seat and look at the heater unit. Square metal box, about 4" X 4". Check the connections to the unit. Also, look and see if it is mounted under the seat or laying on the floorboard. Maybe not mounted and moving around. When I got MY 19, I heard a banging/sliding when driving truck and located sound. It was the heat unit that was not mounted up under the seat, but laying on the "floor" moving with the wires connected. Just a Thought. Might not be the issue, but worth a look.
I’ll go check it out and report what I find! Happy Veterans Day to you.