Stumped! Anyone else have any idea.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

O3hemiram7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Let me start off by saying thanks for having me on the thread. Merry Christmas. I hope I can both be active and helpful and get the help I need from time to time.

I have an 03 5.7 Hemi 4x4 4 door with 198k miles has been my daily for over a year. Has always started first turn and motor wise has never given me a single issue. My 19 year old was driving old reliable to work driving 55mph down the road and she stalled. We towed her back to the house couldnt get her to restart and did a compression test. She is showing lower than 5psi on every single cylinder 4 she is showing no compression at all 4 she is showing below 5psi actually. She did not smoke, use oil, make any noises that she wasnt supposed to. Did not have a loss of power or anything that would suggest worn rings and even though sudden loss of all compression in all cylinders while driving perfectly normal would be very odd wouldnt it? We thought exactly what you are currently thinking pulled the valve covers and turned her over by hand all rockers are moving as they should, we pulled the timing chain cover and chain and tensioner look good and timing mark's are aligned as they should be. So I am at a total loss at this point. We did a wet test of the cylinders still nothing for compression. Was running strong and normal when it stalled cooling system was fine, was not smoking at all, anybody got any ideas as to what could cause a sudden complete loss of compression on all 8? What's stranger the 4 cylinders at the coeners of the block are the ones that are getting the 5psi and the 4 in the center are the ones with absolute 0 psi. Any help you could give would be appreciated I have been reduced to driving my old Chevy CK 2wd until I can get this figured out.

chri5k

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
Did it shear off the pin on the front of the cam? Take off the cam sprocket to check. If the pin is sheared, the sprocket will not be indexed on the cam properly. The cam will still move and the timing marks on the sprockets will still be correct but the cam will be in the wrong position.

Also check the key on the lower cam sprocket that is on the crankshaft. If this has sheared it will also cause the cam to not be properly indexed.

Last edited:

gofishn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 5th Gen, Big Horn, 4X4, Crew Cab, 6'4" Box
Engine
hemi 5.7L, 345 cu in
Ruined the Timing, in some manner. reason you have no compression, to speak of, on any cylinder. everything is open, when piston is at top and closed when piston is moving away from top. Out of sequence. now start diagnosing. Yank vavle covers, bring #1 up to TDC and see what the hell is going on.

Might want to have a serious chat with the 19yr old kid.

Just driving it like I had a cop in the truck beside me, Dad, honest.
INtroduce him to tire tread indicator and explain what those black rubber marks left on roads actually are and why front tires have more tread than rears.
LOL, got a 21 yr old boy myself.

ASk me hwo I know......

Bloody_Knuckles

USN 81-86
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I agree with chri5k. I has to be out of time. Try this, remove the rocker arms on one bank and turn it to BDC, open a valve, and then crank to TDC to check compression.

madtrucker2016

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Time to pull it out and go over it then put it back .change stuff that's easy to change when out

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I've never seen zero or less than five even on engines that have had holes in pistons lol...ok, stupid question, please don't get offended, I have to ask...you only removed one spark plug out from each cylinder for the test, right? If yes then the most likely culprits are a spinning cam gear (pin and bolt have failed) or failed timing chain. Does it have the original engine?

OP
OP
O3hemiram7

O3hemiram7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I will check the cam pin and sprocket today. Yes only one plug removed for the compression test, not offended understand why you asked. We live in a world where kids eat tide pods. I keep thinking it has to be timing related too and specifically cam shaft or timing chain. My first guess with the symptoms I had was a broken cam shaft or timing chain before I pulled everything off and inspected. That's what had me at a loss after they checked out. Mine would have said he was ******* it if he had been. He has been wrenching all of his life built his first engine at 8. I have also never seen one at 0 or below 5 psi or where it effects all 8 cylinders at once 1 or 2 really low yes but never every single cylinder. Forgot to mention it turns over like it has no compression too. Fast spin over

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Fast spin over like that, your crank and cam are definitely no longer connected....

Karlsweg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
When it turns over, does it sound like it’s farting out of the exhaust. If so I would venture to guess the timing chain is broken.

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Did you happen to get a shot of everything still in place before you removed the gear? Is the chain intact?

OP
OP
O3hemiram7

O3hemiram7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I didnt get a before pic. But the chain was intact and the timing marks were lining up.

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
And the crank gear was good (still sitting on the key)?

LoneWolf3574

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If your timing chain is intact and your timing marks line up as they should, the only thing that I can think of is that you somehow bent every single valve. I know, it sounds impossible, but it is the only thing that I can think of and I can't even imagine how someone could even do that. Maybe run the rpm too high and managed to float the valves causing them to crash into the pistons? I don't know, I have never heard of nor seen an engine fail to get compression on all cylinders ever.

Grab a boroscope or endoscope if you have access to one or are willing to purchase a cheap one from Amazon and carefully take a look inside of a couple of cylinders, maybe you can find the problem that way. Keep us posted, I'm REALLY curious about this now.

McBroom

U.S.Marine Veteran Retired 88-2000
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
The only question's that haven't been asked yet are:
Before it stalled out was there a backfire?
What condition are the pushrods??
Are any of the rockers bent or off the top of the valve???

Blue Mule

LoneWolf3574

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The only question's that haven't been asked yet are:
Before it stalled out was there a backfire?
What condition are the pushrods??
Are any of the rockers bent or off the top of the valve???

Blue Mule
All very good questions to ask, I can reasonably say that I have never seen or heard of a backfire causing a loss of compression on all the cylinders. Damaged pushrods can still allow a cylinder to generate compression as the springs cause any valve to fail closed as would a failed rocker or lifter. The big money question here my dear brother-in-arms is why are none of his eight cylinders getting any compression at all.

This is a teardown I'd actually like to participate in...
As would I

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Bring any cylinder to TDC on the compression stroke - then put some compressed air into the cylinder through a plug hole and see where the air comes out. It has to come out somewhere - intake, exhaust, or crankcase.
IF it is coming out of the intake or exhaust, pull the rockers and see if it still does it. If it doesn't leak with the rockers off it is out of time, if it still leaks with the rockers off then you have a valve problem - seats, bent valves, etc.